SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#479804 - 11/05/19 07:37 PM Navigation using the MFD and Registrations of ...
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
the S-950. This 10 minute video was one that I made a few years ago, mainly to show how easy it is to navigate from one song to the next using a combination of MFD and registrations. For me, as a singer, I was able to utilize my right hand to select the next song while singing, and when needed I could still go into some riffs and fills because the system I used was so efficient.

Just another fun day in Paradise,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#479805 - 11/06/19 12:58 AM Re: Navigation using the MFD and Registrations of ... [Re: travlin'easy]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Gary, you put new meaning to playing a keyboard. You turn on your keyboard on and lead it to where you want it to go with ease. Nothing fancy, few runs, two finger chords, and you have kept it simple, while making your voice/vocal the main thing. I now understand how you stayed with the same keyboard for so long.

I feel you are working your keyboard the way it was designed to work; it’s playing background for your voice. Most players, including myself, are concentrating on special chords, arps, scales, and effects, and somewhere in there is the vocal. People appreciate all the stuff we do, but they understand the vocal.

Let me tell you what is going on my mind while I watched your video.
1-This guy looks so relaxed, he could do three jobs a day, then go home and cut the lawn
2-He knows more about the keyboard than playing the fancy stuff – and it sounds good. He is giving people what they want.
3-He could do a good job with any keyboard.
4-What Gary taught me today: Get into my keyboard, explore every part, and then put together a system that will support my voice and flow easily.
5-Most people understand the meaning of K. I. S. S., “KEEP—IT—SIMPLE—STUPID”. Oh, how true.

Gary, thank you for today’s lesson. I believe the saying; “It is not the keyboard, it’s the player”. And I would like to add: Players go into the depths of your keyboard, then spend time develop an uncomplicated method of leading it to where you want to go.

Great teaching my friend, thanks, John C.

#479810 - 11/06/19 04:58 AM Re: Navigation using the MFD and Registrations of ... [Re: travlin'easy]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Gary, Nice video I think I’ve seen it in the past. I used the same method in the past but now there’s a in new system in town and I prefer it. Thanks for posting the video.

#479815 - 11/06/19 05:47 AM Re: Navigation using the MFD and Registrations of ... [Re: Stephenm52]
Dnj Offline

I also have seen that video years ago I never used the MFD for many reasons, but as Steve says technology is on the move and so should the people using it...."ALL ABOARD"!!!

#479818 - 11/06/19 06:41 AM Re: Navigation using the MFD and Registrations of ... [Re: travlin'easy]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
+3! "What they said".... Sx900 has some daunting new features, but I am confident they can be tamed and will greatly simplify arranger use for me. Next stop - "Registration Station".

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#479819 - 11/06/19 06:43 AM Re: Navigation using the MFD and Registrations of ... [Re: travlin'easy]
W Tracy Parnell Online   content

Loc: NY
No right or wrong, it is what works for you that is important. And Gary has done a nice job of showing what works for HIS needs.

#479821 - 11/06/19 06:55 AM Re: Navigation using the MFD and Registrations of ... [Re: travlin'easy]
saxxman Offline

Definitely agree. We each have to assess the capabilities in terms of our own personal needs. Gary has a great system going and I salute him for addressing his needs. I don't use lyrics or harmony and am excited about the potential the SX900 offers for my needs.

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#479823 - 11/06/19 07:15 AM Re: Navigation using the MFD and Registrations of ... [Re: saxxman]
W Tracy Parnell Online   content

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By saxxman
Definitely agree. We each have to assess the capabilities in terms of our own personal needs. Gary has a great system going and I salute him for addressing his needs. I don't use lyrics or harmony and am excited about the potential the SX900 offers for my needs.

IMO, Korg still has the best system or at least the one I prefer. But honestly, the new Yamaha system probably has the potential to be the most comprehensive system out there. You can have 8 or ten (with Genos) registrations per song so that is a lot of power. Most of the time though, I personally would not need it. But I can see how Gary's system could work very well.

#479825 - 11/06/19 07:30 AM Re: Navigation using the MFD and Registrations of ... [Re: travlin'easy]
saxxman Offline

Tracy - agreed! There are many choices out here and they each have their plusses and minuses. Love the Korg too - now that I am retired,I look forward to delving into both systems to fully employ them for my interests.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online