SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#47833 - 09/08/03 01:48 AM Re: Measure Edit
technicsplayer Offline

Bob, sure we disagree, not about possible fixes to software, but over your claim that if this were done it would be mean less button pushing, which for the problem under discussion is clearly not the case compared to a solution I've suggested now.

Walt, did you prime both apc and control tracks? All you have to do is dial up just before the ending and punch in knowing the measure and the chord. Auto punch is even easier and foolproof and can also be dialled in. I can delete any ending in 2 seconds using this method. The great advantage is that if you have any melody/counter melody that overlapped the ending, these remain untouched, and if wanting to repeat you just repeat from the next measure with the melody intact but no ending command.

The next easiest method without using step record is measure erase since you can dial up the specific measure and set the data range to control only. Do this on tracks 5 and 6 of an easy recording and it takes me about 3 seconds and again leaves the melody untouched. The only point I'm making is that if your ending is in measure 100, then step record will require another 100 button pushes to get there, something that can be easily avoided by knowing how to use the full facilities on offer.

#47834 - 09/08/03 08:02 AM Re: Measure Edit
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Alec, OK and thank you.
I got punch record (auto) to kill the ending. I guess the key here was "dial up just before the ending".
Now there is another problem. When I play the sequence all the way through, it resets itself automatically to measure 1 and starts playing all over again, except only the drums are audible.
How do I kill this action?
Regards,
Walt

#47835 - 09/08/03 11:03 AM Re: Measure Edit
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Well, I'm back. The news from the doctor this morning was not good. But, back to Larry's song. . . When I considered deleting or punching nothing to the control track, I couldn't find a simple way to reinsert all the desired control events that were in the measure. As I recall, there were over a dozen events in the measure, most of which were subtle changes in expression using the expression pedal. I had no problem with punching to or deleting the APC track. But I didn't feel I should just throw away all of Larry's control events along with the ending event. So, I discarded the approaches that Alec has used for the control track. The approach that I used included more steps that do take more time than Alec's approach. But, we're not in a race. We are just trying to solve Larry's problem. Did you have a solution for replacing the deleted events, that I don't know about, Alec?

#47836 - 09/08/03 11:57 AM Re: Measure Edit
technicsplayer Offline

Walt, I assume you've doubled up the song and this happens at the end? Without seeing the sequence and the steps you took to reach this stage I can not say, I could list many possible reasons. Perhaps the first thing to try would be a measure delete from the end of last measure onwards to bring the end command back to the end of the sequence (dial up an extra couple of hundred measures to make sure). Perhaps the next might be to insert a step record control stop command at the end of the ending (if a start goes in first just delete it), it all depends on the particular sequence and how you got to this point

Bob, no-one has mentioned other control information that needs to be retained. If you now wish to completely change the criteria of the presented problem to include this new information it is perfectly obvious that all you have to do is erase the end command in the control track using step record, and then punch through the apc measure. This will easily satisfy your new conditions.

#47837 - 09/08/03 12:40 PM Re: Measure Edit
Bob Hendershot Offline

Sorry, Alec. I thought you knew that we were talking about Larry's song that was the subject of this thread. I agree with you! We need to delete the ending event in the measure, and leave the other events alone. Wouldn't it be nice if in the process of doing that, the software worked as it should and also deleted the event in the APC track? Then we would be back to a simple one step action. Think about what is needed to delete a fill-in elsewhere in the song where it is mixed with several other control events in the measure. I say again, the software needs to be fixed.

#47838 - 09/08/03 12:49 PM Re: Measure Edit
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
How about this ?

At the "Rythmn Ending" Measure, Punch Record(CTL)a "Fill-In". Then Copy and Paste the measures you want to use to extend the song after that fill-in.
I would think that would provide a nice transition for the newly copied mesures.

Will that work? Will Punch Recording a fill-in over ride the ending ? I guess I should just try it, uh ?

PS Not to dwell on it, but I agree with Bob. If your select "ending delete"...it should delete, or it least it should be explained in the owners manual that you can't delete an ending this way.(Walt is right about that)

Alex, thanks for the Punch Record Tip. It is a tool I should be using more often, although a little tricky to grasp.

SeeYa
Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#47839 - 09/08/03 12:53 PM Re: Measure Edit
Bob Hendershot Offline

Larry, you gave away one of our secret tricks. . .

#47840 - 09/08/03 01:52 PM Re: Measure Edit
technicsplayer Offline

Larry, yes that will obviously work, whether you wish a use fill to improve the subjective effect of the transition to the repeat or not is immaterial, I have used the first measure of the ending in the past which often provides a pleasing subjective outcome. Glad my method works for you.

Bob, you may have been talking about Larry’s song, but no one mentioned keeping control events until you brought it up late in the day. If you would have said that in the first place then I could have described the final solution immediately. I have no problem with fixes to software, I merely took issue with your obviously incorrect statements about required button pushes.

#47841 - 09/08/03 02:18 PM Re: Measure Edit
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Now I was told that to erase an ending to use " Sequencer Measure Erase"
However,because of a flaw in the 7000, if you want to measure erase an ending that has the ending at measure 48 to 50, you actually need to measure erase begining at measure 47 to 50.(not 48)
Does this sound right?

Also, does using an expression pedal have any affect on ones ability to erase the rythmn ending using Step Record(CTL)?

When I erase the * IN Step Record, (where the rythmn ending is), the * rythmn ending will be removed, however, there remains many more *** ** **** . Is this because of the expression pedal? If not, what are those remaining *'s ? Why is there data after an ending, particularly AFTER I deleted the Ending ?

Slightly confused
Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#47842 - 09/08/03 03:06 PM Re: Measure Edit
technicsplayer Offline

I’ve described 3 ways to get rid of an ending off the top of my head, Larry, I could probably think of a few more, it all depends on exactly what you want to do next... If the ending is in measure 48, that is the only measure that needs consideration to remove the ending pattern, for instance with punch or measure erase of control data or whatever.

The expression pedal has no effect on the ability to erase the ending, whether you wish to keep the expression in the middle of the song is a subjective judgement which is possible using the method I’ve described, if you feel the expression is inappropriate to the middle of the song, and belongs only at the end you can delete all the data or only some and use a quicker method, its purely subjective and quite possible either way, whichever you desire.

The asterisks are all control data - with the song you are all talking about (which I have never seen) I would assume they are expression data. The expression is input from an analogue potentiometer whose output is stored as a series of digital volume levels over time as it is moved – the many asterisks. They are there after you remove the ending because an ending is generally 4 or 8 bars. Removing the ending command does not remove the following 4 or 8 bars, they merely play without the ending pattern in the same rhythm as was playing immediately before the end command. To remove the following measures use the measure erase etc etc.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online