SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#481598 - 11/23/19 08:15 AM Re: Amazing Grace (instrumental) [Re: zuki]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Very haunting melody and sound ...

#481614 - 11/23/19 09:42 AM Re: Amazing Grace (instrumental) [Re: tony mads usa]
Harold123 Offline

Loc: Harrisville Pa USA
Gary...How did I miss this until today!...Just Beautiful...I love the Irish theme...I'm not 100% sure But I believe the words where written or Memorized and Sang by The Folks from Africa being held in the bottom of ships in Harsh conditions coming to America to be Sold as Slaves...It amazes Me to think with these conditions and No Hope they still had belief within their Hearts to Sing and survive...A terrible and Dark piece of History to always remember How blessed we all are through our Faith in God!....Sincerely Harold

#481624 - 11/23/19 10:38 AM Re: Amazing Grace (instrumental) [Re: Stephenm52]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
I prefer the Navy Band version. Still an excellent job

#481625 - 11/23/19 10:41 AM Re: Amazing Grace (instrumental) [Re: ekurburski]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By ekurburski
I prefer the Navy Band version. Still an excellent job

#481629 - 11/23/19 11:01 AM Re: Amazing Grace (instrumental) [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
The "Folks from Africa being held in the bottom of ships in Harsh conditions" didn't write or sing Amazing Grace as 1. They couldn't write or even speak English.

The song was written by a slave ship captain who got the crap scared out of him by a terrible storm off the coast of Ireland.

The song was written (based on that experience) years after he had left the slave-trading/seafaring business. It's all pretty well documented.

chas

#481631 - 11/23/19 11:16 AM Re: Amazing Grace (instrumental) [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Gary to get back to the OP before it goes south...
I listened to it again at home and those bagpipes you used
really went right thru me. YOu out did yourself this time for sure Thanx again for sharing your music.

#481636 - 11/23/19 11:40 AM Re: Amazing Grace (instrumental) [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

So correcting a previous post about the origin of the song is 'going south'? We comment about the origin of tunes all the time. Or is a post only ok if YOU post it or is somehow about you. If you think yelling 'going south' everytime I post something is going to boost your popularity or gain you more devout followers, you may be overestimating the degree to which you think you've redeemed yourself from your latest meltdown. Why don't you spend more time on that nice new Genos; maybe you'll learn how to operate it. Just sayin'.

chas

#481642 - 11/23/19 12:20 PM Re: Amazing Grace (instrumental) [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Chas, I knew the history of the song, mainly because I am a history buff and have hundreds of nautical history books here in my library. Glad you posted the song's origin, though. I never really thought about that aspect when I recorded the song. The thing I remember most about Amazing Grace is that it usually played on bagpipes during the funeral of a fallen police officer throughout much of the nation. I only attended one of those funerals, a Maryland State Trooper that was shot in the chest during a routing traffic stop on I-95. At the time, I worked for the Maryland State Police out of Headquarters in Pikesville, Maryland. I only worked there for a year, got shot at by a 15-year-old kid who stole a car, and I resigned a month later. That was way back in 1962. The salary for a trooper then was $51.50 a week. I had proposed to my wife and knew I could not make it on that salary. That's when I decided to go into the field of medical research and technology. Wow - now I guess I really took the post south. wink

Thanks again, everyone,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#481645 - 11/23/19 12:24 PM Re: Amazing Grace (instrumental) [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Gary wow you are really a true renaissance man for sure...
great story..

all the best!

#481646 - 11/23/19 12:26 PM Re: Amazing Grace (instrumental) [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Gary, I've never liked bagpipes but on this particular song it fits perfectly. Glad you feel strong enough to perform and post this. Also nice to see you getting creative with the lead voice. That's the way to keep our performances unique. Also shows the gazillion unique and untapped voice combinations in our 'older' synths. Way to go.

chas

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online