SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 >
Topic Options
#478778 - 10/24/19 10:54 AM Re: Sx900 Unbox, First touch Impressions [Re: girljam]
Dnj Offline

Thank you Jill much appreciated nothing but the truth

#478783 - 10/24/19 11:31 AM Re: Sx900 Unbox, First touch Impressions [Re: Dnj]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
đź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ť Thanks Donny this is exactly the sort of info I was after!

#478787 - 10/24/19 11:55 AM Re: Sx900 Unbox, First touch Impressions [Re: Dnj]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hi all - the same 'issue' is there for Tyros and Genos - some of the Organ sounds, such as WhiterShade, are *not* "Organ Flutes" type voices, that is, they don't use the Drawbars and don't have one of the "Rotary" FX as a DSP effect. The "leslie" (rotary speaker) effect is built-in to the sound samples. If you use an "Organ Flutes' type of organ voice, you will have proper "Leslie" speed-up and slow-down. This has been the case since at least Tyros3. I'd say it's a "known situation" and not a bug. . . it would be nice of those other Organ voices had better "Leslie" speed transition, but I think due to the design or how the voice was created, and the fact that it does not use the "Rotary" FX stuff, it doesn't have the gradual slow-down or speed up, on the non-Organ-Flute organ voices. . . .

Jim

Edited by jimlaing (10/24/19 12:16 PM)

#478800 - 10/24/19 01:19 PM Re: Sx900 Unbox, First touch Impressions [Re: MacAllcock]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By MacAllcock
đź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ť Thanks Donny this is exactly the sort of info I was after!

MacAllcock,.....Thank you sir...
why pull punches? say it like it is and let the
chips fall where they may Pro or Con..
Those were my thought and I now feel better
and stand by MY decision.

#478805 - 10/24/19 02:10 PM Re: Sx900 Unbox, First touch Impressions [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Jim's right - the organ flutes behave the way they should. Good find.
For those struggling to buddy up to VH2 ... download the ref manual, and go to page 96. Turn off almost EVERYTHING that they do to the harmonies, ESPECIALLY VIBRATO. That makes it sound so artificial. If I could find a way to have the harmonies stay ON while the drums are stopped, I'd be more comfortable with it. Ther might be a way if you leave all the stopped sounds on with the style, but I turn them off. The actual tone of the harmonies is not unusable, but the navigation is still light years away from even 25 years ago Digitech. Looks like my go-to rig may consist of the guitar going direct, and the min thru a TC Perform VK.
That's my best option at the moment for harmonies. I stated before this kb is slated for use at the winery, and quick in/out jobs where lots of vocals are not the priority, so just as it is - I can already see myself using this on my next one nighter.
Still digging ...

#478812 - 10/24/19 03:03 PM Re: Sx900 Unbox, First touch Impressions [Re: Dnj]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Dave,
Sounds like you’re quite enjoying.
How is the new song list function working out.
I was watching a comparison tyros vs Genos from Bonners. He seemed fairly impressed. The SX is very similar if not actually the same.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#478813 - 10/24/19 03:04 PM Re: Sx900 Unbox, First touch Impressions [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Dave why not just take the PA4X to the winery?

#478823 - 10/24/19 05:01 PM Re: Sx900 Unbox, First touch Impressions [Re: Dnj]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
I believe that your impression of SX900 is honest, but I’d say that it’s sort of “express review”.

Also, since you already had PSR-S970 and didn’t like it much, I wouldn’t expect SX900 to be very different; although you had some luck with PSR-S670 but not for long.

In general, I believe that SX900 is a package of tons of Yamaha’s achievements over the years. It surely had taken them a huge amount of time to develop that number of sophisticated sounds and styles, so I doubt that it can be covered within a short period of time.

It requires to have a certain mood to evaluate a certain aspect. And everyone of us, I think, has periods when (s)he’s that tired of music altogether, that every sound will just irritate.

And when it comes to styles, it’s even easier to get irritated, as usually they are very dynamic and busy. It’s a certain state of spirit when it’s possible to enjoy it to the fullest.

You liked E-A7 a lot, I’m not sure that you should let it go even if you decide to get something else, but it’s surely your business.

As for SX900, as I stated, I consider your comments as impressions of it, but I just can’t see SX900 as something simple enough in order to be evaluated within one day.

Strictly speaking, I would give it at least a month, but even that might not be enough. Why that long? Because one day you may feel like playing bossanova styles, and the next day you don’t feel like that. One day you want to play piano stuff, and the next day you are into guitars. One day you may try to play something like a soundtrack, another day you want to play dance music. And how many hours a day it is possible to have a fresh mind (ears)? I guess, 2-3 max. And how many days there will be when you will have to take care of other business? Plenty.

To add that there are ways to adjust tons of things, but you have to know how, not to mention expansion packs.

So with this list of things-to-do, with need to do other stuff as well (different activities will help to keep perception correct), with the fact that it usually takes few hours of playing each day for fingers to get in shape… I conclude that an accurate review will take months.

But impressions are surely more emotional, and for that they are priceless.

Still, I wouldn’t simplify it that much. SX900 is a collection of different things; to browse through them doesn’t mean to get familiar with them.

#478826 - 10/24/19 06:39 PM Re: Sx900 Unbox, First touch Impressions [Re: Kabinopus]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Very well put.
Thank you
Eric

#478827 - 10/24/19 06:49 PM Re: Sx900 Unbox, First touch Impressions [Re: Kabinopus]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By Kabinopus
I
It requires to have a certain mood to evaluate a certain aspect.

Hi Kabinopus,
Can get a bit frustrating too when a function has changed or there’s one you haven’t used before, and you can’t quite get it to work . Tend to blame the keyboard . Haha.
I’m having a bit of a problem at moment with a new function, decided to take a break, have a cup of coffee ( something you don’t recommend haha) get out the manual and find out what I’m doing wrong.
Something I always did many years ago, for people that I helped (with keyboards workstations , etc, )was, work out during the session what they needed help with, then put stickers on the relavent pages of their manuals.
That way at least if they forgot something, they just had to refresh their memory from the manual.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online