SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#479994 - 11/07/19 09:42 AM Just my thoughts
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Why the G70 always makes me smile.

Here is an example: A typical User program set up.
Let's say I want to build a 6 part realtime sound across the keyboard. Maybe an orchestral program.
A timpani with the velocity range set so it will only sound where I want it to.
Orchestral patches that will velocity switch where I want them.
Tumpets and Brass falls.. All velocity switched to my specs. (6 parts).
I can edit each of these with sliders changing things like cut offs, EQ, effects etc.
for each part. I can assign aftertouch to control things like modulation. Also D-beam as a controller
or sounds.

I can use a custom style, maybe change the bassline from another style, edit the parts, EQ, FX, ect.
I can link a SMF with any edits.. Match the tempo of the style to the SMF.
Adjust the parameters of the vocal/harmonizer, that will automatically adjust to SMF, or style play.

You can assign OTS for the style we are using, if you want to switch from our 6 part super patch.
And we can always switch back without any glitches. We can also switch to Piano, or Drawbar organ,
and back again.
We can run , for example the bass of the style to a separate out, return to the Aux input, use
a separate insert effect for the bass. We can route the mic out to another device.
We can save all this as a single user program.

We still have all slider controls for realtime parts, SMF parts, Style parts, mic and harmony
control, and aux input control. We also have realtime control of mastering effects.
Also make up tools and covers to change SMF's and Styles on the fly ( and return to the original
instantly).

Here is the Smile.. I can do this (write a program like this) in ten minutes or less.

If I did what I could on the E-A7 (lacking harmony , less parts, separate outs , aftertouch etc)
it would be a nightmare, the expanded sliders and touchscreen makes a difference.

A big plus, I have the 16 track sequencer to make changes in SMF.

It is truly a workstation that makes the work part easy.

Try doing something similar on a dedicated workstation, I will wait a day or so.. smile
Arpeggios are trying to duplicate our styles,, In reality we have thousands of style parts that
can't be touched with arpeggios;

Just some of my thoughts... wink

Edited by Fran Carango (11/07/19 09:44 AM)

#480014 - 11/07/19 11:10 AM Re: Just my thoughts [Re: Fran Carango]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
soooooo, you LIKE the G-70, then?
smile

#480015 - 11/07/19 11:25 AM Re: Just my thoughts [Re: Uncle Dave]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I guess the G-70 is a keeper for Fran ...
keys

#480016 - 11/07/19 11:27 AM Re: Just my thoughts [Re: Fran Carango]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
ya think? Hmmm, what gives you THAT idea?
LOL

#480017 - 11/07/19 11:28 AM Re: Just my thoughts [Re: Fran Carango]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I heard he tried to return it, but the store he bought it from went out of business eleven years ago. smile

#480018 - 11/07/19 11:29 AM Re: Just my thoughts [Re: Fran Carango]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Fran...I think you missed your calling “Father Fran” smile

#480019 - 11/07/19 11:35 AM Re: Just my thoughts [Re: Fran Carango]
DonM Offline

Good thing about a G70 is that if and when it ever dies, you can use it for a boat anchor.
smile
Seriously, Fran is the FIRST to help anytime you call on him, especially with anything Roland-related.

#480048 - 11/07/19 01:27 PM Re: Just my thoughts [Re: Fran Carango]
W Tracy Parnell Online   content

Loc: NY
Don't let them bother you Fran. smile I am waiting for a 61 key version of the G70 with a touchscreen and I'll be there. E-A7 convinced me.

#480052 - 11/07/19 01:37 PM Re: Just my thoughts [Re: Fran Carango]
DonM Offline

I'd be in for that!

#480054 - 11/07/19 01:56 PM Re: Just my thoughts [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By W Tracy Parnell
Don't let them bother you Fran. smile I am waiting for a 61 key version of the G70 with a touchscreen and I'll be there. E-A7 convinced me.

Winter Namm 2020?

#480056 - 11/07/19 01:57 PM Re: Just my thoughts [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway

Then you only wait for a 61 😁 (touchscreen is already there)
Sad that Roland jumpet off the TOTL. I often thinking about what would be next if not.
Also Technics .....
Oh well, the 3 'big ones' left in the TOTL arranger market sure manage to create good stuff.
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#480073 - 11/07/19 03:48 PM Re: Just my thoughts [Re: Gunnar Jonny]

Originally Posted By Gunnar Jonny

Then you only wait for a 61 😁 (touchscreen is already there)
Sad that Roland jumpet off the TOTL. I often thinking about what would be next if not.
Also Technics .....
Oh well, the 3 'big ones' left in the TOTL arranger market sure manage to create good stuff.

GJ,

It would have been more accurate for me to say an E-A9 with a touch screen and pad content. wink We'll see what happens, but I'm staying put until then.

#480084 - 11/07/19 05:42 PM Re: Just my thoughts [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA

It existed... for a brief time. Circa 2008 Roland offered the E-50 and E-60 which were based on the G-70 operating system. They lacked some features, including the sliders, but they were very approachable MOTL arrangers with most of Roland's feature set and touch screen. As I slowly acclimate to the BK-9 I'm hanging onto my E-50, IMO it still does some things better than the BK-9!

If you really want to buy one, set up a search on eBay.uk. Roland's marketing and customer support in the USA has been TERRIBLE. But I suspect they sold more of these in the U.K. / Europe, so you're more likely to find one on the resale market there.

Edited by TedS (11/07/19 05:46 PM)

#480090 - 11/07/19 06:18 PM Re: Just my thoughts [Re: TedS]

Originally Posted By TedS

It existed... for a brief time. Circa 2008 Roland offered the E-50 and E-60 which were based on the G-70 operating system. They lacked some features, including the sliders, but they were very approachable MOTL arrangers with most of Roland's feature set and touch screen. As I slowly acclimate to the BK-9 I'm hanging onto my E-50, IMO it still does some things better than the BK-9!

If you really want to buy one, set up a search on eBay.uk. Roland's marketing and customer support in the USA has been TERRIBLE. But I suspect they sold more of these in the U.K. / Europe, so you're more likely to find one on the resale market there.

Thanks for the idea Ted, but I would probably go back to the E-A7 before I would buy an older product. I am just a home player and don't really need anything new anyway. I like my PA900 but I might be tempted by a new Roland with a touch screen because I like the Roland OS and sound.

#480094 - 11/07/19 06:50 PM Re: Just my thoughts [Re: Fran Carango]
DonM Offline

The E50 was really nice. I played one for a couple of years. Like the EA7 a lot better though.

#480103 - 11/08/19 02:36 AM Re: Just my thoughts [Re: Fran Carango]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Every day I play my G70 and smile. Mainly because I realise that so many people don’t know what they are missing :-)

I have chopped and changed high end keyboards / workstations and synths over the years but it all stopped after getting a G70 2 years ago.

The sound quality and overall variety of sounds still amazes me for its age.

The make up tools feature is really what sets it apart from the rest.

The awesome keys (overall touch feel, length of the keys, the black keys have the ivory / organic feel)

The touch screen sensitivity is incredible - things are spaced nicely with minimal clutter.

Most of the menus are feature rich yet are not buried in pages and drop down lists / no digging back n forth through folders etc.

The OS is actually very fast and responsive.

The effects and EQ is simple and easy - yet high quality

All the drum kits sound incredible - they are flagship synth/ workstation level quality if not even higher.

If I was typing this on my computer I would go on and on but I am writing this from an iPhone so I’ll stop here. :-)

The only thing that would make me dump G70 is another Roland arranger that has all the new modernised features in the BK9 but with the G70 keys, grand X piano voice and a touch screen. I have a BK9 as a complimentary to the G70 but it still is no way a replacement for it.

#480105 - 11/08/19 03:28 AM Re: Just my thoughts [Re: Fran Carango]
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Hi Nick,
When you get that Roland , let me know , and I will relieve you of the G70, (for what you paid !!!!, no postage , pick-up is OK ).
As I do not have external speakers, I would probably move up to that level just to appreciate all you and Fran have said about this fabulous keyboard.

Ray dance

#480106 - 11/08/19 06:01 AM Re: Just my thoughts [Re: Fran Carango]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Roland has all the technology already so how hard would it be to merge a G70 and Bk-9 with a few upgraded features. Keep the weight reasonable and the price as low as possible and they will. have a winner. They might even get me back in the market.

#480107 - 11/08/19 06:06 AM Re: Just my thoughts [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
Roland has all the technology already so how hard would it be to merge a G70 and Bk-9 with a few upgraded features. Keep the weight reasonable and the price as low as possible and they will. have a winner. They might even get me back in the market.

Winter Namm january 2020...Musikmesse April 2020 ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online