SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#476433 - 09/21/19 02:41 PM need tips on how to best' memorize new tunes
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
At 76, as much as I fight it, I have to admit I'm getting older. In particular I am gradually loosing my eyesight. For years I have used cheat sheets with lyrics and chords on 5 x 8 index cards. I no longer can see them, even with glasses. I'm realizing I need to memorize the tunes I do. Never have done that in the past as the cards allowed me to maintain a huge play list. Now of course that has changed and this old dog is going to have to learn new tricks. Any suggestions on best way to memorize tunes would be most appreciated.

Edited by ekurburski (09/21/19 02:42 PM)

#476435 - 09/21/19 03:09 PM Re: need tips on how to best' memorize new tunes [Re: ekurburski]
Dnj Offline

Repetition = memorize

#476438 - 09/21/19 07:43 PM Re: need tips on how to best' memorize new tunes [Re: Dnj]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
First memorize the chord progressions that are used. Many of the same chord progressions, or parts of the chord progressions, are used in different songs.

The song More uses I VIm IIm V7 -- G Em Am D7 in the beginning of the song. The middle of the song uses a minor chord progression found in many other songs.

Start with songs that use; I IV V chords G C D7, there are thousands of them.

As far as the melody goes, Donny is right, repetition.

Good luck, John C.

#476440 - 09/22/19 01:24 AM Re: need tips on how to best' memorize new tunes [Re: ekurburski]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
From a practical standpoint, you are not going to be able to maintain a large playlist in your head, even though it may be the most desirable solution. In your situation, I would start memorizing, per above, then start scanning the needed information as text or PDF to any number of devices so you can enlarge the type and scroll if need be.

Bernie

#476464 - 09/22/19 09:40 AM Re: need tips on how to best' memorize new tunes [Re: ekurburski]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Yes, definitely learn the formulas, rather than thinking chord by chord.
Melodies you can also think of scale degrees.

Listen, listen and listen again to the originals. Sing and play along.

I like to listen to songs I’m learn when I take my daily walks. Sometimes I’ll listen to the same song for an hour.

I use the the Yamaha Chord Tracker App on my
phone and loop small phrases over and over , sing and play along. Sometimes slow it down.

Try to pre plan your shows and focus your practice time on the tunes you’re most likely to play at your gig.

Yes, it’s a lot of work! But who said it would be easy being a musician?!?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online