SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#4795 - 01/04/03 08:14 AM Re: Is a 1999 Mac G3 Powerbook still a reliable computer for sequencing?
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
The Mac G-4 dual 1.25ghz is equal to a PC running at 6.0ghz . As far as I know , I have not seen any PCs running at that speed . Of course , I only pay attention to what PCs are doing only when I have to , so , there may be some .

#4796 - 01/04/03 10:56 PM Re: Is a 1999 Mac G3 Powerbook still a reliable computer for sequencing?
rooks Offline

Loc: Sweden
Since the new MacOS X is based on Unix
( I guess same goes for Linux ),

How does the Unix OS work ????

#4797 - 01/05/03 12:21 AM Re: Is a 1999 Mac G3 Powerbook still a reliable computer for sequencing?
kaboombahchuck Offline

Loc: Arizona USA
I'm totally suprised that this topic has not gone bad....real bad. So while we're having a civalised chat about this, here is some food for thought

Tuesday 10th December 2002
Apple could sell OS X as alternative to Windows
[MacUser] 13:21
Marklar, Apple's project to build a version of Mac OS X for Intel processors, may be of more strategic importance to the company than had previously been thought. Far from being a backup project in case the PowerPC chip falls far behind Intel, it may actually be a product that Apple will ship to current Windows users.

US sources close to the project indicated that the company was actively considering selling Marklar as a retail product, effectively allowing users to replace Windows with OS X. Apple is contemplating the move because it sees an opportunity to win market share from Windows when Microsoft introduces Palladium, a version of its operating system that implements digital rights management. Palladium could prevent users from copying any copyright material, such as music or video, without the explicit permission of the rights owner.

Marklar would have no such limitations built in, allowing Apple to appeal to Windows users frustrated by the restrictions on how they use their computers. Apple has taken the stance that users should be free to use their computers how they wish, and that it is up to copyright holders to encourage people to use them responsibly.

A second scenario in which Apple would release Marklar concerns its relationship with Microsoft. Although relations between the two companies are good, it is understood that if it worsens significantly, Marklar would be released in an effort to hit Microsoft's core operating system business. One source suggested that Marklar's release could be triggered by Microsoft cancelling the Mac version of Office.

However, launching Marklar would present some significant dangers to Apple's business. Users would be free to buy generic PC hardware instead of Macs, potentially hitting Apple's highly profitable hardware business. The company would be taking a gamble on many users continuing to prefer its stylish hardware over that of PCs.

Marklar itself is understood to be at an advanced stage of development, with builds matching those of the PowerPC OS X. Apple's bundled applications, including iTunes and iChat, have versions that run on the product.

However, Marklar requires that OS X-native Carbon and Cocoa applications are recompiled to work on Intel processors, and there is no support for pre-OS X Classic applications.

So, now it seems the plot thickens!

#4798 - 01/05/03 08:30 AM Re: Is a 1999 Mac G3 Powerbook still a reliable computer for sequencing?
800dv Offline

I have a friend who uses Unix and as far as PCs , he swears by it . The MAC OSX is based on Unix but has been improved to the standards that Mac users expect . Of course there is always a little copying going on . Apple got the idea for the GUI from Zerox , and improved it . Bill Gates copied the Mac OS to make windows . I do think it's a great idea that Apple could be in the making for an OS for PCs , for the longest time Apple has been tooooo stingy with there OS . Although , most people fall into the megahertz lie , they think that since the PowerPC chips are rated lower in megahertz that the Macs are slower , which is quite the opposite . The Mac G-4 processor is half the size of the Intel P-4 and the 867 mhz Mac uses only 7 pipeline stages to complete an instruction . The P-4 uses 20 to operate at 1.8ghz . So , even though the Mac is only 867mhz , it's over 50% faster in completing instructions . I do think that Apple and Pentium users could all benefit from Apple making an OS for them . It will be interesting to see how it turns out .

#4799 - 01/05/03 09:35 AM Re: Is a 1999 Mac G3 Powerbook still a reliable computer for sequencing?
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
If OSX on PC hardware could run the latest version of Logic, I'd totally buy it.

#4800 - 01/05/03 11:27 AM Re: Is a 1999 Mac G3 Powerbook still a reliable computer for sequencing?
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
I have more than a sneaky suspicion that Apple Macs will be phased out completely within the next 10 years.

#4801 - 01/05/03 03:22 PM Re: Is a 1999 Mac G3 Powerbook still a reliable computer for sequencing?
tekminus Offline

I will do my best to phase in the C64 again. The old brown one! None of that creamy white crap.

The SID will once again rule the earth.

-tek

#4802 - 01/05/03 05:25 PM Re: Is a 1999 Mac G3 Powerbook still a reliable computer for sequencing?
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Equalizer:
I have more than a sneaky suspicion that Apple Macs will be phased out completely within the next 10 years.

I used to say the same thing. Now I'm undecided. They could really go either way, but releasing a version of Mac's OS for PCs that allows people to use mac only software on PC hardware could be a step in the right direction - or alternately could kill off their hardware development.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with Apple having the most high tech, most expensive hardware, I'm just opposed to there being no alternative to it.

#4803 - 01/05/03 10:52 PM Re: Is a 1999 Mac G3 Powerbook still a reliable computer for sequencing?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Hey Apple Macintosh Oranges & Whoppers side of fries. Whomever they are, where they have been, are now, and the place they are going to.
Foundational proccessing is here to stay

Whether the company flip flops outside in and goes Bk#7 big middle finger OR perhaps they may construct the first Tri-Lithium Crystal processor*. Either way, this technology will always be in use until someone finds a completely different system that is far more advanced, practically free, instantly mastered and forces the other into obselescence - - - did I spell that right?

Tri-Lithium under the current laws of chemistry & physics is like, totally not happening OK. Impossible (per say)

Then again, hitting the California Fantasy5 jackpot, then buying a Super Lotto ticket and winning the Super Lotto as well all in the same day is also impossible. You know what though? somebody didit. yep. You know what those odds are? impossible odds.
23Trillion :1
The winner was quoted saying "Well I guess I'm a bit lucky aren't I?" how stupid can a person be?
Yeah I GUESS duh you are. Just duh A BIT lucky.

#4804 - 01/06/03 10:22 AM Re: Is a 1999 Mac G3 Powerbook still a reliable computer for sequencing?
800dv Offline

Yes Tek ! Long live the C-64 ! ! ! Sid sounds are awesome . Now they make a synthcartridge for the Atari 2600 , I use it on mine . Great sounds , limited ( 128K ) but useful . I agree Cloak , the alternatives should not be done away with . If Apple does do away with the Macintosh , it would be totally voluntary , they make too much money . But , you never can tell if they just might set their sights on running their OS on PCs and nothing else .

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online