Dnj Offline

Randy,... We weren't talking to each other
let's keep it that way please.

Edited by Dnj (12/08/19 11:49 AM)

#483157 - 12/08/19 11:22 AM Re: Genos Orchestra Swing1 style [Re: Dnj]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
Randy... We weren't talking to each other k we td keep it that way please.

We wouldn't be "talking" had you not decided to "go negative" in response to my SX900 demo. I'd venture a bet that your hatred of anything "non-Genos" will likely discourage others from posting any performance demo's (unless they have a Genos). Way to go! Just sayin'...

"No talk" works for me. No loss in this case as talking to you has always been and always will be a "one way street".

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#483159 - 12/08/19 11:28 AM Re: Genos Orchestra Swing1 style [Re: saxxman]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By saxxman
Originally Posted By leeboy
My kind of arranger music....I hope the Trombone on the SX is pretty good as I really like them. If not maybe I can tweek it a little...

Have to say the Genos sure has a wonderful set of voices and that T-bone sure exemplifies them! Lee, I took a stab at this tune using the same style on the SX900. Only a single voice (Sweet T-Bone) in the right hand. Perhaps if I added additional voices like Baritone horn I could coax a little more ambiance out of it, but the single sound seems to work well here. Hope you enjoy listening to the "Lil G" giving the same tune a whirl...

White Xmas - SX900 Demo

Hi Randy,
really enjoyed that. Brilliant bit of playing. Your saxophone playing skills , translate into your trombone keyboard playing skills, luv the piano.
Sounded fantastic.

Only one tiny thing, I found the bells a teeny weeny bit overpowering, maybe tiny bit softer?. Sorry,hope you don’t mind me mentioning that.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#483161 - 12/08/19 11:36 AM Re: Genos Orchestra Swing1 style [Re: Dnj]
saxxman Offline

Rikki - thanks for the listen! Yep, the bells were "a ringing" - multipad a bit too loud. Probably ingrained in me from the days when I was 5 and my Dad played Xmas tunes on the piano. He always called me over to play the "bells" using two of the upper keys on the piano. I am sure I drowned him out too! HA HA.

Thanks for the kind words on the rendition. I guess I do tend to rely on the horn player in me when on the keys. Yammie put together a great style and it was a fun song to record. The "bone" on the SX900 is sweet sounding! Also, Love the German guy's website. Happy Holidays!

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#483162 - 12/08/19 11:43 AM Re: Genos Orchestra Swing1 style [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Randy,
Rikki beat me to it. I plain loved it, not only for the trombove voice, but how you played it. Your years with the sax has,indeed, given you an edge, like Don does with the guitar. Those little embellishments make all the difference, and, supports the notion the it is the player, not the keyboard.

You guys can poo poo all you want, but Sweet Trombone on my lowly 970 is almost as good. If I knew how to lengthen the attack and make it a bit more legato, it would be even better.

Since i'm at it, one more observaion; How soon some people dismiss their prior keyboards as crap as soon as the new one arrives. I suppose it is protecting their decision to spend the big bucks. I say enjoy what you have, but don't naysay others, who, in your opinion, have a lesser instrument, when it could be just right for them.

#483165 - 12/08/19 12:06 PM Re: Genos Orchestra Swing1 style [Re: Bernie9]
saxxman Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
Hi Randy,
Rikki beat me to it. I plain loved it, not only for the trombove voice, but how you played it. Your years with the sax has,indeed, given you an edge, like Don does with the guitar. Those little embellishments make all the difference, and, supports the notion the it is the player, not the keyboard.

You guys can poo poo all you want, but Sweet Trombone on my lowly 970 is almost as good. If I knew how to lengthen the attack and make it a bit more legato, it would be even better.

Bernie - thanks so much! I do notice that when I play the horn sounds on the keyboard, I feel more like a horn player playing a horn than a horn player playing the keyboard. That is a testament to the quality of sounds that Yamaha (Korg, Roland, et al) have built into these instruments. So the instrument truly does inspire me to do my best to execute the music as it would be done by a trombone player in this case. So I am most grateful that you think I did it justice!

I also agree that the trombone sound is SWEET! Just a nice touch of vibrato in there and a nice mellow sound. The attack on the Genos has an edge for sure (as you'd expect). But as a guy who served 8 years in the Air Force band surrounded by trombone players, I am quite content with the quality of sounds I get from this keyboard. I salute and envy the Genos owners but am very happy with my keyboard!

Since i'm at it, one more observaion; How soon some people dismiss their prior keyboards as crap as soon as the new one arrives. I suppose it is protecting their decision to spend the big bucks. I say enjoy what you have, but don't naysay others, who, in your opinion, have a lesser instrument, when it could be just right for them.

Thanks for that too. Could not agree with you more! One thing I love about SZ is that we (hopefully) are all in here for the fun of just using arrangers and learning from others how to have even more fun with these wonderful inventions. Specifically, that is, arrangers of all types, sizes, manufacturers, and prices. Kinda like a car club where you have a guy who absolutely loves and would not give up his VW Beetle - yet he gets along great with the guy with the Jaguar. They are both happy for each other!

Thanks again for your kind words and for the listen! Happy Holidays Bernie!

PS - parting with my S970 was a very tough choice. Thank goodness Yamaha "Grandfathered" so many wonderful features and sounds from the S-line into the SX900. Combining the best of the S-line and adding many of the desirable features from the Genos was a wise move.

#483172 - 12/08/19 12:58 PM Re: Genos Orchestra Swing1 style [Re: Bernie9]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia

Hi Bernie,
Why don’t you ask, someone may be able to tell you how to do it.
Uncle Dave, altered a piano sound the other day to brighten it up a bit, so I asked him if there would be a way of softening up the sound of some really harsh string samples ( discovered one thing, don’t buy something that isn’t specifically for your model, it said psr’s, then In fine print, psr s970.)
On the sx they sounded really harsh, Dave pointed me in the right direction ie these are the 2 type of adjustments that will help , sure enough , played around with it, now they’re useable.
So maybe your trombone can be altered to suit.

Hi Bernie,
in some cases you’re probably right.
Some of us just wanted new toys. me, me, me. ( hasn’t made me a better musician, only I can do that thru practice) Haha
And that’s the main thing enjoy what you have.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#483174 - 12/08/19 01:59 PM Re: Genos Orchestra Swing1 style [Re: Bernie9]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA

Wow!!!! And I thought it was just me. Wait long enough and the truth WILL emerge.

ALSO, for those of you marveling at Randy's horn emulation skills, that's because he's a MUSICIAN, not a 'singer' using an arranger to disguise his lack of musical/playing skills. JMO, though. BTW Randy, wish I could find a Sax voice that sounded as authentic as your trombone voice. Sadly, that seems to be the hardest (at least for me) to emulate on a keyboard. I think it's because the instrument itself has so many nuances (of tone and expression) that it's near impossible to capture with the controls available on most synths (including arangers). Breath controllers help but they seem to have gone out of fashion, I don't know why? Anyhoo, congrats to all you guys and gals out there who are happy and satisfied with your BABY GENOS'(S ?). (Help me out Uncle Dave, what's the plural of GENOS?) smile smile

chas

#483176 - 12/08/19 02:08 PM Re: Genos Orchestra Swing1 style [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By cgiles

ALSO, for those of you marveling at Randy's horn emulation skills, that's because he's a MUSICIAN, not a 'singer' using an arranger to disguise his lack of musical/playing skills. JMO, though.
chas

Be nice to us old people, Chas. I, as I have stated many times in the past, am NOT a musician! I was an entertainer that used an arranger keyboard to enhance the songs and music I performed - sure wish I could still do it, but unfortunately, life is like a roll of toilet paper - the closer you get to the end of the roll, the faster it comes off. wink

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#483177 - 12/08/19 02:12 PM Re: Genos Orchestra Swing1 style [Re: cgiles]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By cgiles
(Help me out Uncle Dave, what's the plural of GENOS?

Hmmmmmm .... Geni? lol

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online