SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#48153 - 01/16/05 06:56 PM Help,Midi a sound modual in Technics board?
whoknew62 Offline

Loc: W. Babylon N.Y. USA
I hope I can ask this question in its shortest way.I just picked up a used Technics KN1400.I have used a KN800 for quite some time.It has seen more bar gigs and spilled drinks then I care to remember.I am self taught and a novice with all midi.
My question. I have always used a Roland Sound modual for its piano sound,Split it for bass with lower nhand,etc..I hope this dosent come out the wrong way but I am not intereted in the Technics for anything but the drum machine.Im having one heck of a time getting the Boss modual to work.Without going into detail ,as it would take many pages,I have tryed just about everything to get the modual in through Midi.Display even showed at one point,Sound Modual? I clicked yes,It said COMPLETE. I also put the midi channels the same.Midi wires in, you name it. Simply looking to play the sounds of the Roland using the Technics keyboard.I didnt put the card in. Could that be causing a problem? Any simple thing I may have overlooked? Thank you for any light that can be shed. whoknew62

------------------

#48154 - 01/16/05 07:11 PM Re: Help,Midi a sound modual in Technics board?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
you haven't made it very clear.
Are you actually using the kn's arranger functions?
or just using the keyboard to play the sounds in the roland module.

Normally you'd just have midi socket out from kn to midi IN roland module. You'd also have to set the midi channels so that they correspond.

What module are you actually using, and if you had the same setup with the kn800, wouldn't you set it up the same way.

It's just a bit difficult to understand what you're trying to do.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by whoknew62:
[B]I

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#48155 - 01/16/05 07:52 PM Re: Help,Midi a sound modual in Technics board?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
The midi did not work at all on the early KN800 as I bought one.
I was provided three different eproms before the KN800 midi would work at all and even then it was so useless as to be useless. It is a performance instrument. I still have mine and it still does a great job but midi is not part of that.
BEBOP

#48156 - 01/17/05 03:14 PM Re: Help,Midi a sound modual in Technics board?
whoknew62 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi,
you haven't made it very clear.
Are you actually using the kn's arranger functions?
or just using the keyboard to play the sounds in the roland module.

Normally you'd just have midi socket out from kn to midi IN roland module. You'd also have to set the midi channels so that they correspond.

What module are you actually using, and if you had the same setup with the kn800, wouldn't you set it up the same way.

It's just a bit difficult to understand what you're trying to do.

best wishes
Rikki

[B]I

Hi Rikki
Thank you for your reply.I am not quite sure how to reply to your post and hope this goes through.(This should give you an idea of my knoledge of midi as well,lol)
You hot the nail right on the head.i am just using the Technics Keyboard to play the sonds of the sound modual.It is a Boss Dr Synth DS-330,Actually made by Roland I believe.
I dont mean to offend anyone in the Technics forum.Technics has many wonderful sounds.There are also so many different ways to use it.I just dont have a use for all the sounds, etc.I personally can only use 2 electric piano sounds from the Technics. It has one of the better preloaded drum machines I have heard so I decided to stay with technics only for that reason.
The problem is that midi seems to have come such a long way and there seem to be infinite midi options. I dont have a use for any of these. I just play a solo act and perfer the sounds of the Boss. A few times in the past the KN800 and Boss wouldnt work .I would go through a number of midi options that were in the KN800 and eventualy hit the proper one by trial and error.
I Imagine I will have to read the book again. In the end I believe I will take it to a local music store.What I need to do is very basic. The Technics midi options are vast.Just wondered if there might be a simple thing I overlooked.Again I would like to thank you for your reply. Best regards ,Jerry

#48157 - 01/17/05 04:23 PM Re: Help,Midi a sound modual in Technics board?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Jerry,
unfortunately I don't own a kn at the moment, and I've never owned a kn1400.
If you have your manual , look up the midi section.
Main thing is to connect your midi cable, midi out from the kn to midi in on your Boss module.
I'm not sure what the options are on the kn1400, but there used to be 2 main pages

1. Where the KN was the master ie it sends out the information to another instrument, or computer.
May also have the option of having APC on or off.

2. Where the kn is the slave ie the kn acts like a sound module when using a computer or another keyboard. ( This is NOT the option you require)

Unfortunately it may just be a case of trial & error.

Sorry I'm not much help, without a manual it's hard to know what to do.

best wishes
rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#48158 - 01/17/05 06:35 PM Re: Help,Midi a sound modual in Technics board?
whoknew62 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi Jerry,
unfortunately I don't own a kn at the moment, and I've never owned a kn1400.
If you have your manual , look up the midi section.
Main thing is to connect your midi cable, midi out from the kn to midi in on your Boss module.
I'm not sure what the options are on the kn1400, but there used to be 2 main pages

1. Where the KN was the master ie it sends out the information to another instrument, or computer.
May also have the option of having APC on or off.

2. Where the kn is the slave ie the kn acts like a sound module when using a computer or another keyboard. ( This is NOT the option you require)

Unfortunately it may just be a case of trial & error.

Sorry I'm not much help, without a manual it's hard to know what to do.

best wishes
rikki

Hi Rikki
I sure appreciate the replys.
It is probably a quick fix for someone with a working knowledge of midi.After about 6 years or so of playing my last setup I never really understood Midi.The entire time I considered the KN the slave when in fact it is the master. So even with the manual I have been reading,, its basically me.
It will probably be in my best interest to see if a local music store gives lessons in midi and not just music.There are more midi options then I can count on this board.Im in N.Y. so I should be able to locate something.
I do appreciate your replys and wish you the best. Regards ,Jerry

#48159 - 01/17/05 10:27 PM Re: Help,Midi a sound modual in Technics board?
rikkisbears Offline

Good luck Jerry,
it might be just a simple setting, or it may require you turning off all the midi channels you don't want to hear, on your module.
Arranger keyboards can send out on multiple channels at once ( ie drums , bass etc), and sound modules can receive & play back all those channels, which is not what you want. You may just need to find out how to turn those channels off.

Keep in mind, the instrument that has the midi cable out is the master the instrument with the midi cable in, is the slave.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online