SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#483486 - 12/10/19 07:12 AM Re: At Donny's (Dnj) request ... [Re: saxxman]
Dnj Offline

Gary wow I forgot about that version.... clap

Just wonderful I am glad you found it for us to listen again.

Also....I doubt it but would love to hear Chas or Russ
do some kind of Jazz version on Hammond organ that would be koool.

#483495 - 12/10/19 08:10 AM Re: At Donny's (Dnj) request ... [Re: tony mads usa]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Randy and Donny, thanks for the compliments, guys. And, yes, I would love to hear Chas and Russ do this song on the B3 - I'm confident they would do fantastic renditions.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#483517 - 12/10/19 10:49 AM Re: At Donny's (Dnj) request ... [Re: saxxman]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By saxxman

Ok Tony - here you go - hot off the SX900 Press - my "Chill Version" of "Mary Did You Know". Hope you like it! Sure love the Baby G!

Mary Did You Know - SX900

Very nice version Randy

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#483518 - 12/10/19 10:51 AM Re: At Donny's (Dnj) request ... [Re: rikkisbears]
Dnj Offline

Rikki how about an Aussy version🤔🎄

#483519 - 12/10/19 10:54 AM Re: At Donny's (Dnj) request ... [Re: travlin'easy]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Great renditions, Tony and Randy. I recorded this several years ago and recorded it on my S-950's onboard recorder. Pretty sure that I posted it here as well, but cannot recall.

Click here to play Mary Did You Know

Merry Christmas Everyone,

Gary cool

Thank you Gary for another great version.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#483520 - 12/10/19 10:56 AM Re: At Donny's (Dnj) request ... [Re: tony mads usa]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Sorry, I won't be doing it for several reasons. First, I have to sadly report that my main ax, my KeyB Duo Mk111, died on me about two weeks ago and although heartbroken, I have not yet made any effort to get it repaired (if it's even possible). It started with a low hum (like a ground lift hum) which I ignored for about a month and then suddenly while I was playing, it let out an ear-splitting blast (which I was sure had blown my EV Sx250 speakers). I yanked out every wire I could get my hands on while simultaneously trying to unplug everything. A line mixer, BK7m (my 'drum machine'), and my VP770 were also plugged in but I knew instinctively that it was the organ. I confirmed this later with earphones into the organ. Sorry to diverge like this but I feel like crying every time I think about it.

I have three other organs BUT, my Nord C2D (and 3300) is packed up in a storage closet where they've been since I stopped gigging; my Nord C1 is currently set up as a controller for my Legend Exp (which works very well, BTW). The problem is, that this setup doesn't even come close to my KeyB soundwise, even though the Legend Exp is supposed to have the same engine as the full-size Legend (which is supposed to be a replacement for and improvement on, the KeyB). That is pure BS. Unless I got a defective unit the Legend Exp was a big disappointment for me. Wow, and this is only reason 1 smile smile.

The other reason is that although it's a simple but beautiful song, I don't (personally) think it lends itself very well to Jazz. It's one of those melodies that's too 'pretty' to be 'messed' with. I went to YouTube to get some ideas on a jazz approach and listened to maybe 15-20 jazz or 'jazzed-up' versions and I didn't like ANY of them. Most featured Sax (one of my favorite instruments) and they just left me cold. This is definitely a 'vocal' piece. Loved the Pentonic version put up by Uncle Dave. All the Synthzone versions were as good or better than the professional and semi-professional versions I heard on YouTube. I thought Donny's performance was one of his best ever. I had heard it before and praised it back then. Randy did his usual flawless job and Tony and Gary gave very moving performances of this lovely tune.

Sorry for this endless post. Just didn't want to ignore or reject a request without giving a reason.

chas

#483521 - 12/10/19 11:22 AM Re: At Donny's (Dnj) request ... [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Thanks Chas appreciate it,.....
I can understand the difficulty in doing a jazz version of this particular song for sure,...not impossible,...
but unique in that capacity for sure. I hope you can get the keyboard serviced asap & and a quick turnaround too so you can get back to playing it as it sounds dear to your heart.

Take care

#483522 - 12/10/19 11:22 AM Re: At Donny's (Dnj) request ... [Re: Dnj]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

Cough! Cough! Cough! (clearing my throat ) sorry can’t sing. Haha

My playing’s not that great either, it appears. Haha
10 year old grandson took up learning sax 3 months ago, so we thought we’d do some Xmas carols practice on the weekend for his band practice.
Granddaughter on pa800, ( she plays melody by ear) little fellow on his sax, me on the sx.
What can I say, we were...... ( lucky the neighbor didn’t call the police for disturbing the peace) haha

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#483523 - 12/10/19 11:28 AM Re: At Donny's (Dnj) request ... [Re: cgiles]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Sorry, I won't be doing it for several reasons. First, I have to sadly report that my main ax, my KeyB Duo Mk111, died on me about two weeks ago and although heartbroken, I have not yet made any effort to get it repaired (if it's even possible). It started with a low hum (like a ground lift hum) which I ignored for about a month and then suddenly while I was playing, it let out an ear-splitting blast (which I was sure had blown my EV Sx250 speakers). I yanked out every wire I could get my hands on while simultaneously trying to unplug everything. A line mixer, BK7m (my 'drum machine'), and my VP770 were also plugged in but I knew instinctively that it was the organ. I confirmed this later with earphones into the organ. Sorry to diverge like this but I feel like crying every time I think about it.

chas

Chas, so sorry to read about the organ. Hopefully it can be repaired.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#483524 - 12/10/19 11:29 AM Re: At Donny's (Dnj) request ... [Re: rikkisbears]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By rikkisbears
Originally Posted By Dnj

Cough! Cough! Cough! (clearing my throat ) sorry can’t sing. Haha

My playing’s not that great either, it appears. Haha
10 year old grandson took up learning sax 3 months ago, so we thought we’d do some Xmas carols practice on the weekend for his band practice.
Granddaughter on pa800, ( she plays melody by ear) little fellow on his sax, me on the sx.
What can I say, we were...... ( lucky the neighbor didn’t call the police for disturbing the peace) haha

Ok we understand Rikki...
maybe one of these days you'll grace us
with a tune would love to listen..
Happy Holiday to you and Yours.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online