SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#482323 - 11/29/19 06:35 AM Post Only Sx900 thoughts PLEASE
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
We are many different players, with different desires and needs I would like to share mine.

I used registrations to call up everything I needed to play a song; rarely used the OTS.

In the best days of my career I used Technics keyboards. There was A,B,C, and 1 to 8 registrations. I used 1 to 8 to select all that I needed to play the song. A,B,C, were used to select different type of bands.
1-Big Band sound.
2-Latin Band
3-Rock Band

The A,B,C, registrations called up instruments, volumes, and effects, no styles. That gave me three bands, and eight songs. Today we might say eight song sets, and three band sets. I had 3 user sets, three different pages, giving room for 24 songs, and 9 different bands. I used this set up for many years, it served me well.

Yamaha Sx900:
I am using the same type of set up for my Sx900. In many ways it is very much like the Kn7000 with a lot more. I love pressing a trumpet, and then pressing Demo to hear how it sounds.

When I select piano in #1, I have Vibes in #2, and Guitar in #3, both #2 and #3, are muted. The left hand is the same piano as #1; both my right and left hands work together. Left hand volume may be as high as 85. working both hands is part of my organ days.

After selecting the instruments, I move on to the Accomp. I remember the Big Band days when a trumpet player took a solo – I delete pats, change volumes, and sometimes change instruments. I do my best to create that which I remember.
The same is done with all 8 Regs.
Only one Reg. is used on songs that are not very important. If the songs are more important I use 4 Regs.

I a now working on calling up a different style that can blend with the first one, then going back to the first one, giving the song more life. This just the beginning, there is more that I can do – like the Pads, the EQs, and changing Variations. I have not been able to change the Octave of instrument #1 without change all three right hand sounds. HELP PLEASE.

PlayList --- Tag --- Select from list, I am ready to select the next song. I will only do the above to the songs that I love.
As I learn more I will post.

All opinions welcome, I am here to learn, to increase my pleasure,

John C.

#482336 - 11/29/19 07:33 AM Re: Post Only Sx900 thoughts PLEASE [Re: bruno123]
Dnj Offline

John.....first off sounds like you want to turn the sx900 into a
Kn unit which it is not?
Can you please be more specific as to what you actually want to do setting up the KB as reading this makes it a bit confusing confused1 ....changing styles within one song? etc....
You can easily go into the Mixer menu and go to style parts
"OCTAVE" and change each part there
and re save the Reg, OTS, sounds, etc, for the song..
trying to help but need to know more on each question.

#482344 - 11/29/19 08:36 AM Re: Post Only Sx900 thoughts PLEASE [Re: bruno123]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Originally Posted By bruno123

I have not been able to change the Octave of instrument #1 without change all three right hand sounds. HELP PLEASE.

John C.

John - here's what I did to change the octave on the individual RH parts and it worked.

1-Press a "Part Select" button above the RH instrument you want to change.
2-Press Menu>Voice Setting
3-Touch the RH part you want to change in the window and adjust the octave to what you want
4-Press Exit and resave the individual Registration (Memory>Reg Button) and then re-save the entire Registration

Is that what you were trying to do? Worked OK for me - changed the octave of RH part without effecting the octave of the other 2 parts.

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#482347 - 11/29/19 09:12 AM Re: Post Only Sx900 thoughts PLEASE [Re: Dnj]

Donny, thanks for helping. Let me clarify. I had a system on the Kn7000 that worked well. I updated it every few months. Now, I do not want to make the Sx900 into a Kn7000, but I would like to use the same, or close to it, system I was successful with. The Sx900 is not only capable of doing the same system, it is doing it better.

1-I set up the Sx900 and save it in the Reg.
2-After creating some of the 8 regs. I save it by:
3-Pressing both Regs Banks.
4-then I select SAVE
5-Then I select SAVE HERE
6-If the name/file is not there I create one, and then press OK

Octave change:
1-Press Menu
2-Press Mixer
On the left side the list is
1-Panel
2-Filter
3-EQ
4-Chorus/Reverb
5-Pan/Volume
Both Panel and Style read the same.

Donny, in every keyboard I have owned I found an Octave display. I am at a loss to find one in the Sx900. I am missing something.
John C.

PS, As far as my explanation goes, I sometimes wonder what the heck I was thinking. I better do some memory exercises.

#482351 - 11/29/19 09:24 AM Re: Post Only Sx900 thoughts PLEASE [Re: bruno123]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I didn't try it on the SX, but on Genos, you select a sound, then you just press the Sound button and a screen appears that lets you change many parameters, including the octave of any or all voices.

#482353 - 11/29/19 09:39 AM Re: Post Only Sx900 thoughts PLEASE [Re: bruno123]
Dnj Offline

here you go John ...have fun

clik the sound...>menu> voice edit>...

Attachments
mmmmmm.jpg

vvvvvvvv.jpg

Edited by Dnj (11/29/19 09:44 AM)

#482365 - 11/29/19 10:19 AM Re: Post Only Sx900 thoughts PLEASE [Re: Dnj]

Wow, thank you Donny.
See, there’s some people it pays to know. (smile)

Thanks again, John C.

#482370 - 11/29/19 10:47 AM Re: Post Only Sx900 thoughts PLEASE [Re: bruno123]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By bruno123
Wow, thank you Donny.
See, there’s some people it pays to know. (smile)

Thanks again, John C.

John you go for it buddy.....
any more questions we are here to supply if possible.. wave

#482456 - 11/30/19 03:43 AM Re: Post Only Sx900 thoughts PLEASE [Re: Dnj]

Donny, years ago a song called Green Eyes started with a Latin slow beat and ended with an up-tempo.

This can also be done using the same tempo and a similar style you started with. Purpose; to add to the excitement of the song. Adding to the release of a song makes the song more interesting.

Happy Genos playing, John C.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online