SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#47883 - 05/24/05 12:08 PM Voice Over Internet Phones (Skype); Is it worth it?
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Thought I would comment on the results that I have been getting with friends around the world via Skype (VOIP). Is it worth it? Of course it is! I have not had the success that Scott Yee has had re jamming with someone else. There is too much delay in the connections that I have been getting to play with someone else. BUT, it is certainly possible to play one at a time and share your music with the other person (or persons) on the line. Bill Norrie and I have talked and shared our music many times. He and I have been able to play for each other as long as only one person is playing the keyboard at a time. This has also been the case with Scott and I. So, if you want to instantly share your music with someone else half way around the world you can certainly do so. It is also wonderful to stay in touch with friends on a person-to-person basis this way. I often talk with Bill and Scott as well as Bob Rifle, Johnny Barr, and other friends around the world. I just got off the phone with Colin Leaney and was finally able to personally thank him for his wonderful music and for his work with the Jay Birds. All of this is totally free, folks.

The KN7000 is ideally suited for this kind of stuff. Since you already have a USB connection with your computer, all you have to do is connect the microphone of your headset to the KN7000 and use the KN7000 to feed your voice and your music to the computer via USB for your VOIP software. When Bill Norrie (and just a few minutes ago with Colin) is playing his KN7000 it almost sounds like my headphones are plugged into his KN7000. It is important though, to use a head set with headphones and microphone because if you use your KN7000 speakers, feedback through the mike is inevitable and the other person will hear undesirable echoes.

This is a great way to share our music and to stay in touch.

#47884 - 05/24/05 03:20 PM Re: Voice Over Internet Phones (Skype); Is it worth it?
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
....Agree 100% Bob

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#47885 - 05/24/05 04:01 PM Re: Voice Over Internet Phones (Skype); Is it worth it?
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
I should have mentioned that this stuff only works well if you have a high speed (cable or dsl) internet connection. Dialup internet connections are too slow.

#47886 - 05/25/05 02:02 AM Re: Voice Over Internet Phones (Skype); Is it worth it?
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Bob
Scott and I have had limited success except for echos. It was much better with the speakers off,as you say. You mention a headset with microphone. Do you mean an intigrated unit,as opposed to a separate headphone and mic ?

Bernie

#47887 - 05/25/05 03:40 AM Re: Voice Over Internet Phones (Skype); Is it worth it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bob,

Download Skype to give it a look. When it asked to search my address book for other Skype users I got some laughs. It found 12.
Bob and John North. The other 10 were same name but not same person. My brother-in while in the army was in Graves Registration and has used "diggah" as his handle. Was surprised to find another "diggah" in Europe.

Fran in Florida

#47888 - 05/25/05 05:23 AM Re: Voice Over Internet Phones (Skype); Is it worth it?
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
For Skype use on my laptop, I use the following Headset :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002ZDSB6/qid%3D1117023212/026-6511452-2348408

In USA :
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...e&s=pc&n=507846

Or a USB Version :
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...e&s=pc&n=507846

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#47889 - 05/25/05 06:18 AM Re: Voice Over Internet Phones (Skype); Is it worth it?
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
The idea of SKYPE is wonderful! What fun it will be when it really works well! So far it has been a very frustrating exercise in futility for me. However, it is not my intention to quit trying to make it work ...providing others are willing to help.

SCOTT has been VERY helpful & exceedingly patient in our attempts to communicate via Skype. The challenges seem to be with my system as he does well communicating with others.

My Sony Viao laptop (2 to 3 yrs old), is connected to a wireless network...Wi-Fi system. It has WinXP... The transformer (?) is on a tall pole less than 100 yds & within sight through the windshield of my motorhome. I have a headset earphone/mic that plugs into the back of the Sony & have made numerous adjustments to the sound in order to clear the voice distortions that have sometimes occured during conversations. The last chat with Scott was fine in that regard.

The other problem has been with voices cutting out...my cursor "freezes" & there is a loss/cutting out of the other person's voice. It has been suggested that perhaps my computer gets "busy" elsewhere which causes the cursor to freeze???? I am not a "techie".... (I am a TECHNIC-ie)!!!

BOB HENDERSHOT....has mentioned how "ideally suited" the 7K is to "this kind of stuff...all you have to do is connect the microphone of your headset to the KN7000 and use the KN7000 to feed your voice and your music to the computer via USB for your VOIP software". (I think I understand this thought).

The two "plugs" on my mic/earphones voice/audio combo that fit into the voice/audio ports on the back of the Sony are very very small stereo plugs (two black lines around each plug)......They are far too small to connect to the mic port on the back of the 7K! If an adapter is available...which one to ask for at Radio Shack? As there is only a 4" wire to each of the two plugs from where they converge to a single wire leading to/from the headset.....the distance is considerably further from the mic port on the 7K & to where the computer sits on the music rack to connect the Sony to the 7K USB port.

As I also have a different headset mic already plugged into the mic port on the 7K....is there some way to use it in the equation with the Sony & maybe the other mic/earphones set??? (I told you, I am not a computer techie) ...

I certainly will look forward to responses to this rather detailed & long post! I really do want to play with y'all!

ELIZABETH....(Skype name: e2luvzmusic)

#47890 - 05/25/05 06:21 AM Re: Voice Over Internet Phones (Skype); Is it worth it?
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
WILLUM...That headset mic/earphones looks just about like mine....cost about the same at Wal*Mart here in the U.S.A.

#47891 - 05/25/05 08:05 AM Re: Voice Over Internet Phones (Skype); Is it worth it?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
We used to do this several years ago using a duplex sound card. I forgot the software name but it was free and worked reasonably well. we used it for a year or so and then it just seem to run out of momentum.
Bebop

#47892 - 05/25/05 08:52 AM Re: Voice Over Internet Phones (Skype); Is it worth it?
Walter McLaren Offline

Loc: Borders. Scotland
I have had Skype on the computer for about 9 months, and never found anybody to talk to!!!!! Walter.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online