SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 10 11 >
Topic Options
#479729 - 11/05/19 06:29 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
My crystal ball is giving me a pretty good idea of what Gary's review will be like ...
Just sayin' wink

yea he will love it being a Yamaha mascot ....
but will he buy one for himself?

#479751 - 11/05/19 10:50 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By DonM

So for now I'll play the Korg at my regular job and have the EA7 for any extra jobs or when I need to move my "stuff".

Don, Since you (like me) don't move your gear during the week, why not get a light action controller, and modify your stand to tuck it under the PA4X, so all the controls are easy to reach, and the keys feel easier to your fingers. That also gives you a second, and/or third zone to access live for a different solo voice on the fly. I don't "need" a second kb, but sometimes, it'd be nice to have an accent sound all ready to grab (like organs, for me)

#479756 - 11/05/19 11:40 AM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By tony mads usa
My crystal ball is giving me a pretty good idea of what Gary's review will be like ...
Just sayin' wink

yea he will love it being a Yamaha mascot ....
but will he buy one for himself?

I think we know that he would if his health was better ...

#479757 - 11/05/19 12:37 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Well, I just finished up with the SX-900. And, contrary to popular belief, it's not a keyboard that I would want to use as an onstage performer. I found the changes in the OS were cumbersome, way too many menus to go through in order to get to the next song, and while I had no problem seeing or using the touch screen, I had to use my little finger in order not to hit something I did now wish to select.

The overall sounds were just awesome - some of the best I think I've ever heard. The grand piano was stunning, as were 99 percent of the saxes and strings. I loaded some of the Genos styles into the SX-900 and they sounded excellent. I did not have time to mess with the vocal sounds, Ooohs and Ahhhs, but I did plug in a mic and after a bit of tuning, the vocal harmony sounded as good, IMO, as my TC Helicon Harmony-M.

The song list, to me, was nothing short of a major headache. I much preferred the Music Finder Directory, which was somewhat limiting for some players, but for me, it worked great for a whole lot of years.

When my friend Helmut left, has was astonished at all the things we managed to accomplish during our short time at the board, but I was still scratching my head, especially with the midi player. For example, if I found a song that had embedded lyrics, after starting the song, I could not access the lyrics page unless I went through the main menu and selected lyrics. Two extra button pushes that added to dead time between songs.

So, for me, if I were still able to work, I would stick with my S-950. I sincerely think that ALL arranger keyboard manufacturers should have people on their staff that performs the same program evaluation that every major computer programmer utilizes before they release their software. It would not cost them much to have these individuals on call and probably save the manufacturers a lot of grief in the long run.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#479759 - 11/05/19 12:56 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Gary, Just my opinion here but with the number of programmable buttons and customizing you can do I don’t believe 3 hours is enough to get up to speed with the changes to the OS and the Playlist feature. If you had more time and owned the board I believe you could have had a better experience including getting to the next song quicker and to lyrics or anything else you may have needed to get to in a hurry. Although I have not played or own an SX900 the OS pretty much mimics my Genos and from my experience the new way of doing things does things better for an on stage performer than past PSR keyboards. Once you get a handle on Playlist you can’t beat it at least that has been my experience and I too used Music Finder on the older arrangers along with registrations. The new OS isn’t rocket science but like anything else there is a learning curve.

#479760 - 11/05/19 01:03 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Well, I just finished up with the SX-900. And, contrary to popular belief, it's not a keyboard that I would want to use as an onstage performer. I found the changes in the OS were cumbersome, way too many menus to go through in order to get to the next song, and while I had no problem seeing or using the touch screen, I had to use my little finger in order not to hit something I did now wish to select.

The overall sounds were just awesome - some of the best I think I've ever heard. The grand piano was stunning, as were 99 percent of the saxes and strings. I loaded some of the Genos styles into the SX-900 and they sounded excellent. I did not have time to mess with the vocal sounds, Ooohs and Ahhhs, but I did plug in a mic and after a bit of tuning, the vocal harmony sounded as good, IMO, as my TC Helicon Harmony-M.

The song list, to me, was nothing short of a major headache. I much preferred the Music Finder Directory, which was somewhat limiting for some players, but for me, it worked great for a whole lot of years.

When my friend Helmut left, has was astonished at all the things we managed to accomplish during our short time at the board, but I was still scratching my head, especially with the midi player. For example, if I found a song that had embedded lyrics, after starting the song, I could not access the lyrics page unless I went through the main menu and selected lyrics. Two extra button pushes that added to dead time between songs.

So, for me, if I were still able to work, I would stick with my S-950. I sincerely think that ALL arranger keyboard manufacturers should have people on their staff that performs the same program evaluation that every major computer programmer utilizes before they release their software. It would not cost them much to have these individuals on call and probably save the manufacturers a lot of grief in the long run.

Gary cool

Gary so now you understand what I was talking about from day one, navigation.. navigation.. navigation.....
At least you tried one as I did and Don M...
I am glad this chapter is all over so I can continue..

Edited by Dnj (11/05/19 01:12 PM)

#479771 - 11/05/19 02:00 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
I hear you guys on navigation. But just wondering if, after you set everything up w/the Playlist, wouldn't navigation become less of an issue? I am wondering if the Playlist wouldn't allow you to recall the text displays for a MIDI file associated with a Playlist entry? Haven't even looked into the "Assignable" buttons yet but they may be a great help to eliminate button pushes too, once the settings are made.

Just took delivery of the SX900 and so far I am a very happy (Yamaha) camper. Will hold tight to my PA4X but this little guy is worth a spot on my keyboard rack for certain.

At this point I am not planning to gig much w/the keyboard, but when I do, my plan would be to have all my repertoire in the Playlist and then just call tunes up in the order I please, in which case the keys, tempos, volumes, muted instruments, multipads, and everything else are preset. If I were a singer, wouldn't the lyrics display appear as well when you call the preset? You Genos owners out there have the answer?

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#479774 - 11/05/19 02:08 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: Stephenm52]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Originally Posted By Stephenm52
Gary, Just my opinion here but with the number of programmable buttons and customizing you can do I don’t believe 3 hours is enough to get up to speed with the changes to the OS and the Playlist feature. If you had more time and owned the board I believe you could have had a better experience including getting to the next song quicker and to lyrics or anything else you may have needed to get to in a hurry. Although I have not played or own an SX900 the OS pretty much mimics my Genos and from my experience the new way of doing things does things better for an on stage performer than past PSR keyboards. Once you get a handle on Playlist you can’t beat it at least that has been my experience and I too used Music Finder on the older arrangers along with registrations. The new OS isn’t rocket science but like anything else there is a learning curve.

Steve - agree w/you on this. The big drawback to me with MF was the fact they didn't save keys tempos, etc. Love the idea of having a playlist of registrations. On the PSR I had to maintain a manual list of my registrations content (several songs per registration). Seems that the Playlist method will be a big help for my situation.

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#479777 - 11/05/19 02:20 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Korg song book got it right... The SX900 is no match. Imo

#479778 - 11/05/19 02:21 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
124 Offline

So, the Playlist on the SX900 works in much the same way as on your Pa4x. Is that right?

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online