SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#479457 - 10/30/19 11:35 PM mind principals as applied to learning music
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
About six months ago I posted this video:

The next day I took a second look at it and decided then and there that I wanted to play like her and particularly play that song. I also decided, at the time, I was doing too much messaging and not enough practice. So....for a good 4-5 months now I've been doing nothing but left hand work on the piano...playing anything and everything...bass lines, walking bass, chords, octaves, left hand melody, stride, scales, arpeggios. It was quite the grind in the beginning but I was determined. At about the three month mark something "clicked" and I was off and running. Everything left hand suddenly became easier and more natural. Even my Jerry Lee Lewis boogie style took a giant leap forward. Then the ultimate comment. The folks in the hospital where I play grand piano twice a week remarked that I was playing so much better and wondering what caused the change.

I was actually going to post how I did this whole improvement thing in less than six months using "power of the mind" principles but I didn't think anyone would be interested. But I might still post it if it helps just one person to get better.

Learning to play well is NOT about practicing and learning scales. It's about using the mind. I learned the principle of using your mind to learn things quickly when I was studying French Musette music some 20 years ago and I was real anxious to play that kind of music. And that's what I did this time around with my left hand program because now I'm hell-bent on playing the above song correctly.

As an example, of the many techniques I used....never, ever, practice for long periods at a time. The mind is not designed that way for learning. And...stay in tune with your inner self. When it tells you you're "getting nothing from a practice session...then walk away and come back later...and keep coming back until you hit a session that works for you. Something like "your mind will tell you when your body is hungry for food." Likewise you mind will also tell you when it's ready to absorb a practice session."

One more example that I was reminded of just yesterday. I was experimenting with variations on the song Love Story. I started with left hand arpeggios against the melody, and then I attempted going up and down the G minor and D7th chords using left hand "thirds." I said to myself "I'm not going to get this." I then corrected that statement and told myself "you can do this...set your mind to it and you CAN do this." And suddenly I could do it (slowly of course!).

BTW...these are not MY teachings nor are they new. People around the world have been using them for hundreds of years to make whatever they're doing (music in this case) a lot easier and more efficient.

Well, there I go again with a mega-post that I don't have time to do anymore. I think when I get a minute I'll go into more details about how I went about this whole thing for anyone who is further interested. I'm just really amazed at what your mind can do in assisting you in moving forward with your music if you learn how to tap into it.

#479470 - 10/31/19 07:40 AM Re: "power of the mind" principles applied to music [Re: Mark79100]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hi Mark,

Nice to hear from you. I for one would be very invested in a more detailed account of your practice. I have always felt that the great musicians have a higher level of Concentration, a deeper connection to the inner self, and an ability to block both inner and exterior detractions. Congratulations on your continued growth! I find that very inspirational!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#479476 - 10/31/19 08:46 AM Re: "power of the mind" principles applied to music [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Mark, good to see you posting again. As for practice, well, when I had to perform 7 days a week, often more than once a day, and frequently 9 to 10 jobs a week, I figured I was getting all the time I needed for practice while working on stage in front of a live audience. Additionally, because I got to know a lot of my audience members on a first name basis, I was able to be a lot more creative and experiment with new and exciting songs. For me, this went a long way in improving my performances and enhancing my playing ability.

Unlike a piano player, thought, and primarily performing as a singer, my main concern was my vocal abilities. I didn't do a lot of right hand improv or fills, but instead, concentrated on how to sell the song vocally. In my part of the world, and pretty much throughout the US, if you're not a singer, the jobs tend to pay less and are few and far between. Singers who have mastered the arranger keyboard, IMO, can find all the work they wish and at top pay rates if they take the time to market themselves in a professional manner.

So, have things really changed here on the Zone? Not very much since I have been here. Gear was always the main subject, and most folks were looking for the top gear that made them sound best. I traveled most of the east coast of the US and across the southeastern US to meet and hear other zone members and see what they did and the gear they used to entertain their audiences - I learned a lot from those trips, some of which exceeded 5,000 miles of driving. The only difference was that I got to hear and see the zone guys and gals while they were on stage and working their magic.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#479607 - 11/02/19 09:46 AM Re: "power of the mind" principles applied to music [Re: montunoman]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By montunoman
I have always felt that the great musicians have a higher level of Concentration, a deeper connection to the inner self, and an ability to block both inner and exterior detractions.

I have always felt that the great musicians have a higher level of Concentration, a deeper connection to the inner self, and an ability to block both inner and exterior detractions.

Hi Paul...yes, definitely, all those qualities plus an understanding of how the mind works. I got into it years ago, so I have a pretty thorough understanding of it all. But it took me quite a while to grasp the principles.

Anyhow....I'm not sure I can explain to you how a musician applies the principles. There are so many factors that come into play.

You might try what I did this time around. I used the exact same method and the exact same determination many years ago to learn how to play French musette music (the reason I have very fast fingering).

In a nutshell....after I watched that video above I decided I was going to practice left hand arpeggios ONLY, up and down the keyboard until I got it. Took one song after another and played the appropriate notes to each....almost until my hands bled. The KEY here is what you said....intense "concentration" and focus and correct technique. i.e. practice until the cows come home, but not mindlessly. Hear the notes in your head as you play them, place your finger precisely on each key.

This is the overview of it and what kept me going is it turned into an experiment for me. I decided in time I was going to let my mind do the work.

Ludovic Bier (famous French jazz and musette player) told me the simple secret when I met him a few years ago. He said: "just KEEP playing....all day, every day." That's what I decided to do....and...let my mind soak it up. Didn't worry about mistakes, challenges, nothing! Just played!

The principal is: feed the mind enough of what it needs to hear (music) and it will re-assemble it and output it in a more organized manner.

I'm not sure you're going to understand what I said here and that's OK. Beside, I have free time to do this. I'm near a piano most of the day so it was easy for me. But I'm really glad I took the journey. I can play as good as she plays now and I'm real happy about that.

You don't need to follow up with this post. I won't ask how you're doing, but you're partially there already, recognizing and understanding there's more to it than just practicing scales and chords over and over again.

Your friend

Mark

#479609 - 11/02/19 10:04 AM Re: "power of the mind" principles applied to music [Re: travlin'easy]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
So, have things really changed here on the Zone? Not very much since I have been here. Gear was always the main subject, and most folks were looking for the top gear that made them sound best.

Gary...you've posted a lot of good comments on here, but for ME....this was the best.

I wasn't aware that "gear was always the main subject." I guess I couldn't "see the forest for the trees." Or maybe I just plain thought (selfishly) everyone should think like me and fall in line with MY views.

But I'm kind of glad I found out (10 years later) this is a "music equipment" group. Now I won't spend the time I used to do writing these long, wind-bag postings that I often do.

Actually, I'm kind of glad this is an instrument group. I spend so much time practicing that I'm not keeping up with instruments. I'll use my own saying "what's the point of having an El Supremo keyboard if you're not practicing music?" and reverse it to "what's the point of being a #1 player if you don't have a great keyboard to show your skills"

Hope you're hanging in there real well the same as you've done with everything else all your life!

#479618 - 11/02/19 02:39 PM Re: "power of the mind" principles applied to music [Re: Mark79100]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Mark,
I think you have reached the wrong conclusion in assessing the entire forum. Don't forget that you are hearing from the vocal minority. There are plenty of us that enjoy the philosophical, theoretical, and mechanical side of music. I think it interesting and informative what you post.

Bernie

#479619 - 11/02/19 03:56 PM Re: "power of the mind" principles applied to music [Re: Mark79100]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Beautiful piece of music Mark. Not sure if I still have it, but I had a CD full of piano Movie scores , Dream of Olsen was one of pieces.
Some of the others were just as beautiful.
Did you actually manage to find the sheet music for it?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#479625 - 11/02/19 06:58 PM Re: "power of the mind" principles applied to music [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Mark
Quite an undertaking of study. Good for you. I think you answer your own questions. After you gain a certain level of physical prowness at the keyboard its 90% mind control. Intense concentration is hard to master. And I agree, short rehersals with a goal are better than hours of mindless doodling. But make sure you do some good warmups before you tackle those tricky passages. Keep going, it will happen

#479740 - 11/05/19 07:58 AM Re: "power of the mind" principles applied to music [Re: Mark79100]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By Mark79100

Hi Paul...yes, definitely, all those qualities plus an understanding of how the mind works. I got into it years ago, so I have a pretty thorough understanding of it all. But it took me quite a while to grasp the principles.

Anyhow....I'm not sure I can explain to you how a musician applies the principles. There are so many factors that come into play.

You might try what I did this time around. I used the exact same method and the exact same determination many years ago to learn how to play French musette music (the reason I have very fast fingering).

In a nutshell....after I watched that video above I decided I was going to practice left hand arpeggios ONLY, up and down the keyboard until I got it. Took one song after another and played the appropriate notes to each....almost until my hands bled. The KEY here is what you said....intense "concentration" and focus and correct technique. i.e. practice until the cows come home, but not mindlessly. Hear the notes in your head as you play them, place your finger precisely on each key.

This is the overview of it and what kept me going is it turned into an experiment for me. I decided in time I was going to let my mind do the work.

Ludovic Bier (famous French jazz and musette player) told me the simple secret when I met him a few years ago. He said: "just KEEP playing....all day, every day." That's what I decided to do....and...let my mind soak it up. Didn't worry about mistakes, challenges, nothing! Just played!

The principal is: feed the mind enough of what it needs to hear (music) and it will re-assemble it and output it in a more organized manner.

I'm not sure you're going to understand what I said here and that's OK. Beside, I have free time to do this. I'm near a piano most of the day so it was easy for me. But I'm really glad I took the journey. I can play as good as she plays now and I'm real happy about that.

You don't need to follow up with this post. I won't ask how you're doing, but you're partially there already, recognizing and understanding there's more to it than just practicing scales and chords over and over again.

Your friend

Mark

Thanks for the reply Mark. I admire both your fast fingers and insights. You’re an inspiration. Keep it up!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#480169 - 11/08/19 11:41 PM Re: "power of the mind" principles applied to music [Re: rikkisbears]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By rikkisbears
Beautiful piece of music Mark. Not sure if I still have it, but I had a CD full of piano Movie scores , Dream of Olsen was one of pieces.
Some of the others were just as beautiful.
Did you actually manage to find the sheet music for it?

Hi Rikki...I was going to write back to you a few days ago that, yes, I managed to get bits and pieces of Adeline, but NOT the original piano version.

.....miracle of miracles.

I'm at the used book sale at a local organization. They have it 2x a year and I make sure I attend mostly for the huge amount of "used" sheet music they sell at .50 to $1 each. I'm going through the "bins" and pulling out what I need. I'm now at the end of the five bins and at the end of "bin #5" and there it is...the third one from the end. I almost fainted when I saw it! Price: 50 cents!!!

Attachments
Ballade Pour Adeline.jpg

Ballade Pour Adeline - page 1.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online