SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#476712 - 09/25/19 10:30 AM OT: At a crossroads!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
A large foreign client wants to redo a 300 page perfect bound brag book of custom staircase installations all around the world. The project would be all 8"x10" large, parallax corrected digital format photography (which I LOVE). The problem: I would have to be gone almost three months (about 10 trips back and forth). That means, for the first time in 62 years, I would not have a house job to go to every night. I could keep up a schedule of studio dates, but even that requires travel to multiple states.

Since returning to Kentucky to finish college, I was only out of Lexington twice for any period of time; about a year, in both cases on jobs in the State Capital; about 50 miles away. In both cases, the market had changed considerably and more than a few prospective employers didn't know who I was.

Money-wise, the traveling gig pays 10 times the bread. However, playing in places future clients for my production company frequent is where I got over 1/2 my on-going business. On the other hand, with the foreign client, in this business you're either all in or not. You can't say you're too busy or you'll get to it when you have time.

I'm afraid that if I stop the nightly stuff, I won't go back to it.

The catalog project is next year, so I have a few months to figure it all out. The good thing is, I love high end print production, photography, design and copy as much as music.

Stay tuned...

Russ

#476801 - 09/27/19 01:46 AM Re: OT: At a crossroads! [Re: captain Russ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
So you are working on selling a Stairway To Heaven?

#476812 - 09/27/19 09:44 AM Re: OT: At a crossroads! [Re: captain Russ]
captain Russ Offline

Smartass! (LOL) That's just what I needed to lighten the load.

Thanks,

R.

#476985 - 09/30/19 10:11 PM Re: OT: At a crossroads! [Re: captain Russ]
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Nigel, I would sugge3st he sell it. am not sure that "stairway" has his name on it!! or is where he is going !!!

Ray

luv ya all

#477012 - 10/01/19 09:03 AM Re: OT: At a crossroads! [Re: The Saint]
captain Russ Offline

Damn, Ray. You hit it right on.

Be well,

Russ

#477077 - 10/02/19 08:46 PM Re: OT: At a crossroads! [Re: captain Russ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Us Aussies which Ray and I are have a very dry sense of humour. ( Note I used the Australian spelling of humor laugh2 )

#477536 - 10/09/19 11:06 AM Re: OT: At a crossroads! [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Russ, as I have told you many times, take time to smell the roses before someone is placing them on your casket. Life is damned short - I know this first hand.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online