SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#478578 - 10/23/19 07:28 AM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Congrats Dave and keep us posted. Since I asked Donny (Tee Hee Hee!)… you gonna do "an unboxing"? HA HA! Have fun! rotf2

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#478581 - 10/23/19 07:36 AM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Looking forward to your review, UD! Remind me to keep a low profile around Fran... that photo sounds like my luck with orders in-transit. LOL!

#478583 - 10/23/19 08:09 AM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
... tick-tock...tick-tock... (waiting)

#478588 - 10/23/19 08:47 AM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Soon....soon..... The Best things are worth waiting for....have a fun day Dave!

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#478593 - 10/23/19 09:22 AM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Congrats Dave. 👍
Hope you and all other SX users will have lots of fun while explore and use the new baby.
🎵🎵 keys 🎵🎵
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#478605 - 10/23/19 10:22 AM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

OK - first comments:
1) Key Feel:
It's a little stiffer than previous PSR models, but the throw is longer which is a huge improvement for me. Don Mason will like it, as well.

2) Overall sound of speakers:
Full, rich sound, solid bass. I like it

3) Rhodes /EP sounds:
Not sure why Woody couldn't find any he liked - there's lots, and uber tweakable.

4) Mic processor/effects:
Didn't get to this yet

5) Harmonizer:
same

6) Touch screen response:
excellent. No issues with calibration or timing.

I had to dig for the parameter to lock the tempo from changing, but it's in there.
Buttons feel good - they light up for easy navigation - uncluttered front panel. Touch screen does the majority of the tasks,
Weight/size ratio is excellent

It's a busy day, and I'm also expecting a new banjo, so I'm ging to let this sit for a while, have some lunch, then come back and test the mic settings.
Overall impression is good. It's playable (at last) for me. As I said, the action is still a little on the light side, but so much more responsive, and the longer (deeper) throw helps alot.

Stay tuned ....

#478610 - 10/23/19 10:44 AM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Good luck Dave...dig deeper !!
It's like moving into a new neighborhood
and learning the best streets to get around with.
what EQ/comp did you use?
the 1/2 beat break problem is a real pain, but I'll have to work thru it for now and see what turns up.....
it is certainly a problem ....
maybe in a new OS update it can be fixed?......
most of the fills work ok

Edited by Dnj (10/23/19 11:19 AM)

#478614 - 10/23/19 11:16 AM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
DannyUK Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
OK - first comments:
1) Key Feel:
It's a little stiffer than previous PSR models, but the throw is longer which is a huge improvement for me. Don Mason will like it, as well.

2) Overall sound of speakers:
Full, rich sound, solid bass. I like it

3) Rhodes /EP sounds:
Not sure why Woody couldn't find any he liked - there's lots, and uber tweakable.

4) Mic processor/effects:
Didn't get to this yet

5) Harmonizer:
same

6) Touch screen response:
excellent. No issues with calibration or timing.

I had to dig for the parameter to lock the tempo from changing, but it's in there.
Buttons feel good - they light up for easy navigation - uncluttered front panel. Touch screen does the majority of the tasks,
Weight/size ratio is excellent

It's a busy day, and I'm also expecting a new banjo, so I'm ging to let this sit for a while, have some lunch, then come back and test the mic settings.
Overall impression is good. It's playable (at last) for me. As I said, the action is still a little on the light side, but so much more responsive, and the longer (deeper) throw helps alot.

Stay tuned ....

Nice impressions and very positive so far. Do you think it will be a keeper for you? Every day I am loving mine more and more and it's been over two weeks.

#478620 - 10/23/19 11:33 AM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Danny,
There's not too much that will make me want to return this. I like having Korg, and Yamaha sounds/styles available in my studio, and this is nice and light for the one nighters.
The only remaining issue I have is with Yamaha's treatment of the one finger mode. I prefer the way Korg addresses this. I can hold down one finger, and get a full chord accompaniment, Tonic & 7h for a maj 7th, and tonic and b7 for a dom 7th. Yamaha one finger mode uses that old Casio method of triggering. One finger is maj, add a second white key to the left for 7, and a black key to the left for min. Don't like that.
Thankfully, I play manual bass quite a lot, so it's not an issue.

#478626 - 10/23/19 12:10 PM Re: 1st impression of the SX900 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
W Tracy Parnell Online   content

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave

The only remaining issue I have is with Yamaha's treatment of the one finger mode. I prefer the way Korg addresses this.

That is the one thing that keeps me away from Yamaha. Roland has the same mode as Korg. Yamaha probably has better styles for the old country and pop that I like.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online