SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11 >
Topic Options
#479683 - 11/04/19 03:56 PM SX900 Final Decision
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I gave it another chance. It does a lot of things right, but I few things I don't like as well as on the other arrangers I have.
First, The sounds are fantastic; love those Pedal Steel Guitars...
The on board speakers are excellent, but I rarely use them.
The vocal processor is really good. The Vocal Harmonizer sounds good enough for my use.
It has lots of new styles and sounds
Love the oohs and aahhs.
Love the keys.
Love the intros and endings and fills and breaks, and multipad content.
But here's why I'm not keeping it:
I have gotten spoiled to being able to have dedicated buttons and sliders for virtually every function I use. Everything is easier for me on both the Korg and Roland.
I could spend a couple of weeks setting everything up and I'd most likely be happy, but I don't want to do that right now.
It's the LITTLE things, such as printing at the top of the keyboard where the connections are located...having an indicator light to show whether the vocal harmonizer is engaged... a Leslie emulation that works with preset voices...dedicated sliders to adjust style and lead part volumes on the fly...more foot switch connections...location of the USB ports...no XLR mic input...no phantom power...having to go into a menu to adjust the key on audio files, using the transpose button doesn't work there.
Most of these features are on the Korg PA4x, which I admit is twice as much money, so should be better. However the keys on the Korg are heavier than I like, as is the keyboard itself, so I was looking to replace it.
The EA7 is really good, but no text display, no vocal harmonizer, no real break/fills.
So for now I'll play the Korg at my regular job and have the EA7 for any extra jobs or when I need to move my "stuff".
It's great that there are no bad choices, only what works best for the individual!

#479685 - 11/04/19 04:01 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Great review Don, should be helpful to those still on the fence.

#479686 - 11/04/19 04:02 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Don, while I haven't even seen an Sx900, I would think that yours is an excellent analysis of a board and how it fits - or doesn't fit - your needs ...

#479687 - 11/04/19 04:02 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Once again thank you for telling us your likes and dislikes. If and when I upgrade I will be considering all of the info you have provided. Right now I'm leaning toward the EA7. Doesn't really matter as I have no $ saved up to buy anything right now anyway. I'll just keep on working on my 3000.

#479688 - 11/04/19 04:26 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
124 Offline

Those "little things" you mention, Don, aren't little at all when your trying to work a room. Stick with that Pa4x. Different league.

#479690 - 11/04/19 04:34 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: tony mads usa]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Dam it Don, you always sound so sure of your keyboard you are selecting. And you sound so logical. I need a month before I am sure I made the right decision.

OK, the next time I am thinking of buying a keyboard
I’m calling you. (smile)

John C.

#479695 - 11/04/19 05:35 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: bruno123]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Originally Posted By bruno123
I need a month before I am sure I made the right decision.
John C.

John, I remember a while back you were missing the S975. I think you’ll be happy with the SX900. It sounds better than the 975 and the touch screen is a welcome addition. Hope it works out for you!
Mitch

#479696 - 11/04/19 05:36 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: bruno123]
Dnj Offline

Don.... Too bad it didn't meet your needs
Oh well at least you gave it a try...
Carry on..

#479697 - 11/04/19 05:38 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By DonM

But here's why I'm not keeping it:
I have gotten spoiled to being able to have dedicated buttons and sliders for virtually every function I use. Everything is easier for me on both the Korg
It's the LITTLE things, such as printing at the top of the keyboard where the connections are located...having an indicator light to show whether the vocal harmonizer is engaged... a Leslie emulation that works with preset voices...dedicated sliders to adjust style and lead part volumes on the fly...more foot switch connections...location of the USB ports...no XLR mic input...no phantom power...having to go into a menu to adjust the key on audio files, using the transpose button doesn't work there.
Most of these features are on the Korg PA4x, which I admit is twice as much money, so should be better. However the keys on the Korg are heavier than I like, as is the keyboard itself, so I was looking to replace it.

It's great that there are no bad choices, only what works best for the individual!

All those little things you mention are all strong points that keep me keeping the Pa4x. For me the heavier keys are a real plus.

#479700 - 11/04/19 05:54 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Love (and will keep) my PA4X! But the heavier Korg weight and lack of speakers are reasons the Yammie PSRs are nice to have in the rack as well. So many choices....so little time.

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#479701 - 11/04/19 05:58 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Winter Namm 2020 please hurry....
Just sayin '

#479703 - 11/04/19 06:07 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
saxxman Offline

Good luck Donny! We live on a blue planet that circles around a ball of fire and we live next to a moon that moves the seas, so maybe it's not to much to ask -- OK - here goes -- "NAMM 2020 - please deliver the perfect arranger keyboard!" rocker

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#479704 - 11/04/19 06:16 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Tomorrow afternoon, I get to try out the PSR SX-900. YES! My longtime friend, Helmut Licht, purchased one from Frank and is bringing it to me for an evaluation. I expect to spend at least 3 hours with the board, putting it through it's paces and having lots of fun. When I'm done, I will post my evaluation of the SX-900 and let you know what I discover - good or bad.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#479706 - 11/04/19 06:26 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: saxxman]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By saxxman
Good luck Donny! We live on a blue planet that circles around a ball of fire and we live next to a moon that moves the seas, so maybe it's not to much to ask -- OK - here goes -- "NAMM 2020 - please deliver the perfect arranger keyboard!" rocker

Randy agreed there are other ways to make music wink

#479707 - 11/04/19 06:27 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Tomorrow afternoon, I get to try out the PSR SX-900. YES! My longtime friend, Helmut Licht, purchased one from Frank and is bringing it to me for an evaluation. I expect to spend at least 3 hours with the board, putting it through it's paces and having lots of fun. When I'm done, I will post my evaluation of the SX-900 and let you know what I discover - good or bad.

All the best,

Gary cool

Gary at least give it 3 1/2hrs..just sayin '

#479708 - 11/04/19 06:35 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: travlin'easy]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
When I'm done, I will post my evaluation of the SX-900 and let you know what I discover - good or bad.

Gary, glad your getting a chance to give it a go. Hope it goes well.
Mitch

#479709 - 11/04/19 06:59 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: jingleman]
tony mads usa Offline

My crystal ball is giving me a pretty good idea of what Gary's review will be like ...
Just sayin' wink

#479712 - 11/04/19 08:18 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: travlin'easy]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia

All the best,

Gary cool

That’s great Gary. At least you can finally get your hands on one. Have FUN.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#479719 - 11/05/19 03:21 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
Stephenm52 Offline

Gary, Good news enjoy your time with the SX900. I remember Helmut from your arranger jam, but as I recall he only stayed for half hour or so.

#479723 - 11/05/19 05:37 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: tony mads usa]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By tony mads usa
My crystal ball is giving me a pretty good idea of what Gary's review will be like ...
Just sayin' wink

LOL 😆

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#479729 - 11/05/19 06:29 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Just sayin' wink

yea he will love it being a Yamaha mascot ....
but will he buy one for himself?

#479751 - 11/05/19 10:50 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY

So for now I'll play the Korg at my regular job and have the EA7 for any extra jobs or when I need to move my "stuff".

Don, Since you (like me) don't move your gear during the week, why not get a light action controller, and modify your stand to tuck it under the PA4X, so all the controls are easy to reach, and the keys feel easier to your fingers. That also gives you a second, and/or third zone to access live for a different solo voice on the fly. I don't "need" a second kb, but sometimes, it'd be nice to have an accent sound all ready to grab (like organs, for me)

#479756 - 11/05/19 11:40 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Just sayin' wink

yea he will love it being a Yamaha mascot ....
but will he buy one for himself?

I think we know that he would if his health was better ...

#479757 - 11/05/19 12:37 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Well, I just finished up with the SX-900. And, contrary to popular belief, it's not a keyboard that I would want to use as an onstage performer. I found the changes in the OS were cumbersome, way too many menus to go through in order to get to the next song, and while I had no problem seeing or using the touch screen, I had to use my little finger in order not to hit something I did now wish to select.

The overall sounds were just awesome - some of the best I think I've ever heard. The grand piano was stunning, as were 99 percent of the saxes and strings. I loaded some of the Genos styles into the SX-900 and they sounded excellent. I did not have time to mess with the vocal sounds, Ooohs and Ahhhs, but I did plug in a mic and after a bit of tuning, the vocal harmony sounded as good, IMO, as my TC Helicon Harmony-M.

The song list, to me, was nothing short of a major headache. I much preferred the Music Finder Directory, which was somewhat limiting for some players, but for me, it worked great for a whole lot of years.

When my friend Helmut left, has was astonished at all the things we managed to accomplish during our short time at the board, but I was still scratching my head, especially with the midi player. For example, if I found a song that had embedded lyrics, after starting the song, I could not access the lyrics page unless I went through the main menu and selected lyrics. Two extra button pushes that added to dead time between songs.

So, for me, if I were still able to work, I would stick with my S-950. I sincerely think that ALL arranger keyboard manufacturers should have people on their staff that performs the same program evaluation that every major computer programmer utilizes before they release their software. It would not cost them much to have these individuals on call and probably save the manufacturers a lot of grief in the long run.

Gary cool

#479759 - 11/05/19 12:56 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
Stephenm52 Offline

Gary, Just my opinion here but with the number of programmable buttons and customizing you can do I don’t believe 3 hours is enough to get up to speed with the changes to the OS and the Playlist feature. If you had more time and owned the board I believe you could have had a better experience including getting to the next song quicker and to lyrics or anything else you may have needed to get to in a hurry. Although I have not played or own an SX900 the OS pretty much mimics my Genos and from my experience the new way of doing things does things better for an on stage performer than past PSR keyboards. Once you get a handle on Playlist you can’t beat it at least that has been my experience and I too used Music Finder on the older arrangers along with registrations. The new OS isn’t rocket science but like anything else there is a learning curve.

#479760 - 11/05/19 01:03 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Well, I just finished up with the SX-900. And, contrary to popular belief, it's not a keyboard that I would want to use as an onstage performer. I found the changes in the OS were cumbersome, way too many menus to go through in order to get to the next song, and while I had no problem seeing or using the touch screen, I had to use my little finger in order not to hit something I did now wish to select.

The overall sounds were just awesome - some of the best I think I've ever heard. The grand piano was stunning, as were 99 percent of the saxes and strings. I loaded some of the Genos styles into the SX-900 and they sounded excellent. I did not have time to mess with the vocal sounds, Ooohs and Ahhhs, but I did plug in a mic and after a bit of tuning, the vocal harmony sounded as good, IMO, as my TC Helicon Harmony-M.

The song list, to me, was nothing short of a major headache. I much preferred the Music Finder Directory, which was somewhat limiting for some players, but for me, it worked great for a whole lot of years.

When my friend Helmut left, has was astonished at all the things we managed to accomplish during our short time at the board, but I was still scratching my head, especially with the midi player. For example, if I found a song that had embedded lyrics, after starting the song, I could not access the lyrics page unless I went through the main menu and selected lyrics. Two extra button pushes that added to dead time between songs.

So, for me, if I were still able to work, I would stick with my S-950. I sincerely think that ALL arranger keyboard manufacturers should have people on their staff that performs the same program evaluation that every major computer programmer utilizes before they release their software. It would not cost them much to have these individuals on call and probably save the manufacturers a lot of grief in the long run.

Gary cool

Gary so now you understand what I was talking about from day one, navigation.. navigation.. navigation.....
At least you tried one as I did and Don M...
I am glad this chapter is all over so I can continue..

Edited by Dnj (11/05/19 01:12 PM)

#479771 - 11/05/19 02:00 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
saxxman Offline

I hear you guys on navigation. But just wondering if, after you set everything up w/the Playlist, wouldn't navigation become less of an issue? I am wondering if the Playlist wouldn't allow you to recall the text displays for a MIDI file associated with a Playlist entry? Haven't even looked into the "Assignable" buttons yet but they may be a great help to eliminate button pushes too, once the settings are made.

Just took delivery of the SX900 and so far I am a very happy (Yamaha) camper. Will hold tight to my PA4X but this little guy is worth a spot on my keyboard rack for certain.

At this point I am not planning to gig much w/the keyboard, but when I do, my plan would be to have all my repertoire in the Playlist and then just call tunes up in the order I please, in which case the keys, tempos, volumes, muted instruments, multipads, and everything else are preset. If I were a singer, wouldn't the lyrics display appear as well when you call the preset? You Genos owners out there have the answer?

#479774 - 11/05/19 02:08 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: Stephenm52]
saxxman Offline

Originally Posted By Stephenm52
Gary, Just my opinion here but with the number of programmable buttons and customizing you can do I don’t believe 3 hours is enough to get up to speed with the changes to the OS and the Playlist feature. If you had more time and owned the board I believe you could have had a better experience including getting to the next song quicker and to lyrics or anything else you may have needed to get to in a hurry. Although I have not played or own an SX900 the OS pretty much mimics my Genos and from my experience the new way of doing things does things better for an on stage performer than past PSR keyboards. Once you get a handle on Playlist you can’t beat it at least that has been my experience and I too used Music Finder on the older arrangers along with registrations. The new OS isn’t rocket science but like anything else there is a learning curve.

Steve - agree w/you on this. The big drawback to me with MF was the fact they didn't save keys tempos, etc. Love the idea of having a playlist of registrations. On the PSR I had to maintain a manual list of my registrations content (several songs per registration). Seems that the Playlist method will be a big help for my situation.

#479777 - 11/05/19 02:20 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Korg song book got it right... The SX900 is no match. Imo

#479778 - 11/05/19 02:21 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
124 Offline

So, the Playlist on the SX900 works in much the same way as on your Pa4x. Is that right?

#479779 - 11/05/19 02:24 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
saxxman Offline

Still learning, but if Playlist recalls registration entries, should do the trick for me. Will let y'all know when I get that far....

#479780 - 11/05/19 02:32 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: saxxman]
rikkisbears Offline

I hear you guys on navigation. But just wondering if, after you set everything up w/the Playlist, wouldn't navigation become less of an issue? I am wondering if the Playlist wouldn't allow you to recall the text displays for a MIDI file associated with a Playlist entry? Haven't even looked into the "Assignable" buttons yet but they may be a great help to eliminate button pushes too, once the settings are made.

Hi Randy,
haven’t spent a heap of time on Play list , but I’d be guided by what Stephen has to say, the Genos and Sx appear to incredibly similar as far as the registrations and playlists go.

The registrations are great, ie as little or as much info as you want to save to them, the Playlist is an extension of them.

Personally I think I am going to save one registration bank per song, that way if I’m looking for a song in the playlist, it’s going to be all set up.

On Korg I used to create duplicate styles, set it up for a particular song, then name the style after the song.

I think setting up registrations for songs on sx is going to be a better way to go.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#479781 - 11/05/19 02:39 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: 124]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By 124
So, the Playlist on the SX900 works in much the same way as on your Pa4x. Is that right?

It's much different...
And better to navigate on Korg ..
I don't know why they don't talk to Pro players before they design these things.. more knobs and Sliders equal Better live play

Edited by Dnj (11/05/19 02:41 PM)

#479782 - 11/05/19 02:44 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: Uncle Dave]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave

Don, Since you (like me) don't move your gear during the week, why not get a light action controller, and modify your stand to tuck it under the PA4X, so all the controls are easy to reach, and the keys feel easier to your fingers. That also gives you a second, and/or third zone to access live for a different solo voice on the fly. I don't "need" a second kb, but sometimes, it'd be nice to have an accent sound all ready to grab (like organs, for me)

I have thought of that before, but I will rethink. Thanks1

#479785 - 11/05/19 03:06 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
Stephenm52 Offline

Once again just my opinion but if you have used registrations successfully on any PSR or Yamaha arranger for gigs, the Playlist feature brings it up quite a few notches. I liked Music Finder and have used it for live play at gigs but as Randy has mentioned it did lack some flexibility.

Sorry to have to say if anyone thinks Playlist can’t hold a candle to Kong’s Songbook they have not mastered the use of Playlists on the SX900. As I’ve already mentioned there is a learning curve. What I like about Playlist is my registrations can call up the corresponding lead sheet/ lyrics on my iPad Pro and vice versa. I also like Songbook on my Pa4x that it can call up leadsheets/lyrics on my Android tablet. Both Songbook and Playlist do the job equally well in my eyes.

#479786 - 11/05/19 03:24 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
saxxman Offline

+1 Steve. With my previous PSRs I had songs in registrations and they were labelled as "Cocktail 1, 2, etc". I carried a notebook listing the registrations and their contents. As I see the OS change, someone at Yamaha thought the changes were for the better. As I have faced Microsoft's decisions on OS changes, I will plug along and learn as I go. So far, I am very happy!

#479790 - 11/05/19 03:51 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: Stephenm52]
rikkisbears Offline

Once again just my opinion but if you have used registrations successfully on any PSR or Yamaha arranger for gigs, the Playlist feature brings it up quite a few notches. I liked Music Finder and have used it for live play at gigs but as Randy has mentioned it did lack some flexibility.

Sorry to have to say if anyone thinks Playlist can’t hold a candle to Kong’s Songbook they have not mastered the use of Playlists on the SX900. As I’ve already mentioned there is a learning curve. What I like about Playlist is my registrations can call up the corresponding lead sheet/ lyrics on my iPad Pro and vice versa. I also like Songbook on my Pa4x that it can call up leadsheets/lyrics on my Android tablet. Both Songbook and Playlist do the job equally well in my eyes.

As someone who basically has both ( ie Genos , same/similar? function to sx) and PA4x, Stephen should know, since he uses both.

Btw, Stephen, I downloaded that songbook + app, haven’t bought full version yet, bit of a learning curve, but how does it work in conjunction with the sx/ Genos, if I remember correctly you said something about registrations? maybe being able to bring up the songs? or am I off on a flight of fantasy. Haha

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#479791 - 11/05/19 03:58 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
Stephenm52 Offline

Rikki,

There’s a set of instructions on how to link your registrations to Songbook+ entries. I’ll have to have a look for them then I’ll send a link to them. Once you do the initial set up it’s simply tapping the screen of your iPad then choosing the option save link to registration, then resaving your registration. Once you set up one the reaming will be a piece of cake to set up.

#479792 - 11/05/19 04:59 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
saxxman Offline

Thanks Steve - looking forward to it!

#479801 - 11/05/19 07:27 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Actually, the MFD was nothing more than a scaled down registration that saved style, tempo, intro, and initial variation. Now, because I also used this in combination with registrations, and had a setup registration that locked my mic setting and pedal settings into place on startup, I really didn't have to worry about having a book of registrations to know what was in them. After a few months of continual performances, I knew them all by heart.

Now, I realize that you can assign lots of functions to the buttons at the bottom of the screen, including lyrics, which take more than a single button push to access from the player. However, on my ancient PSR-S950 there is a button that clearly says lyrics. One push and there they are. Wow!

Also, there was no indicator light for the vocal harmony on/off. Cmon, how easy would this be to add to such an advanced keyboard. Lots and lots of menus, sub menus and way too much time spent navigating and less time performing.

Now, I absolutely loved the right hand voices (sounds), the styles were great, the drums really rocked - no question about this aspect. As for the keyfeel, I really didn't notice any difference, but I was looking as this feature.

Good luck, guys and gals,

Gary cool

#479803 - 11/05/19 07:37 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: Stephenm52]
rikkisbears Offline

Rikki,

There’s a set of instructions on how to link your registrations to Songbook+ entries. I’ll have to have a look for them then I’ll send a link to them. Once you do the initial set up it’s simply tapping the screen of your iPad then choosing the option save link

Hi Stephen,
If you find it, it would be greatly appreciated .

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#479811 - 11/06/19 05:03 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
Stephenm52 Offline

Here’s the link on the how to, it uses the same directions as used with the Genos.

Configuring Songbook + Yamaha Arrangers

Edited by Stephenm52 (11/06/19 05:06 AM)

#479816 - 11/06/19 06:04 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
saxxman Offline

Thanks Steve! Will check it out!

#479826 - 11/06/19 07:37 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: saxxman]
tony mads usa Offline

MFD, Registrations, Songbook, whatever works best for the INDIVIDUAL - and we are ALL individuals ...
For ME - and I repeat ME ! - the Songbook feature on my Pa900 is easy, saves everything I need for each song, and works like a charm ... Much like the one on my Technics Kn6000 ...
But, enjoy what you have ... OR replace it ... wink

#479827 - 11/06/19 07:39 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
saxxman Offline

+1! Well spoken Tony!

#479830 - 11/06/19 07:59 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: saxxman]
Stephenm52 Offline

+2

#479831 - 11/06/19 08:00 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Does it matter if your playing at home vs stage?

#479834 - 11/06/19 08:12 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
saxxman Offline

For my needs, the difference is - when playing at home I am investing the time and effort required to discover the styles and sounds that allow me to actually enjoy playing the tunes I am working on (and hopefully which do them justice musically). Once I find the settings (styles, tempos, pads, mixes) that I am happy with, these settings will be saved. In contrast, when I take the keyboard to a gig, all I expect to have to do is press a button to select each song I want and start playing it (with everything recalled to the way I worked it up at home). That's all I ask of the keyboard and the rest as always will be up to me.

#479835 - 11/06/19 08:22 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: saxxman]
Dnj Offline

That's all fine Randy until the requests start coming.. Lol

#479836 - 11/06/19 08:56 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
To make a long reply short , You all need/or want a Genos :-)

Impuls :-)

#479837 - 11/06/19 09:02 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: Impuls]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By Impuls

👍😁
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#479838 - 11/06/19 09:05 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: Impuls]
Dnj Offline

If genos is all you need.. Why the Nord?

#479855 - 11/06/19 11:12 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
saxxman Offline

Hey folks - when you tried the SX900 did you try assigning VH to an Assignable button? Looks like if you assign it to a button when activated it pops this display up...

Attachments
VH Indicator.jpg

#479859 - 11/06/19 11:19 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: saxxman]
rikkisbears Offline

For my needs, the difference is - when playing at home I am investing the time and effort required to discover the styles and sounds that allow me to actually enjoy playing the tunes I am working on (and hopefully which do them justice musically). Once I find the settings (styles, tempos, pads, mixes) that I am happy with, these settings will be saved. In contrast, when I take the keyboard to a gig, all I expect to have to do is press a button to select each song I want and start playing it (with everything recalled to the way I worked it up at home). That's all I ask of the keyboard and the rest as always will be up to me.

Well said Randy.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#479860 - 11/06/19 11:25 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: saxxman]
rikkisbears Offline

Hey folks - when you tried the SX900 did you try assigning VH to an Assignable button? Looks like if you assign it to a button when activated it pops this display up...

Hi Randy
Is that along of the lines of the On / Off function some had been hoping it had?
Don’t use harmoniser so don’t understand,

I noticed my dedicated Fade in / out button had gone missing, so relieved when I found it could be assigned to one of those buttons.

Edited by rikkisbears (11/06/19 11:26 AM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#479861 - 11/06/19 11:39 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
saxxman Offline

Rikki - not sure, but every time you press the Assignable button you toggle it one way or the other and the display reflects the status. Seems like there are many functions that are assignable w/the 6 buttons to eliminate button sequences. I think you can also assign many of the "Assignable" functions to the Live Control knobs or a pedal as well. And apparently you can have "sets" of Assignable settings....still checking that.

#479863 - 11/06/19 11:46 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: saxxman]
Stephenm52 Offline

Lately with my Genos and the 10 buttons I assign 9 to turn vocal harmony on then 10 to turn it off. There’ s more than one way to skin a cat.

#479865 - 11/06/19 11:49 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
saxxman Offline

Hear, Hear Steve! I set it to Button #1... liking these Assignable things already!

#479867 - 11/06/19 11:55 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
Stephenm52 Offline

Randy, Whatever works best for you, that’s the great thing there’s lots of flexibility. In the case of the Genos I never saw myself using all 10 registration buttons for different voices/ style settings/ tempo etc. so I decided to set 9 and 10 for vocal on/off. I created a blank registration and assigned 9 and 10, so that serves as a template to work from to create other registrations.

#479871 - 11/06/19 12:40 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: saxxman]
rikkisbears Offline

Rikki - not sure, but every time you press the Assignable button you toggle it one way or the other and the display reflects the status. Seems like there are many functions that are assignable w/the 6 buttons to eliminate button sequences. I think you can also assign many of the "Assignable" functions to the Live Control knobs or a pedal as well. And apparently you can have "sets" of Assignable settings....still checking that.

Hi,
I have my Fade button set to 1. Only 5 more to figure out what I need from them.haha.
In some ways to me it makes sense to have assignable rather than fixed.

So basically your on/off only requires one button, and that screen pops up each time to show whether On or Off. Appears to be a great find. Hope you mentioned it on psr forum I’’ve seen the topic pop up before. Not sure if anyone had an answer.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#479872 - 11/06/19 12:40 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
saxxman Offline

Rikki - will do! Yep, it works each time you press the button you assigned! COOL!

#479873 - 11/06/19 12:44 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

Wherever - if it works, it works ...

Originally Posted By Dnj

When a request comes in, if the song is not set up in the 'songbook' or whatever, a "Performing Pro" knows enough about his/her KB to pick the right style for the song - or D/L an MP3 on a tablet, iPad, smart phone whatever ...
OR, simply say "I'm sorry, I don't know that one, is there something else you would like to hear?" ...

#479877 - 11/06/19 12:54 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
saxxman Offline

+1 Tony! Yep - Of course, I have the PSR Tutorial "10,000 Songs" USB drive and I already know a ton of the oldies. A simple 20-30 seconds and you can have a style loaded. Or for many songs, you can just select a style that is appropriate and cover it.

For requests I don't feel I'm ready to try, I always say "If you come back the next time I am here, I will have the song ready just for you". Have done that with several customers and some of the folks now come every time I am there just for "their song". Got a few nice tips out of the effort too!

#479888 - 11/06/19 01:31 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: tony mads usa]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

Wherever - if it works, it works ...

Originally Posted By Dnj

When a request comes in, if the song is not set up in the 'songbook' or whatever, a "Performing Pro" knows enough about his/her KB to pick the right style for the song - or D/L an MP3 on a tablet, iPad, smart phone whatever ...
OR, simply say "I'm sorry, I don't know that one, is there something else you would like to hear?" ...

You can’t be expected to know every song out there.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#479890 - 11/06/19 01:33 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: rikkisbears]
Dnj Offline

Rikki that's is where your Mp3 player or laptop comes in..
not playing requests could lead to a disgruntle fan.

#479891 - 11/06/19 01:34 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: saxxman]
rikkisbears Offline

For requests I don't feel I'm ready to try, I always say "If you come back the next time I am here, I will have the song ready just for you". Have done that with several customers and some of the folks now come every time I am there just for "their song". Got a few nice tips out of the effort too!

Hi Randy,
great approach, would make someone feel special if you’ve gone to the effort of learning the song for them. No wonder they come back.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#479904 - 11/06/19 03:22 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Rikki that's is where your Mp3 player or laptop comes in..

Absolutely ...

Originally Posted By Dnj

not playing requests could lead to a disgruntle fan.

Can't be expected to please ALL the people ALL the time ...
And if someone gets disgruntled because you don't know one song, that's no fan.

#479906 - 11/06/19 03:28 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
saxxman Offline

+1 T-Man!

#479909 - 11/06/19 03:58 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Maybe so tony but be assured they won't forget you didn't play it for them somehow.

#479939 - 11/06/19 07:53 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Not forgetting - as bad as that might be - is one thing especially in the environments most of us play in ... But being disgruntled takes it to a whole other level ...
I am sure I have long forgotten requests that I have asked other musicians to play and they didn't know them ...

#479951 - 11/06/19 10:41 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
This topic and responses has got to be in the top 5 most informative threads I have read. Thanks to all who have participated. I've learned a lot smile

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#479952 - 11/06/19 10:49 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Can I start a topic or what??!! smile

#479957 - 11/07/19 02:37 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
rikkisbears Offline

Yep.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#479959 - 11/07/19 06:00 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

so what did we actually learn from this topic?

#479963 - 11/07/19 06:18 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

rolleyes coffee

#479985 - 11/07/19 08:59 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: Dnj]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

Different strokes for different folks.
One man’s junk is another man’s treasure.
One man’s meat is another man’s poison.
There’s more than one way to skin a cat.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

That’s all I can come up with. smile

#479988 - 11/07/19 09:09 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Dnj

Depends on who you're talking to.

Originally Posted By lahawk
This topic and responses has got to be in the top 5 most informative threads I have read. Thanks to all who have participated. I've learned a lot smile

VS

Originally Posted By Dnj

TRANSLATION: 'How interesting could it be if it wasn't started by me'.

Oh well, I guess it takes all kinds. Long live the King.

#480000 - 11/07/19 10:16 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: Dnj]
saxxman Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
[quote=travlin'easy]
When my friend Helmut left... I was still scratching my head, especially with the midi player. For example, if I found a song that had embedded lyrics, after starting the song, I could not access the lyrics page unless I went through the main menu and selected lyrics. Two extra button pushes that added to dead time between songs.

Gary cool

For any who may still have an interest in this discussion, I checked out Gary's concern and the Assignable buttons make viewing the lyric and other displays or functions easy. Using the Assignable buttons, I was able to quickly display the score and lyrics just by pushing a single Assignable button. Also you can immediately jump between the displays, including displaying the VH status over whichever display is up.

SX900 Assignable Button Demo

PS - if the link doesn't work, jump to the next couple posts and I have the YOUTUBE link there... Hope this helps others who may be wondering about the utility of these buttons.

Edited by saxxman (11/07/19 11:05 AM)

#480005 - 11/07/19 10:46 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: saxxman]
rikkisbears Offline

For any who may still have an interest in this discussion, I checked out Gary's concern and the Assignable buttons make viewing the lyric and other displays or functions easy. Using the Assignable buttons, I was able to quickly display the score and lyrics just by pushing a single Assignable button. Also you can immediately jump between the displays, including displaying the VH status over whichever display is up.

SX900 Assignable Button Demo

Hope this helps others who may be wondering about the utility of these buttons.

Hi , that’s great Randy.

Probably just me, I couldn’t get link to work.
Don’t worry about it unless it doesn’t work for others either.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#480007 - 11/07/19 10:49 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
saxxman Offline

Rikki - it works for me. I initially could not get it to work and regenerated the post.... if the link is not working, I will try uploading it to YouTube. I used the "Create Link" button in the message tool here and the link works for me.... Others please let me know... just a video demo of me jumping between the displays using Assignable buttons...

#480009 - 11/07/19 10:56 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: saxxman]
rikkisbears Offline

Rikki - it works for me. I initially could not get it to work and regenerated the post.... if the link is not working, I will try uploading it to YouTube. I used the "Create Link" button in the message tool here and the link works for me.... Others please let me know... just a video demo of me jumping between the displays using Assignable buttons...

Hi Randy ,
I got a message , Redirection failed.
Not the first time it has happened to me, so please don’t go to any trouble

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#480010 - 11/07/19 11:02 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
saxxman Offline

Rikki and others... try this one...

#480023 - 11/07/19 11:57 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: Dnj]
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Originally Posted By Dnj

If genos is all you need.. Why the Nord?

I use the Nord when i am playing with a band , and for the Drawbars they sound much better than the Genos drawbars (Rotary effect) , and its nice to play along with 2 toys . keys

Impuls smile

#480024 - 11/07/19 12:00 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: Impuls]
Dnj Offline

Impuls that makes sense...NORD is a great KB.
good luck.

#480030 - 11/07/19 12:35 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Randy, I knew there was a workaround using the assignment buttons, but I didn't get that far in the short time I had to work with the keyboard.

My friend, Helmut, called me this morning and said I should buy the SX-900 so I could post lessons on the PSR-Tutorial and Synthzone on how to use all the features. I turned him down - just one more thing for the kids to sell after my untimely demise. smile

Gary cool

#480031 - 11/07/19 12:38 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Yes you can assign On/Off to the buttons, but it still doesn't tell you if it is on or off unless you push the button...does it?
I assign the on/off to a foot switch, but you have to remember when it is on.

#480032 - 11/07/19 12:39 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Great choice, Donny! You're in an enviable position! I hope you enjoy it to the fullest! Auguri! smile

#480037 - 11/07/19 12:50 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

That was something else I noticed, Don. No indication if it is activated or what the assignment was for that particular button. Same with the vocal harmony on/off.

Gary cool

#480040 - 11/07/19 01:00 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: Mikem]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Mikem
Great choice, Donny! You're in an enviable position! I hope you enjoy it to the fullest! Auguri! smile

Mike gracie my friend...this should be a fun and productive opportunity
I think I made the right choice. Stay well.

#480046 - 11/07/19 01:20 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: Dnj]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By Mikem

Mike gracie my friend...this should be a fun and productive opportunity
I think I made the right choice. Stay well.

When there was a discussion of the Ketron Launchpad feature a while back, Bachus stated that most of the Launchpad features could be accomplished with the Genos. I would be interested on your comments on this when you get it.

#480047 - 11/07/19 01:23 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: travlin'easy]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Randy, I knew there was a workaround using the assignment buttons, but I didn't get that far in the short time I had to work with the keyboard.

My friend, Helmut, called me this morning and said I should buy the SX-900 so I could post lessons on the PSR-Tutorial and Synthzone on how to use all the features. I turned him down - just one more thing for the kids to sell after my untimely demise. smile

Gary cool

Sounds like a great idea to me Gary. You would be helping the PSR community (not that you haven't already) and probably having some fun yourself. Sell the 950 and your family would still have only one keyboard to sell.

#480065 - 11/07/19 03:23 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: saxxman]
124 Offline

Rikki and others... try this one...

Still not seeing it, Randy. It says the video is private.

#480066 - 11/07/19 03:29 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
saxxman Offline

Rikki - try once more! YEE HAA! Think I got it goin' this time! Uploaded to YouTube but copied the reference link before I finalized the upload to go "Public". Thanks for the prod! Need that a lot these days! Yee Haa! Thanks for watching too! Love those Assignables! The more I look the more I like!

Edited by saxxman (11/07/19 03:38 PM)

#480069 - 11/07/19 03:37 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
Stephenm52 Offline

Looks like it’s live now! Thanks Randy.

#480070 - 11/07/19 03:40 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
saxxman Offline

Thanks Steve! Gotta love this modern technology stuff! We're a "Button pushin'" generation these days! Thanks for the feedback too!

#480072 - 11/07/19 03:47 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Hey, I just fixed my own computer! It wouldn't see the CD/DVD drive. Had to edit the Registry by deleting some files that were evidently left by a previous recording program. Not sure which one but at least it works now.
Disclaimer: Don't edit the Registry if you aren't absolutely certain what you're doing!

#480075 - 11/07/19 03:50 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
saxxman Offline

Yep, the Registry will get you in a heartbeat! So many apps get to modify things when installed and there are so many entries. Great advice Don and congrats on fixing that "box with the brain". wink

#480087 - 11/07/19 06:06 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: saxxman]
rikkisbears Offline

Rikki - try once more! YEE HAA! Think I got it goin' this time! Uploaded to YouTube but copied the reference link before I finalized the upload to go "Public". Thanks for the prod! Need that a lot these days! Yee Haa! Thanks for watching too! Love those Assignables! The more I look the more I like!

Hi Randy,
Yes you got it working.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#480092 - 11/07/19 06:25 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
saxxman Offline

Yes you can assign On/Off to the buttons, but it still doesn't tell you if it is on or off unless you push the button...does it?
I assign the on/off to a foot switch, but you have to remember when it is on.

Don - the popup displays the status (for instance, VH) each time you push the button. If desired, there is a popup persistence setting in the Utility menu which allows you to set the popup to "HOLD". When you do this, the status (in this case, VH) remains displayed until you press an adjacent button. Pressing the same button just toggles (in this case) VH on and off. But the display will persist until you press another button.

#480093 - 11/07/19 06:49 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

That might help a little, but I have two of the buttons set for text down, and text up, so if the popup was on I couldn't see the text, right?
Anyway, I'm not keeping mine. It's all boxed up and read to go! smile

#480097 - 11/07/19 07:12 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
saxxman Offline

Don - Each new button press turns the popup off until you were to press it again.

#480099 - 11/07/19 07:18 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: saxxman]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Randy,
constantly amazed at what can be done on sx, though I can see Don’s point , the pop up wouldn’t really work if you were trying to read lyrics.

I’m having great fun with the Songbook+ app for the iPad. I was glad that Stephen mentioned it. At least I can read the notes on the lead sheets, had no hope on the keyboard itself,.

Currently working on linking the registrations to the songs. Once I sort it out I’ll buy the full package. Finally found a use for the Bluetooth dongle thing they sent me with the keyboard.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#480152 - 11/08/19 04:30 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
saxxman Offline

Rikki - yep, I see Don's points too. Who knows, since it's all software, if they wanted to, Yamaha could easily implement a little VH indicator which could be located out of the way in a corner of the display (which would not interfere with the text or other displayed text).

Steve has some great experience w/the external displays for the lead sheets - haven't even thought about going that way but may check into it.

Still love this board! Registrations Rock!

#480155 - 11/08/19 05:21 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
Stephenm52 Offline

Rikki and Randy,

Glad to see you both are taking to the SX900 in a big way!! smile cool

#480159 - 11/08/19 06:15 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
saxxman Offline

Steve - Playlist is going to rock too - just have to spend a little more time learning to maximize the use of it! Great capability for sure!

#480163 - 11/08/19 07:38 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: saxxman]
rikkisbears Offline

Steve has some great experience w/the external displays for the lead sheets - haven't even thought about going that way but may check into it.

Still love this board! Registrations Rock!

Hi Randy,
if you have an iPad, have a peek at Songbook +. ( bauhm) I think is the developer.
Free to try, functional for 15 songs I beleive.
I’m running mine thru a little Bluetooth dongle they gave me with the sx.

If you press on a song, it brings up your matching sx registration .

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online