Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#478654 - 10/23/19 02:30 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: DannyUK]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By DannyUK
Have you tried the scat voices yet?

I have. The layered ones seem to change voices too quickly, so I'll need to edit the velocity switching, but the actual vocal samples are much improved.
I'm about to leave for work (all guitar , and banjo tonight) but tomorrow I'll hook up a sustain pedal, and a mic and see how this puppy performs.
I'm not expecting miracles from the VH2, but if the preamp sounds good enough for my guitar, then I'll use a TC unit for my mic, and feed it into the aux in. I've got choices, and I intend to explore each one.

#478659 - 10/23/19 03:19 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Let me preface by saying - there may be many hidden assignments available to the buttons that I haven't gotten to yet. This is a sort of "triage" assessment.

Things I like:
1) you can assign the real time knobs to be volume for any number of sounds/styles/songs. I chose #1 to be songs, bass and drums, and #2 to be keyboard sounds
... make for easy subtle changes during a song. Balancing is easier this way.
2) you can tell the knobs to control the volume/EQ of the "aux in" input, so I may not need a separate mixer for my iPad tracks. TBD
3) The guitar based sounds (esp. w/overdive) are great. Don Mason has used these for years, but I'm the new kid on the block with guitar sounds as a rhythm instrument.
4) Mixer/FX/EQ section is very easy to navigate. Always was, and I missed that. The key feel kept me from enjoying this feature for a long time.
5) It's not the Tyros/Genos keybed, but it IS much more playable than previous PSR offerings. In fact, I predict most players will be comfortable with this.
6) I like the "load next" in the song player. Korg doesn't do this, but to be fair - the dual player in the Korg is way better. Still - with a slight workaround, this is good.

Things I don't like:
1) The Leslie sim is terrible. Like Donny said - it's all or nothing, and actually changes the volume of the sound when pushed. Unless there's a buried menu item that addresses this - it's unusable for me (by no means a deal breaker. You can use the aux outs, and route to an outboard piece if organ is your priority)

**UPDATE** The Leslie insert effect works just like you want it too. The screen is pretty, and the slow/fast switch is gradual, and authentic. Pity that so far, the dedicated button will go to waste unless we can assign it to something else. If you use the joystick, you can get a gradual change, as well.

2) I haven't used a sustain pedal yet, but I remember lots of sounds that don't respond to the pedal (organs, strings) in past years - I hope this is a settable parameter. I like all my RH sounds to sustain to free up my hands to perform other navigational tasks.

So.... 6 to 2 - not a bad start, huh?

#478663 - 10/23/19 03:51 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave

2) I haven't used a sustain pedal yet, but I remember lots of sounds that don't respond to the pedal (organs, strings) in past years - I hope this is a settable parameter. I like all my RH sounds to sustain to free up my hands to perform other navigational tasks.

All I know that my PSR only keeps these sounds sustained if you use your pedal as a "Sostenuto" - which is a bit tricky.

#478691 - 10/23/19 06:33 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Thanks Dave! Keep the assessments coming!

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#478696 - 10/23/19 06:57 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

My Sx900 review was honest and true for my needs as a player.... No BS... No Fluff.. Plain and simple..
I don't need to wait weeks as I have owned over 20 Yamaha units of all kinds.... I'll say this the imo S950, S970, sound best of all the S, & Sx motl line to my ears so far. But what do I know...

Edited by Dnj (10/23/19 06:58 PM)

#478697 - 10/23/19 07:02 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Dnj]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Originally Posted By Dnj
My Sx900 review was honest and true for my needs as a player.... No BS... No Fluff.. Plain and simple..
I don't need to wait weeks as I have owned over 20 Yamaha units of all kinds.... I'll say this the imo S950, S970, sound best of all the S, & Sx motl line to my ears so far. But what do I know...

Donny, if I understand you correctly, you're saying that the PSR-S950 and PSR-S970 sound better than the new PSR-SX900???

Edited by Mikem (10/23/19 08:37 PM)

#478698 - 10/23/19 07:08 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
But what do I know...

Good question.

#478699 - 10/23/19 07:31 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: cgiles]
W Tracy Parnell Online   content

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By cgiles
Originally Posted By Dnj
But what do I know...

Good question.

rotfl rotf2 rotfl

#478700 - 10/23/19 07:40 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Mikem]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Mikem
Originally Posted By Dnj

Donny, if I understand you correctly, you're saying that the PSR-s950 and PSR-S970 sound better than the new PSR-SX900???

Yes Michael in many ways... I have to go with what my ears tell me... new is always not the best...

#478701 - 10/23/19 07:46 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Dnj]
W Tracy Parnell Online   content

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By Dnj
Yes Michael in many ways... I have to go with what my ears tell me... new is always not the best...

Since Hammer has a 975 for sale, we could have a new contender in the keyboard mystery sweepstakes. smile

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online