SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#477758 - 10/11/19 09:48 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-SX900 BATTLES Korg PA1000 [Re: jingleman]
Dnj Offline

I said the features are the key to it all
on both... Not sound or styles..

#477763 - 10/11/19 11:30 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-SX900 BATTLES Korg PA1000 [Re: Telmo]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
Well, it looks a bit risky of Jeremy See to "borrow" third party content. Also, it looks like he's being rather pragmatic when he invites to discuss it, because comments help the channel to be more popular (YouTube's algorithm).

As for the comparison, while I'm all for variety, so far I can't say that I liked anything about PA1000 very much. Styles are a bit mechanical to me. Drums and guitars on SX900 make a more colourful picture.

But I know it's not safe to draw a conclusion based on demos. It can be that the very thing which makes Yamaha attractive is also the one which makes you bored of it afterwards.

By the way, do you get the meaning of Jeremy's greeting, when he says "what's up Jeremies...?" Does it make sence to you?

#477764 - 10/11/19 11:37 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-SX900 BATTLES Korg PA1000 [Re: Telmo]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Donny
I see you are having trouble turning this thread, exclusively, toward features, but I guess sound has something to do with the equation.

#477766 - 10/11/19 11:59 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-SX900 BATTLES Korg PA1000 [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
Donny
I see you are having trouble turning this thread, exclusively, toward features, but I guess sound has something to do with the equation.

Features mean everything to me.... Both kbs can be made to sound great.. People are hung up on the sounds and styles imo.. But features and navigation is most essential and most important to me.

#477767 - 10/11/19 12:00 PM Re: Yamaha PSR-SX900 BATTLES Korg PA1000 [Re: Kabinopus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Kabinopus

By the way, do you get the meaning of Jeremy's greeting, when he says "what's up Jeremies...?" Does it make sence to you?

What I don't get is he never played a SX900?

#477771 - 10/11/19 12:25 PM Re: Yamaha PSR-SX900 BATTLES Korg PA1000 [Re: Telmo]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
I don't sing, I don't GIG out, I play the more smooth type music, ballads, musical theatre, 50. 60 love songs...easy listening mostly...so for me the Yamaha has the best sounds AND styles for my type of playing. I had a Korg PA2XPRO, and sent 3 pages of data to them highlighting the samples and sound programming that needed serious work, never heard a thing back.
I'm a old organ player at heart, had Conn, Thomas and several Yamaha's....and I want/need great Orchestral sounds mostly...Genos is king for me, but I may go SX900 for now.
Lee

#477779 - 10/11/19 12:53 PM Re: Yamaha PSR-SX900 BATTLES Korg PA1000 [Re: leeboy]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By leeboy
I don't sing, I don't GIG out, I play the more smooth type music, ballads, musical theatre, 50. 60 love songs...easy listening mostly...so for me the Yamaha has the best sounds AND styles for my type of playing.

Ditto, took me 10 years to realise I was playing wrong brand of keyboard.
Happy with my SX now.

P.s, I did enjoy those 10 years, but, didn’t do much actual playing.

Edited by rikkisbears (10/11/19 12:55 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#477787 - 10/11/19 02:41 PM Re: Yamaha PSR-SX900 BATTLES Korg PA1000 [Re: rikkisbears]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Originally Posted By rikkisbears
Originally Posted By leeboy
I don't sing, I don't GIG out, I play the more smooth type music, ballads, musical theatre, 50. 60 love songs...easy listening mostly...so for me the Yamaha has the best sounds AND styles for my type of playing.

Ditto, took me 10 years to realise I was playing wrong brand of keyboard.
Happy with my SX now.

P.s, I did enjoy those 10 years, but, didn’t do much actual playing.

Agreed. Even with hours of editing, Korg styles may not be smooth/ natural in comparison since the original style/fills/transitions- programming is busy/overwritten ( plus lack of 3rd party styles) compared to Yamaha and takes away playing time.

Again we are not taking about the Korg’s “ editing power”/ “ sequencer”, “ sound/ program editing”, “hardware”, “keys”, built quality”, “ functions”, “VH”,” bang for the buck”, etc.We are talking about simple unbusy 4/4 styles. Having simple 8 beat/ 16 beats styles with simple / natural bass lines which is a must for western ( non middle eastern/non Eastern European /Balkan) music player especially your gig depends on arranger function.

SMF’ers, Sequence replayers and , LH bass players who use arranger as drum machine will say they have no issues with Korg.

Edited by jamman (10/11/19 06:18 PM)

#477791 - 10/11/19 02:51 PM Re: Yamaha PSR-SX900 BATTLES Korg PA1000 [Re: Dnj]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By Kabinopus

What I don't get is he never played a SX900?

Not sure he’s been given one to test yet.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#477792 - 10/11/19 02:59 PM Re: Yamaha PSR-SX900 BATTLES Korg PA1000 [Re: Telmo]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
from my perspective, 99-percent of the arranger keyboard players use less than 10-percent of the built-in features of their keyboards. I'm confident that more than 50-percent of the players never take the user manual out of the Zip-Loc bag it came in.

I am constantly amazed at the number of players that play outside their homes say "My keyboard came UPS this morning. I'll test it out tonight on the job and see how my audience likes it." Are you kidding me? There is enough difference in models, changes in OS, new features, etc..., that even the most technical minded players need at least a week of working intensely with a new keyboard in order to master just a smattering of the new things available. I'm not all that smart, so I always gave myself a couple months before taking on stage.

Now, lets talk about sounds. For me, this is the most important aspect of any arranger keyboard. Some sound pretty darned good right out of the box, but not all. Some will need considerable tuning and tweaking before they are ready for an audience. Some, regardless of how much time you spend tuning them, will never sound great. They may sound OK, but never great. This, of course, is subjective.

Good luck on whatever you decide upon,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online