SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#476200 - 09/18/19 07:12 AM Ken Burns Country Music Documentary
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Anyone else watching this? I’m enjoying it and learning a lot!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#476203 - 09/18/19 08:00 AM Re: Ken Burns Country Music Documentary [Re: montunoman]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By montunoman
Anyone else watching this? I’m enjoying it and learning a lot!

Good episode last night and tonight should be really good. Without getting into politics (which I hate to do) the first episode was slanted towards Burns' own political beliefs. The same will hold true in the Vietnam episode which will feature Jan Howard prominently because Burns already interviewed her for his previous series on Vietnam. The problem is, there will be other individuals who will be left out or minimized (Glen Campbell for one according to a review I read) in order to feature Howard and the Vietnam angle. I love Jan Howard (who I met) but she's no Glen Campbell.

But I realize that not everyone can be given the time they may deserve in only a 16 hour program that is trying to cover 100 years of country music. Decisions have to be made of course. But, even Bill Malone, who wrote the book that the show is based on, didn't agree with all of Burns' decisions according to an interview I saw. However, I think the overall verdict will be positive. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable on country music and I have learned a few things so far.

#476210 - 09/18/19 10:15 AM Re: Ken Burns Country Music Documentary [Re: montunoman]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
So far, I've enjoyed the series. I did not see the "Western" genre given as much credit as I believe it deserves but there is so much to cover in the history of this major genre... it didn't take Nashville long to drop the name of "Country and Western" to only "Country." LOL!

I agree, Tracy.. and do my best to ignore Burn's political angle. Still worth watching.

----Dave

#476220 - 09/18/19 04:06 PM Re: Ken Burns Country Music Documentary [Re: montunoman]
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
My eyes and ears have been glued to my terrestrial TV the past 3 days! I'm seeing things and hearing things I never heard before. I've always thought I was well versed about country ( and other venues) of music history. There is so much more to see and hear! Looking forward to watching the rest of the series.

I've always liked Ken Burns style of his documentaries and have seen them all. Any documenter must pick and choose what to and what not to include in a presentation. Why wouldn't ones personal views help determine what and how to present something? My views determine what I say to others everyday !!! -charley

#476225 - 09/18/19 07:13 PM Re: Ken Burns Country Music Documentary [Re: montunoman]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Tonight's episode (#4) was the best so far, so I am going to suspend my criticism (for now). 50s and 60s country was what I grew up on and Burns really did an excellent job on this one.

#476232 - 09/19/19 05:15 AM Re: Ken Burns Country Music Documentary [Re: montunoman]
montunoman Offline

I’m glad you’re enjoying the series too. I really didn’t grow up listening to country music at all and developed an interest in it later in life so I’m learning a ton of stuff.

I really haven’t noticed political bias at all, but I’m not into politics either so that went past me. Racial issues have come up, but I don’t see that as political. I hadn’t really ever considered the African-American influence on country music, or was aware of some the racist practices on the Gran Ole Opry in particular. Nor was I was aware that there was a rather large African -American fan base of country music.

#476738 - 09/25/19 07:59 PM Re: Ken Burns Country Music Documentary [Re: montunoman]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

OK, time for my final rant now that the series is over. Major omissions-almost nothing on Glen Campbell as I alluded to before. Yes, I know he is not "strictly country." But he was a major artist and musician. Not even mentioned-Hall of Famer Don Williams who was an amazing singer and songwriter although his co-writing partner Bob McDill did get a little time.

Probably the worst thing for me was the fact that Burns made a big deal out of Kathy Mattea's song "Where have You Been." Good song, but it was built into something it wasn't because she was a consultant on the show and the song is "socially conscious." Still a good series and worth watching. OK, I'm done.

#476743 - 09/25/19 10:18 PM Re: Ken Burns Country Music Documentary [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Originally Posted By W Tracy Parnell
Anyone else watching this? The problem is, there will be other individuals who will be left out or minimized (Glen Campbell for one according to a review I read)

But I realize that not everyone can be given the time they may deserve in only a 16 hour program that is trying to cover 100 years of country music.

They had a decent section for Glen Campbell the other night...5 minutes worth. I didn't think he was minimalized seeing as there is a TON of great Artists...

#476758 - 09/26/19 05:21 AM Re: Ken Burns Country Music Documentary [Re: montunoman]
montunoman Offline

I missed a few parts of the series but did see the segment on Glen Campbell. Yeah, he sure deserves more than 5 minutes, but it’s hard to fit a century’s worth of music into 16 hours. The series didn’t go into the 21 century at all. So much of the more contemporary “country” music just doesn’t sound “country” to my ears. I’m not saying it’s good or bad.... Maybe the music is just naturally progressing or maybe it will go back to its traditional roots?

#476759 - 09/26/19 05:32 AM Re: Ken Burns Country Music Documentary [Re: montunoman]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
It has been a pretty good series... and I missed a couple but recorded them. Glen Campbell was covered but not enough and I agree, Tracy... Don Williams was over-looked (maybe I just missed it) but he was my very favorite "Country" singer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online