Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#483178 - 12/08/19 02:16 PM Re: Genos Orchestra Swing1 style [Re: cgiles]
Crossover Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
(Help me out Uncle Dave, what's the plural of GENOS?) smile smile

chas

I guess it's "Genoi". Greek nouns with -os have -oi as a plural. Like 1 Gyros, 2 Gyroi wink

Edited by Crossover (12/08/19 02:17 PM)

#483179 - 12/08/19 02:20 PM Re: Genos Orchestra Swing1 style [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Kinda like Moose, Dave. You have a single moose, or a herd of moose. Lots of things with no plural. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#483189 - 12/08/19 02:54 PM Re: Genos Orchestra Swing1 style [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy

Be nice to us old people, Chas. I, as I have stated many times in the past, am NOT a musician! I was an entertainer that used an arranger keyboard to enhance the songs and music I performed - sure wish I could still do it, but unfortunately, life is like a roll of toilet paper - the closer you get to the end of the roll, the faster it comes off. wink

All the best,

Gary cool

Yeah Gary, maybe that did sound harsh, but to be honest, it wasn't YOU I had in mind. Also, I was trying to make the point that a guy/gal that's highly proficient on an acoustic instrument (like Randy), is probably going to do a better job of emulating that or a similar instrument. A horn player is going to think like a horn player, sing like a horn player, whistle like a horn player, solo like a horn player when on keyboards. The downside is that because I like his Sax work so much, no matter what he does on arranger I'm still always going to think of him primarily as a Sax player. The upside is that BEING a horn player, he probably know a little better than the rest of us which accompaniment voices best compliment the solo horn voice. JMO.

chas

#483195 - 12/08/19 03:32 PM Re: Genos Orchestra Swing1 style [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Can't argue with that, Chas - he is a great sax player and I am fortunate enough to have met with him in person and obtained one of his CDs, which I frequently listen to when I'm driving.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#483196 - 12/08/19 03:33 PM Re: Genos Orchestra Swing1 style [Re: cgiles]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Originally Posted By cgiles
Originally Posted By Bernie9

Since i'm at it, one more observation; How soon some people dismiss their prior keyboards as crap as soon as the new one arrives. I suppose it is protecting their decision to spend the big bucks. I say enjoy what you have, but don't naysay others, who, in your opinion, have a lesser instrument, when it could be just right for them.

Wow!!!! And I thought it was just me. Wait long enough and the truth WILL emerge.

ALSO, for those of you marveling at Randy's horn emulation skills, that's because he's a MUSICIAN, not a 'singer' using an arranger to disguise his lack of musical/playing skills. JMO, though. BTW Randy, wish I could find a Sax voice that sounded as authentic as your trombone voice. Sadly, that seems to be the hardest (at least for me) to emulate on a keyboard. I think it's because the instrument itself has so many nuances (of tone and expression) that it's near impossible to capture with the controls available on most synths (including arangers). Breath controllers help but they seem to have gone out of fashion, I don't know why? Anyhoo, congrats to all you guys and gals out there who are happy and satisfied with your BABY GENOS'(S ?). (Help me out Uncle Dave, what's the plural of GENOS?) smile smile

chas

Thanks Chas for the ever-so-kind words on my musician side. As all of us, I am happy to be a "work in progress". And, thankfully, the arrangers offer a wonderful avenue for learning and enjoying the fun of generating music.

On the sax thing, I rarely use a sax voice on the arrangers because you are right - the sax sounds and expressive capabilities are so broad that they are extremely difficult to create - much less play with expression. I have a Yamaha WX5 wind controller in the closet and the companion Yamaha VL70 tone module - they do a reasonable job of imitating a variety of wind instruments, but even when I played the WX5 I usually stayed w/the flutes, trombone, muted trumpets and fluegel sounds which are so much more realistic. I have a friend in Nashville who plays the wind controller exclusively. He has done very well with it and has even sold music to Time-Life. He's a rare case though - as you say, the wind controllers are a great idea that never really caught on like they could have.

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#483211 - 12/08/19 04:31 PM Re: Genos Orchestra Swing1 style [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I do believe that playing other instruments help a lot when emulating those sounds and arrangements on an arranger keyboard.
I started out playing Trumpet, then in college played Bass Guitar, then lead Guitar, then drums. Then the band back home needed an organ player about the time I graduated so I bought one and learned to play on the bandstand mostly. We had always had a piano and/or organ at home because my mom played, but I really never played them except to fool around a little.
The day after arrangers were invented, I sold my last big old huge heavy ugly organ, leslie, bench, pedals, dollies, etc., and never looked back.
Wish I had learned Sax at some point! Love to hear 'em.

#483225 - 12/08/19 06:38 PM Re: Genos Orchestra Swing1 style [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I think from the first AKB I had I said that the sax is the one instrument that sounds the least 'real' ... the closest I ever personally got was a 'Sweet' or 'Soft' Alto on my technics Kn6000 ... made me think of Paul Desmond ...

#483240 - 12/08/19 08:18 PM Re: Genos Orchestra Swing1 style [Re: tony mads usa]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I prefer Ketron saxes over Yamaha, Korg, or Roland.

Edited by sparky589 (12/08/19 08:19 PM)

#483248 - 12/08/19 09:49 PM Re: Genos Orchestra Swing1 style [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Ketron saxes ARE good. And there is a great Alto Sax on the EA7.
In fact, I think all the natural sounds on Ketron are really good.

#483259 - 12/09/19 05:51 AM Re: Genos Orchestra Swing1 style [Re: Dnj]
DannyUK Offline

Hi Donny, that's really beautiful, thanks for sharing. I really love the gentle/mellow/softness of how it sounds here.

Hi Randy, that's lovely/superb playing and really enjoyed it too, thanks for sharing also.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online