SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#481492 - 11/22/19 02:40 PM Re: 1st recording SX900 with harmony vox [Re: tony mads usa]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Well, in my initial 'critique' without any analysis, I stated that I thought the harmonies were too loud ... I would like to know what recording method you use to record a live performance

Thanks Tony. Yes, in a more controlled situation, I would mix the harmonies down a bit, but as stated - that was a fast demo with no editing. Not sure when I'll be similarly inspired, and have the time, but hopefully soon.
I have a rack mounted SD/USB recorder hooked up to the main PA mixer at the restaurant, and it grabs the entire mix in stereo. Naturally, it's not accurate, because my acoustic vocals are very present in the small room, so the recorded value isa little less than perfect, but it serves a purpose for learning and critique.
here's what I use:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1005915-REG/vocopro_sdr_4000_dual_digital_usb_sd_audio.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=Cj0KCQiAq97uBRCwARIsADTziyaK7HpOrGgUaYP0NmAQR7bYx2tuSu2ofoMH0iuyJwgLcO0xXWySSo0aAmFEEALw_wcB

#481494 - 11/22/19 02:51 PM Re: 1st recording SX900 with harmony vox [Re: jamman]
Uncle Dave Offline

Jamman,
Originally Posted By jamman

Can you kindly write a comparison for VH quality of your Korg’s TC and Digitech Vocalist VR

Sure thing. The Digitech VR was what I used when recording "A nightingale sang..." about 30 years ago. It was easy to use, followed my "scoops" well, and was surprisingly convincing when used tastefully.
The Ketron X1 had a very useable harmonizer, as you can hear in "She's no lady". That was a close second to the TC in my book.
The TC unit in the PA900 was featured on "The Prayer", and it is a simple 1 above harmony that tracked very well, and sounded cleaner to me than the VR.
The unit in the PA4x is even more powerful, and has more voices available.
In my guitar/trax rig I use a TC Voive-Live 3, and that is the best of them all. Perfect tracking, total control, and almost unlimited effects possibilities.

I find that harmonies sound best when separated (L&R) with the lead in the center. By "best" I mean they have more of a locational effect that adds to the realism.

Attachments
01 A Nightengale Sang.mp3 (27 downloads)
Dave Boyd LIVE - The Prayer (4 Eddie G).mp3 (24 downloads)
She's No Lady (X1).mp3 (16 downloads)

#481497 - 11/22/19 02:56 PM Re: 1st recording SX900 with harmony vox [Re: Uncle Dave]
zuki Offline

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/zoom-q8-hd-...g&gclsrc=ds

This is what I use for video/audio or audio (user's choice). The video quality is decent and I run directly from my Zed in stereo. Run an entire show on battery / sd. Easy editing software

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#481500 - 11/22/19 02:58 PM Re: 1st recording SX900 with harmony vox [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Some of the best audio I ever recorded was from the Zoom Q2n ( I have the PRE 4k version)
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Q2n4K--zoom-q2n-4k-handy-video-recorder-with-xy-microphone

#481511 - 11/22/19 03:29 PM Re: 1st recording SX900 with harmony vox [Re: Uncle Dave]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Jamman,
Originally Posted By jamman

Can you kindly write a comparison for VH quality of your Korg’s TC and Digitech Vocalist VR

Sure thing. The Digitech VR was what I used when recording "A nightingale sang..." about 30 years ago. It was easy to use, followed my "scoops" well, and was surprisingly convincing when used tastefully.
The Ketron X1 had a very useable harmonizer, as you can hear in "She's no lady". That was a close second to the TC in my book.
The TC unit in the PA900 was featured on "The Prayer", and it is a simple 1 above harmony that tracked very well, and sounded cleaner to me than the VR.
The unit in the PA4x is even more powerful, and has more voices available.
In my guitar/trax rig I use a TC Voive-Live 3, and that is the best of them all. Perfect tracking, total control, and almost unlimited effects possibilities.

I find that harmonies sound best when separated (L&R) with the lead in the center. By "best" I mean they have more of a locational effect that adds to the realism.

Thank you.

Just checked about VR. I believe it’s 20 years old product ( introduced in year 1999 or 2000). It lacks compression and EQ and has only reverb. But the sound is great!

#481513 - 11/22/19 03:33 PM Re: 1st recording SX900 with harmony vox [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

I rarely use compression live, and reverb is all I use on my harmonies. I add delay on the lead for some styles, though, and you're right - the VR sounded very good in it's time.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online