SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#481907 - 11/25/19 02:09 PM Re: OT: How time flies... [Re: travlin'easy]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Don:

Thanks for sharing that original song with us. It sure has a Willie and Waylon vibe to it... and I mean that in the most complimentary way. Really good one for me to add to my Mason Music File.

Chas:

Holy Cow that was such a nice surprise. Mr. Prysock has a vocal delivery most of us would "die for!" Then, the lady vocalist came into the picture and was equally impressive. Fantastic music and I can't tell you how much I enjoyed it.

All the best to both of you... ----Dave

#481908 - 11/25/19 02:14 PM Re: OT: How time flies... [Re: cgiles]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Originally Posted By cgiles
Here is another song that fits this post. Love Arthur, he used to date one of my aunts. Listen to the words even if you don't like the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrHcICZRqSs

chas

Very nice and appropriate song Chas. Both the vocals and music were a great listen! Songs like this along with their lyrics have a long life of their own. Here's one of my favorite "Life" recordings:

I purchased the Shirley Horn DVD (or was it VHS tape?) featuring this song over 20 years ago and I still am very moved every time I hear her sing this (or any of her other amazing songs).

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#481909 - 11/25/19 02:37 PM Re: OT: How time flies... [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Yeah Randy, I posted this tune (Here's to life) over at the bar a few weeks ago. Shirley is my 'homie' from Washington, DC. We came up around the same time. She was always reluctant to perform outside the DC area, which might account for her not getting the acclaim she deserved. I saw her last when she opened for Miles in Philadelphia. Turned out to be Miles last public appearance. Glad to see someone else appreciates her for the great artist she was.

BTW, no video but this link has better audio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTv3TONfTTQ

This is the one I posted at the bar.

chas

Edited by cgiles (11/25/19 02:49 PM)

#481935 - 11/25/19 04:32 PM Re: OT: How time flies... [Re: travlin'easy]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Thanks Chas! Yeah, Shirley was born to communicate with music for sure. Wish I had known when I was in college (no internet then) what was going on in DC. I cannot imagine how lucky the musicians who performed with her (and the audiences who got to take it all in) were. Thankfully there is some wonderful video of her performances and those wonderful interviews. What an amazing philosopher and an amazing artist she was - an inspiration for all to say the least!

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#481972 - 11/25/19 10:13 PM Re: OT: How time flies... [Re: cgiles]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By cgiles
Here is another song that fits this post. Love Arthur, he used to date one of my aunts. Listen to the words even if you don't like the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrHcICZRqSs

Chas...That IS a nice song....nice singing style....nice voice...good piano backing...and yes, the words.

I've been listening to Tony Bennett lately and really appreciating this kind of "emotional" music more. I'm wondering what Rikki thinks of this song?

#482067 - 11/26/19 12:52 PM Re: OT: How time flies... [Re: Mark79100]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Gary, what a sincere delivery of such a touching song...

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online