SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#47853 - 01/11/05 02:19 PM KN7000 failure
Peter Lowden Offline

Loc: England
This evening my Kn7000 whilst reading data from the floppy drive suddenly stopped and all the panel lights etc went out. When I tried to reboot again all that would light up was the blue light by the SD card.

I've booked it in for repair, has anyone experienced the same problems? Are the spares readily available in the UK?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Kind regards

Peter Loudon

#47854 - 01/11/05 03:33 PM Re: KN7000 failure
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Peter,
mine went down during a lightning storm about a year ago. When it booted back up ( it didn't quite sound as bad as yours) it wasn't functiong 100%.
Alec ( Technicsplayer) gave me some instructions on how to do some sort of diagnostics, anyway, whatever it was, worked, and my kn was back 100%. Fortunately the strike hadn't done any physical damage. I can't remember what he told me to do,( and it was at my own risk), hopefully he's still on the forum, and he may be able to help.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peter Lowden:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#47855 - 01/11/05 04:07 PM Re: KN7000 failure
Anonymous
Unregistered

Peter,

I replied to a query about a EA-5 organ problem and it probably applies to you.

There are certain key combinations to bring your 7000 back to normal. I have them on file but at the present cannot locate.

I am sure Bill N. or our good friend Alec can provide them for you before I can find them.

Lose the 7000...........lose a leg.

Fran in Florida

#47856 - 01/12/05 03:46 AM Re: KN7000 failure
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
If I remember correctly, holding down keys C#3, D#3 and C#4 and then switching on, provides a whole series of test pages.
However, if your KN7000 is totally 'dead' then even this may not work and still require a visit to the KN doctor.....
Note : C1 is the lowest key on your KN7000.

Also posted by Alec about a year ago, in response to a query from rikkisbears..........
see : http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum25/HTML/002383.html

Try a factory reset - hold down 8&16, Rock, Ballad and Jazz buttons and switch on. Do this first
There are some others tests to try:

take out any EW boards.

1. hold down keys D3 and D4, switch on, anything in screen? then switch off.
Wait a few seconds.
2. repeat with keys E3 and E4 - press auto sweep.
3. repeat with F3 and F4 - press demo then panel set for left/right led check.
4. repeat with G3 and G4 - lcd test
5. repeat with A3 and A4 - ok confirmation
6. repeat with B3 and B4 - press test with blank floppy in drive.

if this does not work get in touch and I'll send you some special self extractors to try re-installing the o/s.

at least then you'll know if it is the hardware.

No responsibility is accepted for anyone else who chooses to play around with the above.

good luck!

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#47857 - 01/12/05 09:18 AM Re: KN7000 failure
Peter Lowden Offline

Many thanks Bill for taking the time to help.
I've printed out your instructions etc for future reference.

Alas my KN7000 is beyond the procedures you mention, just hope there are spares out there in the UK to put right whatever is wrong.

Kind regards to all

Peter

#47858 - 01/12/05 10:22 AM Re: KN7000 failure
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hiya Pete
My commiserations - hope you get it fixed soon - any idea how it happened; was there a bug on the floppy disk?
Rog

[This message has been edited by RMepstead (edited 01-12-2005).]

#47859 - 01/12/05 10:49 AM Re: KN7000 failure
Tom NL Offline

Loc: Holland
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Lowden:
When I tried to reboot again all that would light up was the blue light by the SD card.

This might not be as bad as it seems. It could very well be a fuse in the main power circuit. If your KN is out of warranty I would check for a blown fuse myself first.

Good luck, hope you'll be playing again soon!

------------------
Tom NL

#47860 - 01/12/05 02:11 PM Re: KN7000 failure
rikkisbears Offline

Thanks Bill
for finding that. I thought it might have been lost when Synthzone went down a few months back.

Strange, it must be nearly a year to the day that it happened to my kn7.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#47861 - 01/12/05 02:21 PM Re: KN7000 failure
rikkisbears Offline

[Thanks Bill
for finding that. I thought it might have been lost when Synthzone went down a few months back.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
[B][/B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#47862 - 01/12/05 10:42 PM Re: KN7000 failure
Peter Lowden Offline

Firstly many thanks to all throughout the thread / forum, for all the help, advice, experiences etc etc. It's really very kind and helpful, great to know you're out there.

I've printed out the instructions you've posted Bill for system re-set and the tests you mention, and added the page in my owners manual, never know when I might need this info.

You mention Bill "special self extractors to re-installing the o/s" if it's not too much trouble i'd love a copy of these files with any brief instructions on how to install the OS.

With regard my KN7000 it's gone in for repair, to my amazement it briefly came to life during one of the desperate on/off button presses I made just before I took it to the engineer.
The moment power is drawn to load any file from the floppy drive the keyboard shuts down.

According to the engineer whom I informed of the above, it points at this stage as a possible fault with the floppy drive, but more likely a power supply problem, but obviously tests are needed to determine the exact problem.

Once again thanks to all

Kind regards

Peter

#47863 - 01/13/05 02:41 AM Re: KN7000 failure
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Peter,
The comment Quote "if this does not work get in touch and I'll send you some special self extractors to try re-installing the o/s." in my original posting, was within Alec's reply to rikkisbears. I do not possess the utility - sorry!! I believe it was a 'special offer' related to rikki's specific problem and probably irrelevant to your situation, now that your KN has gone to the doctor . I just quoted Alec's post in total.......

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#47864 - 01/13/05 08:19 AM Re: KN7000 failure
dpeisic Offline

Loc: San Deigo, Ca, USA
It may also be as simple as the on/off switch, contact type problem.

With regards to the KN7000 on/off switch, to avoide wear&tear on the kn7000 on/off switch, is it safe to connect the kn7000 power cord to a switch surge box and to turn it on and off from the swtich box (while kn700 on /off botton is alwyes on) rather than from the kn7000?

W/r
Doron Peisic

#47865 - 01/13/05 09:05 PM Re: KN7000 failure
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Peter,
fortunately for me, I never required the stuff Alec offered to send. The initial instructions that I followed, actually fixed my keyboard, obviously my operating system was still working.

best wishes
Rikki

Luckily also saved me an expensive service call.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peter Lowden:
[B]
You mention Bill "special self extractors to re-installing the o/s" if it's not too much trouble i'd love a copy of these files with any brief instructions on how to install the OS.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online