SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#4785 - 01/01/03 12:40 PM Re: Is a 1999 Mac G3 Powerbook still a reliable computer for sequencing?
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
Yep , I'm not affraid to admit it . Everybody is a fan of something .

#4786 - 01/01/03 02:19 PM Re: Is a 1999 Mac G3 Powerbook still a reliable computer for sequencing?
Llyren Offline

I sequence on a Pentium I, 75MHz, 16MB RAM, running MS-DOS 6.2, Windows 3.1, and the most recent version of NoteWorthy Composer. It works like a charm. Your PowerBook should be fine...

#4787 - 01/01/03 04:19 PM Re: Is a 1999 Mac G3 Powerbook still a reliable computer for sequencing?
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
Quote:
Originally posted by 800dv:
Yep , I'm not affraid to admit it . Everybody is a fan of something .

I'm not, I hate everything.

#4788 - 01/01/03 07:21 PM Re: Is a 1999 Mac G3 Powerbook still a reliable computer for sequencing?
Jiddu Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:
Not mention the fact that Mac has only one OS as to the Pc's 3 ( all three of which conflict with one another ) . Pc has Bios , DOS , and Windows .

Ive never heard anyone say that in comparing macs with x86.. how much difference does it make? you gotta link or something?

Plus N.T.5+ doesnt have dos right? all 32bit?

open to corrections.. i still use 98.

#4789 - 01/01/03 08:40 PM Re: Is a 1999 Mac G3 Powerbook still a reliable computer for sequencing?
800dv Offline

Hah Cloak , I know you don't hate everything . Jiddu , All Pcs use Bios , DOS , and Windows ( for those who use Windows , there is also Linux for example ) . Since you're running Windows 98 , every point and click is translated to dos commands and executed . Windows is really just a smoke screen for what is really happening for the computer to complete a task . Bios is an operating system in itself , small as it is . You're computer can boot from bios to a " limited " functional ability . The Macintosh has only the GUI operating system , no second and third to conflict . Without the Mac os or an OS cd in the drive , it will not boot at all . Macintosh computers can read PC files , Pcs cannot read Mac files , they have enough trouble reading there own files . There are people who have tinkered and tinkered and tinkered to get there windows machine to function reliably , so it's not impossible , just a complete pain in the ass . Macs are more expensive because they come complete and ready for everything right out of the box . Pcs that you see for $599.99 , remember - you still need a graphics card , sound card , sometimes you need to get an ethernet card , modem card , and that adds to the price . The comparison on Mac processors and PC processors can be found at apple.com and then search for the Megahertz myth . Mac's aren't jumping all over the gigahertz bandwagon because they don't need to yet . A new E-MAC 700mhz ( G-4 ) outperforms any pc running 1.4ghz . The top of the line G-4 dual processor 1.25 ( 2 - 1.25 ghz ) is $5,000 because it is the fastest computer you can buy . Even the cheaper macs L-2 cache operates at full processor speed . Pcs are more common not because they are better ( there not even close ) , Steve Jobs of Mac wanted Mac to be exclusive and didn't license there software to alot of people . Over the past 5 years they now know that it was not a good idea . They are still the only company with over 2 billion dollars in cash , no pc company came close . When the new flat panel Imacs came out , lines formed , waiting lists had to be made . No pc company ever had that . Over 7 million G-3 Imacs were sold .

#4790 - 01/01/03 08:46 PM Re: Is a 1999 Mac G3 Powerbook still a reliable computer for sequencing?
800dv Offline

Nope I don't work for apple either . Ha ! I just had to clear that one up . Although , I wouldn't mind ! So , if anyone from apple reads this - Gimme a job you gypsy dildos ! Yeah , that should work .

#4791 - 01/02/03 08:14 AM Re: Is a 1999 Mac G3 Powerbook still a reliable computer for sequencing?
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
800dv, we're all getting very concerned about you. Seek help.

Even though I'll have to remember "gypsy dildos" for the next time MRT1212 pisses me off.

#4792 - 01/02/03 08:45 AM Re: Is a 1999 Mac G3 Powerbook still a reliable computer for sequencing?
800dv Offline

I thought you might like that one .

#4793 - 01/02/03 02:33 PM Re: Is a 1999 Mac G3 Powerbook still a reliable computer for sequencing?
Anonymous
Unregistered

the following is what happens to your post when you have voice recognition, drink expresso like it was coffee, and just can't shut up.

Take the computer off his hands, spare the landfill, tell him to accept $200 for it because that's it's approximate street, and if it's not, excuse me then lets wait a couple weeks then it will be. Tell him when you're done with it, you'll give it to his kid for nothing (donate)*.

OFF POSTED TOPIC...MAC/PC = APPLE/ORANGE turned to MAC/PC = APPLEORANGE/ORANGE
Cubase runs better in a Mac. Period. Unless they plan on converting the x86 code to machine language, but for the most crucial portions of sequencing's instruction set with a PC, I can't think of any machine assembly runs to bake that cake. It's done on the upper level.
-Tek was right again as he said above, they work differently (Dammit! LOL)
Mac's proccess low level. PC's use high level proccessing. Although "high level" has a nice sounding ring to it, that's about it. Here's what happens:1mac, 1pc. both computers have the same clock, mem, EVERYTHING'S the same ok. By the time the PC now is prepared and knows it's assigned problem which is next, and, yet to be solved, this is about the same time that the mac delivers the solution. Why? The amount of data a mac needs to compile before it proccesses it is way way less than a PC needs to compile to do the same thing. It is more far more timestaking to write low level machine code than it is to slap a few machine subroutines together
to do the same which explains to you why mac software is so much more pricey, on the other hand it also explains why Windows 98SE is king of the blue screen. Mac's don't blue screen, there's no such thing (LOL unless you are running PC card hardware in it)
Hey, Overall, neither is better or worse than the other OK? It depends on the job. A simple cut and paste for a pc used to have it's advantages over a mac. with all the data kept high level, on a pc, it just gets moved, that data used to have to be broken down and built up again on a mac. With the early mac's there was no such thing as a trim (proccessing selected portions of data that is not previously packeted). It was either a haircut or no haircut. These days (G4), macs can proccess just like a PC if need be (but still on a lower level). Right click now too. Not until today have macs become just as productive as PC's. The software however is still not as simple as higher level PC software
BEST TO ALL IN 2003!
MORPH!

*Never ever ever should a computer be chucked in the can (providing it is not terminally ill or missing too much hardware). Give a 4 year old kid an 11MHz 286, and as long as you have something that he can run with it see his eyes light up. Watch, in no time he will be cloning your old Motorola cell phone, and ??? who knows what else NORAD spoofing? LOL As our body's evolve through the generations, so do our minds...we need to feed these kids.

whatever i was gonna edit this but now im not LOL

[This message has been edited by Morphamatik (edited 01-02-2003).]

#4794 - 01/03/03 09:17 PM Re: Is a 1999 Mac G3 Powerbook still a reliable computer for sequencing?
Jiddu Offline

Loc: Australia
Thanks for the informative reply 800dv..

I dont really know much bout OS's.. I have a subject on that this coming semester so it will be good. I have done a fair bit on the DLX ( and a li'l on x86 ) but nothing on macs at all so I cant really say anything about them.

I was just curious as to what you do for a living and where you learnt all you had?

Quote:
The top of the line G-4 dual processor 1.25 ( 2 - 1.25 ghz ) is $5,000 because it is the fastest computer you can buy.

I know you know thats not true.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online