SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#477793 - 10/11/19 03:03 PM Re: Yamaha PSR-SX900 BATTLES Korg PA1000 [Re: jamman]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By jamman
Originally Posted By rikkisbears
Originally Posted By leeboy
I don't sing, I don't GIG out, I play the more smooth type music, ballads, musical theatre, 50. 60 love songs...easy listening mostly...so for me the Yamaha has the best sounds AND styles for my type of playing.

Ditto, took me 10 years to realise I was playing wrong brand of keyboard.
Happy with my SX now.

P.s, I did enjoy those 10 years, but, didn’t do much actual playing.

Agreed. Even with hours of editing, styles may not be smooth/ natural in comparison since the original style/fills/transitions- programming is busy/overwritten ( plus lack of 3rd party styles) and takes away playing time.

Again we are not taking about the “ editing power”/ “ sequencer”, “ sound/ program editing”, “hardware”, “keys”, built quality”, “ functions”, “VH”,” bang for the buck”, etc.We are talking about simple unbusy 4/4 styles. Having simple 8 beat/ 16 beats styles with simple / natural bass lines which is a must for western ( non middle eastern/non Eastern European /Balkan) music player especially your gig depends on arranger function.

SMF’ers, Sequence replayers and , LH bass players who use arranger as drum machine will say they have no issues.

Hi ,
I was fortunate that I discovered 3 or 4 styles on my s950 that did work really well with one of my songbooks. I’ve got somewhere between 30 to 40 of those songs covered with just those styles.
Must be fairly simple if they work with so many tunes?
Might need to work out something for the intro’s, for a bit of variety , but at least I’ll get time to play.
Btw, the styles are also on the sx.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#477796 - 10/11/19 03:36 PM Re: Yamaha PSR-SX900 BATTLES Korg PA1000 [Re: rikkisbears]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Ditto, took me 10 years to realise I was playing wrong brand of keyboard. Happy with my SX now.

Rikki, I’m glad to hear your enjoying the SX900. I suspect you’re referring to Korg when you stated you played the wrong keyboard for 10 years.
JM

#477800 - 10/11/19 04:11 PM Re: Yamaha PSR-SX900 BATTLES Korg PA1000 [Re: Telmo]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Gary, I agree...when I had the PA2XPRO, it was obvious many of their samples were not correctly done....can't really fix that with programming. Some sounds were real nice also. But the styles seemed wrong for a lot of the music I like....subjective of course. I don't need to keep em dancing....so I don't want/need drums that are in your face so to speak....but I do want them to sound as real as possible. Same for all the orchestral sounds...I want them EXCELLENT, as they are important to my playing.

Looking for a SX900 right now in Florida to test out.
Lee

#477801 - 10/11/19 04:14 PM Re: Yamaha PSR-SX900 BATTLES Korg PA1000 [Re: Telmo]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Telmo, Hi my old friend.....I thought you played T5 last time we communicated??
Lee

#477804 - 10/11/19 04:52 PM Re: Yamaha PSR-SX900 BATTLES Korg PA1000 [Re: leeboy]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Good comparison, but the comparison can not make the final decision about which keyboard you want. The decision can be answered, when you know you. Situation change, and so must we.

My story:
1-Technics to Yamaha Psr2100.
2-Moved on to a Tyros 3
3-Moved from a Korg Pa800 through to a Pa4x.
4-Sold the Pa4x because of the weight.
5-Moved to a Yamaha S975.
6-Traded with a member – his Pa1000 for my Yamaha S975.
7-Just sold the Korg Pa1000.

I was trying to find what I wanted, but the situation had changed, I am now a home player.
If I were still able to play out, I with-out-doubt, would have a Korg keyboard.

Playing at home I am no longer interested how fast I can move form A to Z, but in the sounds of the instruments and the amount of styles for my entertainment, the overall clear quality has me sold on a Sx900.
Rikki starts with, “Who am I” and then makes her decision. That sounds like good wisdom.

As the years pass ears begin to hear less, mostly in the highs and the clarity. So, a Yamaha S900. I would follow Steve’s thoughts and own both keyboards, but that would bring confusion; I want to reach without thinking.

Thanks for reading, John C.

#477812 - 10/11/19 06:58 PM Re: Yamaha PSR-SX900 BATTLES Korg PA1000 [Re: jingleman]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By jingleman
Ditto, took me 10 years to realise I was playing wrong brand of keyboard. Happy with my SX now.

Rikki, I’m glad to hear your enjoying the SX900. I suspect you’re referring to Korg when you stated you played the wrong keyboard for 10 years.
JM

Thank you,
yes I am referring to the korgs, I really enjoyed them over the years, the technology was amazing,
But, last year the words for this song rang true,

“You don’t know what you got till it’s gone”

A badly broken right wrist, 8 months of complications and not knowing if my right hand would go back to normal.
Realised what’s the point of all the technology and converting styles etc if I didn’t actually play.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#477813 - 10/11/19 07:06 PM Re: Yamaha PSR-SX900 BATTLES Korg PA1000 [Re: bruno123]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By bruno123
Good comparison, but the comparison can not make the final decision about which keyboard you want. The decision can be answered, when you know you. Situation change, and so must we.

I agree John, both sound great, but for various reasons one may suit someone better than the other. Becoming more apparent thru various posts that home players and gigging musicians have different needs.

Edited by rikkisbears (10/11/19 07:10 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#477823 - 10/12/19 01:39 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-SX900 BATTLES Korg PA1000 [Re: rikkisbears]
DannyUK Offline

Thanks for posting this Telmo. Interesting comparison, I have both keyboards and I know the Korg sounds better than this. In this particular demo, it does seem to lean towards Yamaha but I think the player could have maybe select Korg's stronger area's to compare with, as I mentioned before, the Latin & Unplugged stuff on the Korg surpasses those of the Yamaha (in my opinion of course) but from what I saw here none of those categories were compared unless I missed it.

Minus the Expansion pack sounds of Yamaha, the Korg drums for Latin out of the box are far superior than Yamaha's.

Hopefully we'll see more comparisons soon.

Btw, I know it's not quite the same but these two videos shows a good comparison between the PA1000 vs S975 since the Korg was used to better effect in these demos I feel, sure it's not the same comparison as the topic but since the S975 sounds close to the SX900 it's a decent marker.

Bonners Music

A&C Hamilton

#477825 - 10/12/19 03:07 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-SX900 BATTLES Korg PA1000 [Re: DannyUK]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Originally Posted By DannyUK
Thanks for posting this Telmo. Interesting comparison, I have both keyboards and I know the Korg sounds better than this. In this particular demo, it does seem to lean towards Yamaha but I think the player could have maybe select Korg's stronger area's to compare with, as I mentioned before, the Latin & Unplugged stuff on the Korg surpasses those of the Yamaha .

the British are well-known for their Understatement and Danny is no exception smile smile
He states that he knows the Korg sounds better than demo-ed in the Telmo video. It sounds way, way way BETTER than demonstrated in that video. No, I am not trying to take away the pending joy of those in the USA awaiting delivery. If you have read my previous contribution in this same thread you will know I strongly support having two keyboards of both brands and I also acknowledge the fact that a number of sounds are definitely superior on the Yamahas.....
I rest my case,

regards,
John

#477828 - 10/12/19 04:15 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-SX900 BATTLES Korg PA1000 [Re: Telmo]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Here is a video of Alois Muller with the Korg pa1000. Just listen how good the Korg sounds if you know what you are doing. I think most of you like and play this kind of music.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online