SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#477696 - 10/10/19 03:58 PM PSR-3000.... Revisited...
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
While there’s a lot of heat about SX900 (can I say it in English?.. I don’t say it in Russian…)…

my PSR-S950 is in a service with a broken pitch bend wheel (the better guitars – the more use of this thing)

and although I have now Juno DS I find that it’s not fun to be without an arranger. What’s the use to have such voices like flute of saxophone if you have no styles? These are monophonic instruments, they require backing.

So I appreciate now that I had PSR-3000 fixed earlier (contract strip, of course). Now I’m all for hoarding. Although I had thoughts of selling all (3) my instruments in order to buy a single new one. The idea of inviting people to my house kinda stopped me from that, but, also, I had doubts that it was a good idea at all. And when you face the fact that everything brakes sooner or later and it takes time to get it fixed – your opinion about hoarding changes.

What I like about PSR-3000 comparing it to S950 is that it has aux out (RCA) with level fixed. I can adjust the level of internal speakers and it doesn’t affect this output. It also has a usual output such as on S950. Also, plastic buttons still work like new, while S950 is surely has its problems with rubber ones (I’m also having contacts cleaned again).

Still, S950 is surely offers more when it comes to voices (therefore – styles), and I feel that enough time has passed to expect the same difference between S950 and SX900.

But I remember how after I bought S950 a new S670 appeared and I realized that it might be more suitable for my needs for less money. But it won’t be a first time if Yamaha decides to make its successor less powerful. It’s also a high time for Korg to introduce a replacement for PA300.

Anyway, these are my new videos of PSR-3000:

#477700 - 10/10/19 04:14 PM Re: PSR-3000.... Revisited... [Re: Kabinopus]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Very nice performance videos. Sounds great!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#477702 - 10/10/19 04:22 PM Re: PSR-3000.... Revisited... [Re: Kabinopus]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The PSR-3000 is a real workhorse, served me very well for more than a decade until I upgraded to the S-950. The line out feature is one that should have been kept by Yamaha, but for some reason they eliminated it with the S series.

Great demos, and that sax is just incredible,IMO.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#477719 - 10/10/19 08:10 PM Re: PSR-3000.... Revisited... [Re: travlin'easy]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Thank you for presenting your videos with the 3000. I also have the 3000 as my main keyboard purchased from my good friend Gary Diamond. I know that there are several folks out there that are still using the unit for performance. It sure would be nice to see more videos with the 3000 in the future.

It's interesting that I have been considering a new kb for some time but the longer I go without the more I'm inclined to look for another 3000 for backup and learn everything I can about it.

#477745 - 10/11/19 06:22 AM Re: PSR-3000.... Revisited... [Re: Kabinopus]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Very good thread. The 3000 is a great board and still relevant. Whatever fits your needs and for some that is not necessarily the latest and greatest.

#477747 - 10/11/19 06:51 AM Re: PSR-3000.... Revisited... [Re: Kabinopus]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Again we see how nice it can sound with a great 'Captain aboard' that knows how too press the right buttons and keys.
As some said many times at this site: It's not the keyboard, it's the player. smile
clap
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#477760 - 10/11/19 10:50 AM Re: PSR-3000.... Revisited... [Re: Kabinopus]
Kabinopus Offline

Thank you all for your kind attention!

Since where I live there's not much summer at all, I kinda compensate it with summer music. Here's one more tune, a little inaccurate rendition of Madonna's song:

Sometimes I complain that Yamaha keeps a lot of the same voices on most of their keyboards (like this PanFlute), but in the same time I realise that it's generally hard to find voices that would be so playable, expressive and, well, with a positive attitude, so it makes sence that Yamaha uses them a lot.

#477761 - 10/11/19 11:23 AM Re: PSR-3000.... Revisited... [Re: Kabinopus]
solomon8 Offline

Loc: Lehigh Acres, Fl USA
Great videos. Your music is very engaging. You are very talented.

#477762 - 10/11/19 11:27 AM Re: PSR-3000.... Revisited... [Re: Kabinopus]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Loved it. Very well played.

Bernie

#477765 - 10/11/19 11:56 AM Re: PSR-3000.... Revisited... [Re: Kabinopus]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Nice rendition of "Isla Bonita" Loved the guitar work!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#477799 - 10/11/19 03:39 PM Re: PSR-3000.... Revisited... [Re: Kabinopus]
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
Hello!

I gave my Dad my PSR3000 back when I bought a new Tyros 2. He plays it often and it still plays great. I play it when I visit and am amazed how good it still sounds, especially thru headphones. It has always been a favorite of mine since I crossed the line from much cheaper keyboards to it !! Most of my gig disks that have been shared were made on it. It was so easy for me to change things on the fly as my previous keyboards weren't. Glad to hear it is still a relevant keyboard. -charley

#477806 - 10/11/19 05:09 PM Re: PSR-3000.... Revisited... [Re: Kabinopus]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Nice Bossa rendition. Pressed for time so could not listen to them all. Much talent my Russian friend.

All the best, ----Dave

#477822 - 10/12/19 01:37 AM Re: PSR-3000.... Revisited... [Re: Kabinopus]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
As an aside, I have noticed through the years that new does not always mean better sounding. Yes, features are added but my S910 had a better sound, in many cases, than my S970.

#477830 - 10/12/19 04:34 AM Re: PSR-3000.... Revisited... [Re: Kabinopus]
Kabinopus Offline

Thank you for your replies.

I think a reason why newer is not always better is that we never see people who design a keyboard and make decisions, we just know a name of a brand. But there are actual people and over time some people come in and some go away. So, for example, PSR-S910 can represent initiative of one person, and PSR-S970 represents some disagreement of other one.

While Yamaha’s progress is still rather obvious to me, looking at Casio it seems like they are going up and down. They had something like MZ-2000, then nothing like that. Then they had some luck with WK-3300/3800, but the successors were rather questionable.

Another reason is that we actually don’t expect to pay more for today’s keyboards than we paid for previous ones. I don’t know about other counties, but in Russia prices for food and services tend to go higher and higher, still, for electronics it’s not that obvious. I don’t know a lot about economy, but I expect that Yamaha has to rise payments for its workers as time goes by, and yet it has to sell Genos for the price of Tyros 1-5, yet to make it better. Can it be a reason why they eliminate what they consider “unnecessary”, well, knobs with no marks on Genos speak for themselves.

Apart from this, there’s surely a pressure from society, just as on society. Buying things has become sort of religion, dependency or addiction. We expect it to make use happier. Most obvious it is seen if we look at iPhone industry. I know people here in Russia who don’t really have a stable job or an idea of what they are going to do next, but buying a recent iPhone is a necessity for them. Then they take selfie with it and you know what? It doesn’t look pretty.

I think Yamaha has accepted rules of this game earlier than other manufactures, I’m sure that Yamaha has a rather aggressive team of marketers, and in some way they want to be Coca-Cola or Macdonald’s of a musical world. So it’s no longer like buying a bicycle of a drill in order to use it forever, it’s like renewing you subscription to prolong your happiness, and to do it you have to buy a new keyboard.

Meanwhile, apart from professionals and enthusiasts, for majority of people a musical keyboards is just something that they might use from time to time, not even knowing what model it is and they are unlikely to buy more than two or three during their lifetime.

#477915 - 10/12/19 02:25 PM Re: PSR-3000.... Revisited... [Re: Kabinopus]
Kabinopus Offline

Here's one more summer tune I recorded on this autumn rainy day

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online