SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#476105 - 09/16/19 11:05 AM Re: Question for Piano Players, is 73 keys enough? [Re: Kabinopus]
Crossover Offline

Originally Posted By Kabinopus
Sorry for duplicating the video of me which I had posted in n other thread, but as you can see here in the beginning I play the 76 keys keyboard nearly on its ends, and it doesn’t sound weird, and its not an academic stuff. I think if I felt better about hammer action and didn’t need mobility, 88 keys would be my choice.

Yes, you‘re approaching the limits there, but it‘s no surprise as what you play is comparable to a two-part jazz tune with a walking bass and an improvising e piano. I often played like that in our former band as we didn‘t have a bassist. For some time, I even had a 61-key synth for this kind of playing, which was of course not ideal. But with such a bass, it‘s always possible to jump an octave upwards when you run out of keys.
It‘s always a question of compromise; I wouldn‘t miss the extra keys so much that I‘d accept more hassle to transport it.

#476112 - 09/16/19 03:34 PM Re: Question for Piano Players, is 73 keys enough? [Re: Bill Lewis]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
As others said 73/76 should be good enough except for Classical and even then there are workarounds. I would think a lot about the touch and go for a weighted action for more expressiveness. Just my opinion.
As for shipping I had a Roland FP90 shipped to my house, heavy but no problem the way they pack them.

Thank you Bill, yes I definitely want weighted action. I suppose it’s what one is used to, and I learnt on an acoustic piano.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#476113 - 09/16/19 03:41 PM Re: Question for Piano Players, is 73 keys enough? [Re: Bachus]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By Bachus
For most songs its enough..
For any other songs, its okay when there is an octave +/- buttons on the front panel..

However, make sure its an e-e keybed..

f-f and certainly c-c don’t cut it..

Ok, thank you Bachus I think they are E to E. I’ll double check.

Going to go thru the garage later and try and find some of my old music books. Have a few old Clayderman albums which is what I enjoyed playing. If I can check the range of notes used in the songs , I should be ok. Wish I’d thought of that earlier instead of bothering everyone , but it has been so helpful to get feedback.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#476118 - 09/16/19 04:26 PM Re: Question for Piano Players, is 73 keys enough? [Re: Crossover]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By Crossover
Sorry for duplicating the video of me which I had posted in n other thread, but as you can see here in the beginning I play the 76 keys keyboard nearly on its ends, and it doesn’t sound weird, and its not an academic stuff. I think if I felt better about hammer action and didn’t need mobility, 88 keys would be my choice

Yes, you‘re approaching the limits there, but it‘s no surprise as what you play is comparable to a two-part jazz tune with a walking bass and an improvising e piano. I often played like that in our former band as we didn‘t have a bassist. For some time, I even had a 61-key synth for this kind of playing, which was of course not ideal. But with such a bass, it‘s always possible to jump an octave upwards when you run out of keys.
It‘s always a question of compromise; I wouldn‘t miss the extra keys so much that I‘d accept more hassle to transport it.

Hi ,
I could never play anything as complex as that ( in my dreams , maybe ? . Haha)
You guys are so talented.

Thank you
Best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#476149 - 09/17/19 09:21 AM Re: Question for Piano Players, is 73 keys enough? [Re: rikkisbears]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By rikkisbears

I was thinking of getting one with 88 keys, but is it necessary? 73 keys would be easier to ship, if I decided it wasn’t for me.

I did mainly play arpeggio type songs, so hence my question, would 73 be enough. I know the 61 notes on my keyboard aren’t, and I’m no good at octave swapping to try and make 61 notes work, plus I want weighted keys.
Rikki

Rikki,
The P121 has an octave shift feature that most 88s don't have. (so, you actually get MORE than 88 notes available) I like having mine shifted down an octave, so I can remain seated in the center, but play the lower tones that compliment my vocal range better. If you take it out of the house - the 121 fits width-wise in the back seat of a mid sized car (Ford Fusion, for me). SO much easier to transport this way, and a better fit on stage in almost all setups I encounter.
The 121 has weighted. graded action, but it's ;lighter than some of the big boys. I think it's just about perfect for most players. There are so few times I would ever play the extreme notes on an 88 keybed. I never miss them.

#476153 - 09/17/19 10:00 AM Re: Question for Piano Players, is 73 keys enough? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
P-121 does have an octave shift indeed, but it's not really that easily acceptable, unless, perhaps, you're using an iOS device with it.

I believe P-121 can be an excellent choice for a gigging musician, in case of using it exclusively at home I'd have second thoughts. I know that playing 76 keys in a lot of cases I'm not able to play a final arpeggio in the end of a song without using an octave shift.

Attachments
IMG_5177.jpg

#476154 - 09/17/19 10:02 AM Re: Question for Piano Players, is 73 keys enough? [Re: rikkisbears]
Uncle Dave Offline

It's a simple button push., as your diagram shows. No ios Device required.

#476155 - 09/17/19 10:03 AM Re: Question for Piano Players, is 73 keys enough? [Re: Kabinopus]
Uncle Dave Offline

I know that playing 76 keys in a lot of cases I'm not able to play a final arpeggio in the end of a song without using an octave shift.

Yup - there's a trade-off. For me, the smaller footprint, and octave shift is far more important, since I'm not a classically trained player. I'm a chord banger.

#476162 - 09/17/19 01:44 PM Re: Question for Piano Players, is 73 keys enough? [Re: Uncle Dave]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave

Rikki,
The P121 has an octave shift feature that most 88s don't have. (so, you actually get MORE than 88 notes available) I like having mine shifted down an octave, so I can remain seated in the center, but play the lower tones that compliment my vocal range better. If you take it out of the house - the 121 fits width-wise in the back seat of a mid sized car (Ford Fusion, for me). SO much easier to transport this way, and a better fit on stage in almost all setups I encounter.
The 121 has weighted. graded action, but it's ;lighter than some of the big boys. I think it's just about perfect for most players. There are so few times I would ever play the extreme notes on an 88 keybed. I never miss them.

Thank you Dave,
That does sound like an option ,just set it an octave down, should I happen to find a tune that needs that lower note. Probably not likely. Mine won’t be leaving the house, but still handy to have something I can move around myself.
So keys are still weighted, but not as heavily as some, but still gives a piano feel?

Thank you Dave

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#476163 - 09/17/19 02:00 PM Re: Question for Piano Players, is 73 keys enough? [Re: rikkisbears]
Uncle Dave Offline

Yes, Rikki - feels vey much like a piano, with heavier touch at the bottom, lighter at the top. Very comfy for me.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online