SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#478547 - 10/22/19 08:10 PM 1st impression of the SX900 ...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Here's what I'll report on as soon as I open the box (after I eat the tootsie rolls)
1) Key Feel
2) Overall sound of speakers
3) Rhodes /EP sounds
4) Mic processor/effects
5) Harmonizer
6) Touch screen response
** These are the important factors for me, so I'll do a quick tire kick, and let you all know my thoughts for using thins on the job.
FedEx is usually here before 2PM EST USA, so I'll try to get on, and post before I leave for work at 6:30.

I fully expect to like the styles, and navigation, as I have in the past. It's the improvements to the playability that interest me the most. Fingers crossed.

#478550 - 10/22/19 08:19 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Should be interesting. smile

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#478552 - 10/22/19 08:24 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hope it works out for you Dave.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#478555 - 10/22/19 08:41 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
zuki Offline

Interested to hear your results. I think Yamaha pianos can't be beat.

LOL - how were the tootsie rolls?

Edited by zuki (10/22/19 08:42 PM)

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#478561 - 10/22/19 08:50 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

It's not here yet! I still have to get to sleep so Santa can come tomorrow!

#478563 - 10/22/19 10:36 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave

smile

Attachments
fedex-crash.jpg

#478567 - 10/23/19 02:29 AM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Ha ha, now that's cold

#478568 - 10/23/19 02:31 AM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango

smile

Check OS for new version 1.03

https://www.soundpacks.co.uk/blogs/news/eq-settings-for-genos

they say first thing is to set up EQ for SX900..

these could be a good starting point.

Personally I like to use my own ears to decide and shape the EQ sound I prefer ...

PS Dave they say (5) NO Change in VH2 from previous S models
or Genos on Vocal harmonizer regarding tracking, trio dropouts, etc,..

Edited by Dnj (10/23/19 03:24 AM)

#478575 - 10/23/19 06:57 AM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
they say (5) NO Change in VH2 from previous S models

Yup. Heard that, but I want to dig in a bit, and see if theres a setting I can live with for in-out jobs, like the winery. I don't use the harmonizer there. In fact I sing way less ... it's more jazzy improv stuff. The winery is always a Saturday, and I'm not blowing my voice out in the afternoon, then trying to do it all again at night.

#478576 - 10/23/19 07:02 AM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
DannyUK Offline

Can't wait for your review Dave, I am even feeling a bit nervous about it lol

Edited by DannyUK (10/23/19 07:02 AM)

#478578 - 10/23/19 07:28 AM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Congrats Dave and keep us posted. Since I asked Donny (Tee Hee Hee!)… you gonna do "an unboxing"? HA HA! Have fun! rotf2

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#478581 - 10/23/19 07:36 AM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Looking forward to your review, UD! Remind me to keep a low profile around Fran... that photo sounds like my luck with orders in-transit. LOL!

#478583 - 10/23/19 08:09 AM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

... tick-tock...tick-tock... (waiting)

#478588 - 10/23/19 08:47 AM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
saxxman Offline

Soon....soon..... The Best things are worth waiting for....have a fun day Dave!

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#478593 - 10/23/19 09:22 AM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Congrats Dave. 👍
Hope you and all other SX users will have lots of fun while explore and use the new baby.
🎵🎵 keys 🎵🎵
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#478605 - 10/23/19 10:22 AM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

OK - first comments:
1) Key Feel:
It's a little stiffer than previous PSR models, but the throw is longer which is a huge improvement for me. Don Mason will like it, as well.

2) Overall sound of speakers:
Full, rich sound, solid bass. I like it

3) Rhodes /EP sounds:
Not sure why Woody couldn't find any he liked - there's lots, and uber tweakable.

4) Mic processor/effects:
Didn't get to this yet

5) Harmonizer:
same

6) Touch screen response:
excellent. No issues with calibration or timing.

I had to dig for the parameter to lock the tempo from changing, but it's in there.
Buttons feel good - they light up for easy navigation - uncluttered front panel. Touch screen does the majority of the tasks,
Weight/size ratio is excellent

It's a busy day, and I'm also expecting a new banjo, so I'm ging to let this sit for a while, have some lunch, then come back and test the mic settings.
Overall impression is good. It's playable (at last) for me. As I said, the action is still a little on the light side, but so much more responsive, and the longer (deeper) throw helps alot.

Stay tuned ....

#478610 - 10/23/19 10:44 AM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Good luck Dave...dig deeper !!
It's like moving into a new neighborhood
and learning the best streets to get around with.
what EQ/comp did you use?
the 1/2 beat break problem is a real pain, but I'll have to work thru it for now and see what turns up.....
it is certainly a problem ....
maybe in a new OS update it can be fixed?......
most of the fills work ok

Edited by Dnj (10/23/19 11:19 AM)

#478614 - 10/23/19 11:16 AM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
DannyUK Offline

OK - first comments:
1) Key Feel:
It's a little stiffer than previous PSR models, but the throw is longer which is a huge improvement for me. Don Mason will like it, as well.

2) Overall sound of speakers:
Full, rich sound, solid bass. I like it

3) Rhodes /EP sounds:
Not sure why Woody couldn't find any he liked - there's lots, and uber tweakable.

4) Mic processor/effects:
Didn't get to this yet

5) Harmonizer:
same

6) Touch screen response:
excellent. No issues with calibration or timing.

I had to dig for the parameter to lock the tempo from changing, but it's in there.
Buttons feel good - they light up for easy navigation - uncluttered front panel. Touch screen does the majority of the tasks,
Weight/size ratio is excellent

It's a busy day, and I'm also expecting a new banjo, so I'm ging to let this sit for a while, have some lunch, then come back and test the mic settings.
Overall impression is good. It's playable (at last) for me. As I said, the action is still a little on the light side, but so much more responsive, and the longer (deeper) throw helps alot.

Stay tuned ....

Nice impressions and very positive so far. Do you think it will be a keeper for you? Every day I am loving mine more and more and it's been over two weeks.

#478620 - 10/23/19 11:33 AM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Danny,
There's not too much that will make me want to return this. I like having Korg, and Yamaha sounds/styles available in my studio, and this is nice and light for the one nighters.
The only remaining issue I have is with Yamaha's treatment of the one finger mode. I prefer the way Korg addresses this. I can hold down one finger, and get a full chord accompaniment, Tonic & 7h for a maj 7th, and tonic and b7 for a dom 7th. Yamaha one finger mode uses that old Casio method of triggering. One finger is maj, add a second white key to the left for 7, and a black key to the left for min. Don't like that.
Thankfully, I play manual bass quite a lot, so it's not an issue.

#478626 - 10/23/19 12:10 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY

The only remaining issue I have is with Yamaha's treatment of the one finger mode. I prefer the way Korg addresses this.

That is the one thing that keeps me away from Yamaha. Roland has the same mode as Korg. Yamaha probably has better styles for the old country and pop that I like.

#478627 - 10/23/19 12:22 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Dave,
Congratulations, so far so good by the sound of things.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#478632 - 10/23/19 01:07 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Let me preface by saying - there may be many hidden assignments available to the buttons that I haven't gotten to yet. This is a sort of "triage" assessment.

Things I like:
1) you can assign the real time knobs to be volume for any number of sounds/styles/songs. I chose #1 to be songs, bass and drums, and #2 to be keyboard sounds
... make for easy subtle changes during a song. Balancing is easier this way.
2) you can tell the knobs to control the volume/EQ of the "aux in" input, so I may not need a separate mixer for my iPad tracks. TBD
3) The guitar based sounds (esp. w/overdive) are great. Don Mason has used these for years, but I'm the new kid on the block with guitar sounds as a rhythm instrument.
4) Mixer/FX/EQ section is very easy to navigate. Always was, and I missed that. The key feel kept me from enjoying this feature for a long time.
5) It's not the Tyros/Genos keybed, but it IS much more playable than previous PSR offerings. In fact, I predict most players will be comfortable with this.
6) I like the "load next" in the song player. Korg doesn't do this, but to be fair - the dual player in the Korg is way better. Still - with a slight workaround, this is good.

Things I don't like:
1) The Leslie sim is terrible. Like Donny said - it's all or nothing, and actually changes the volume of the sound when pushed. Unless there's a buried menu item that addresses this - it's unusable for me (by no means a deal breaker. You can use the aux outs, and route to an outboard piece if organ is your priority)
2) I haven't used a sustain pedal yet, but I remember lots of sounds that don't respond to the pedal (organs, strings) in past years - I hope this is a settable parameter. I like all my RH sounds to sustain to free up my hands to perform other navigational tasks.

So.... 6 to 2 - not a bad start, huh?

#478635 - 10/23/19 01:15 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Dave right now I am border line on my way back to FEDEX for a return....
I've seen enough....another record set....2 arrangers returned in one week

#478639 - 10/23/19 01:35 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
DannyUK Offline

Dave, loving your impressions and all very positive smile Have you tried the scat voices yet? I remember you posting a video commenting how you liked them. It's fantastic to finally see them in a PSR and it's one of the main reasons why I got an SX900. It really is a beautiful keyboard.

#478642 - 10/23/19 01:40 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

WOAH NELLY! Take it out of the box. You CAN access way more than 99 files at a time in the song player, and the Leslie sim INSERT effect works like a charm.
You gotta keep diggin'. Want me to send you my tootsie rolls, so you'll feel better?
I have a folder open with 350 titles all available to play. Works perfect.

#478646 - 10/23/19 01:51 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Dave,
Yep, one has to keep digging.
I nearly freaked when mine first arrived , no fade in/fade out button, I use fade out a lot. I took a deep breath, and thought there’s no way they could leave something like that out, turns out it was assignable to the buttons under the screen.

First time in years I’ve opened a manual, don’t want to miss any of the features. Haha

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#478648 - 10/23/19 01:55 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

WOAH NELLY! Take it out of the box. You CAN access way more than 99 files at a time in the song player, and the Leslie sim INSERT effect works like a charm.
You gotta keep diggin'. Want me to send you my tootsie rolls, so you'll feel better?
I have a folder open with 350 titles all available to play. Works perfect.

Too late Dave it's Gone and yes I told them about the missing
Mary janes and Tootsie rolls.....they were agast!! mad

#478650 - 10/23/19 02:14 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
rotfl drink

Donny, I know you know your way around the Yamaha OS, at least have a fair degree offmastery. However, there is no way you could have gone through all the new features, sounds, styles, etc in the short period of time that you had the board - it just ain't possible.

If my health were not shot to Hell, I would have the SX-900 in my studio and sitting down next to the owners manual. Yep, I am one of those individuals that actually takes the time to go through every page of the owners manual and other manuals to learn the minute details of the keyboard's features and how to make it perform flawlessly. This cannot be done in a couple hours of a day. It takes weeks and sometimes months to accomplish.

IMHO, judging by the demos I've seen and statements from other owners, Yamaha has hit another home run with the SX-900. I sincerely think you have jumped the gun sending this wonderful arranger keyboard back for a refund.

So the big question is: What's next? Inquiring minds wish to know. smile Gonna fill a 12-ounce glass with ice cubes and cover them with some Jim Bean Honey Bourbon, then sit down with my aging S-950 and work on a song.

Good luck,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (10/23/19 02:28 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#478651 - 10/23/19 02:26 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
I told them about the missing
Mary janes and Tootsie rolls.....they were agast!! mad

I'm Tootsie Rolls and Smarties.
smile

#478653 - 10/23/19 02:27 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
rotfl drink

Good idea Gary I need a drink now....

Honestly keep your s950 for many reasons..

#478654 - 10/23/19 02:30 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: DannyUK]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By DannyUK
Have you tried the scat voices yet?

I have. The layered ones seem to change voices too quickly, so I'll need to edit the velocity switching, but the actual vocal samples are much improved.
I'm about to leave for work (all guitar , and banjo tonight) but tomorrow I'll hook up a sustain pedal, and a mic and see how this puppy performs.
I'm not expecting miracles from the VH2, but if the preamp sounds good enough for my guitar, then I'll use a TC unit for my mic, and feed it into the aux in. I've got choices, and I intend to explore each one.

#478659 - 10/23/19 03:19 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Let me preface by saying - there may be many hidden assignments available to the buttons that I haven't gotten to yet. This is a sort of "triage" assessment.

Things I like:
1) you can assign the real time knobs to be volume for any number of sounds/styles/songs. I chose #1 to be songs, bass and drums, and #2 to be keyboard sounds
... make for easy subtle changes during a song. Balancing is easier this way.
2) you can tell the knobs to control the volume/EQ of the "aux in" input, so I may not need a separate mixer for my iPad tracks. TBD
3) The guitar based sounds (esp. w/overdive) are great. Don Mason has used these for years, but I'm the new kid on the block with guitar sounds as a rhythm instrument.
4) Mixer/FX/EQ section is very easy to navigate. Always was, and I missed that. The key feel kept me from enjoying this feature for a long time.
5) It's not the Tyros/Genos keybed, but it IS much more playable than previous PSR offerings. In fact, I predict most players will be comfortable with this.
6) I like the "load next" in the song player. Korg doesn't do this, but to be fair - the dual player in the Korg is way better. Still - with a slight workaround, this is good.

Things I don't like:
1) The Leslie sim is terrible. Like Donny said - it's all or nothing, and actually changes the volume of the sound when pushed. Unless there's a buried menu item that addresses this - it's unusable for me (by no means a deal breaker. You can use the aux outs, and route to an outboard piece if organ is your priority)

**UPDATE** The Leslie insert effect works just like you want it too. The screen is pretty, and the slow/fast switch is gradual, and authentic. Pity that so far, the dedicated button will go to waste unless we can assign it to something else. If you use the joystick, you can get a gradual change, as well.

2) I haven't used a sustain pedal yet, but I remember lots of sounds that don't respond to the pedal (organs, strings) in past years - I hope this is a settable parameter. I like all my RH sounds to sustain to free up my hands to perform other navigational tasks.

So.... 6 to 2 - not a bad start, huh?

#478663 - 10/23/19 03:51 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia

All I know that my PSR only keeps these sounds sustained if you use your pedal as a "Sostenuto" - which is a bit tricky.

#478691 - 10/23/19 06:33 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
saxxman Offline

Thanks Dave! Keep the assessments coming!

#478696 - 10/23/19 06:57 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

My Sx900 review was honest and true for my needs as a player.... No BS... No Fluff.. Plain and simple..
I don't need to wait weeks as I have owned over 20 Yamaha units of all kinds.... I'll say this the imo S950, S970, sound best of all the S, & Sx motl line to my ears so far. But what do I know...

Edited by Dnj (10/23/19 06:58 PM)

#478697 - 10/23/19 07:02 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Dnj]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Originally Posted By Dnj
My Sx900 review was honest and true for my needs as a player.... No BS... No Fluff.. Plain and simple..
I don't need to wait weeks as I have owned over 20 Yamaha units of all kinds.... I'll say this the imo S950, S970, sound best of all the S, & Sx motl line to my ears so far. But what do I know...

Donny, if I understand you correctly, you're saying that the PSR-S950 and PSR-S970 sound better than the new PSR-SX900???

Edited by Mikem (10/23/19 08:37 PM)

#478698 - 10/23/19 07:08 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
But what do I know...

Good question.

#478699 - 10/23/19 07:31 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: cgiles]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Originally Posted By Dnj
But what do I know...

Good question.

rotfl rotf2 rotfl

#478700 - 10/23/19 07:40 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Mikem]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Mikem
Originally Posted By Dnj

Donny, if I understand you correctly, you're saying that the PSR-s950 and PSR-S970 sound better than the new PSR-SX900???

Yes Michael in many ways... I have to go with what my ears tell me... new is always not the best...

#478701 - 10/23/19 07:46 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Dnj]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Yes Michael in many ways... I have to go with what my ears tell me... new is always not the best...

Since Hammer has a 975 for sale, we could have a new contender in the keyboard mystery sweepstakes. smile

#478703 - 10/23/19 07:59 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By W Tracy Parnell
Originally Posted By Dnj

Since Hammer has a 975 for sale, we could have a new contender in the keyboard mystery sweepstakes. smile

Sorry.
. But no..

#478705 - 10/23/19 08:39 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Dnj]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By Mikem
Originally Posted By Dnj

Donny, if I understand you correctly, you're saying that the PSR-s950 and PSR-S970 sound better than the new PSR-SX900???

I hear you, Donny. Thanks for your answer. smile

#478706 - 10/23/19 08:55 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
CB from NZ Offline

I found my sx900 sounded GREAT in my studio, but not so wonderful on it's own speakers so far!

#478707 - 10/23/19 08:59 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: CB from NZ]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi,
Have you tried changing eq setting

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#478708 - 10/23/19 09:00 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: CB from NZ]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By CB from NZ
I found my sx900 sounded GREAT in my studio, but not so wonderful on it's own speakers so far!

Have you played thru a PA live on stage too?

#478788 - 10/24/19 12:08 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: Leslie sim; I put a note on this in a newer thread also, but since that issue is mentioned here too - thought i'd mention that some of the Organ voices that are not "Organ Flutes" (i.e. don't use the virtual Drawbars), such as the "WhiterShade" voice, have the 'leslie' built-in to the samples; they don't use the Leslie Sim (Rotary DSP FX). So, the Rotary speed does not have the gradual speed changes. This was true for those same voices on Tyros3, Tyros and Genos. The "Organ Flutes" voices do (by default) have the Rotary DSP effect, which includes slow-down and ramp-up-speed effects . . .

Jim

#478790 - 10/24/19 12:27 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
saxxman Offline

Thanks Jim! Great info for sure! Your post is further evidence that this forum is "chock full" of valuable expertise! Thanks again for the clarification!

#478799 - 10/24/19 01:16 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: jimlaing]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By jimlaing
Re: Leslie sim; I put a note on this in a newer thread also, but since that issue is mentioned here too - thought i'd mention that some of the Organ voices that are not "Organ Flutes" (i.e. don't use the virtual Drawbars), such as the "WhiterShade" voice, have the 'leslie' built-in to the samples; they don't use the Leslie Sim (Rotary DSP FX). So, the Rotary speed does not have the gradual speed changes. This was true for those same voices on Tyros3, Tyros and Genos. The "Organ Flutes" voices do (by default) have the Rotary DSP effect, which includes slow-down and ramp-up-speed effects . . .

Jim

Jim that's fine and dandy that's why I gave an example demo recording in my post of many different organs that have an abrupt Leslie
start up..

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online