SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#475522 - 09/05/19 07:36 AM For what reason would someone buy a G70 Today?
Dnj Offline

For what reason would someone buy a G70 Today (for home use)?
That is a question I would like to hear opinions on it Pros or Cons?
Is it worth it to go back 13 years to an older unit?

Edited by Dnj (09/05/19 07:44 AM)

#475523 - 09/05/19 07:42 AM Re: For what reason would someone buy a G70 Today? [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Maybe for sounds and features not on other keyboards in its price range?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#475524 - 09/05/19 07:48 AM Re: For what reason would someone buy a G70 Today? [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Chance to get a still great sounding TOTL keyboard with spending mega bucks. Never had one to compare but what would you really miss by having one ?

#475529 - 09/05/19 08:55 AM Re: For what reason would someone buy a G70 Today? [Re: Dnj]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
I agree that there are some subtle considerations...
For me personally it came down to bulk. I don't play piano, so I can get by without the G-70's top-quality 76 keybed. Also I'm not a big guy, and and I just didn't want to wrestle with a 45-lb. arranger.

According to Diki (remember him?) the BK-9 has better mastering tools, and of course the chord sequencer. I have other instruments with the ability to create and store a chord progression, and I seldom use it. It seems like the start of a slippery slope toward playing over recorded music, which so far hasn't been part of my approach to the hobby.

The BKs and EA-7 allow styles with multiple drum tracks. A style like this won't play on the 'G' (although the styles on the G-70, and even older Rolands sounded pretty good, so the improvements are incremental.)

My last area of concern is parts/repair. If you pay a low enough price, I guess that mitigates the risk of failure. But if you buy one and really like it, you had better buy a second one for backup. Because if something goes wrong you may find yourself looking for another board!

#475539 - 09/05/19 01:13 PM Re: For what reason would someone buy a G70 Today? [Re: TedS]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
G70

Best keys of any non weighted keybed.
76 keys with 3 zones.
Aftertouch.
6 fills.
I just recently found , using the MBS with a lower sound,(in split mode) enables a semi auto bass, and it
is mono..works surprisingly well.

You can assign many controllers to parameters that make style play a breeze..
Aftertouch, assign buttons, D-Beam, foot switch, and FC-7 pedals.
Also you have Dynamic arranger, and a sound design that smoothly changes
chord changes.

Covers helps you change both styles and SMF's. Great template to give your
style a different feel..

The best style/and SMF editor anywhere in Makeup tools.

Great touchscreen, that shows content without annoying pop ups.

6 realtime sounds,

Great user program system, and no you are not limited to 144..Unlimited .

The playlists works great .

The harmonizer is underated.. my opinion it is the best.

Singer key, you can save key range of 4 singers to perfectly put SMF in proper key
for singer.
Automatically reads chords in SMF, without embedding.

Separate outputs.

Separate output for mic.

audio input with effects.
Guitar mode.

16 track sequencer..

Midi capture sequencer..

Lyrics and scores with zoom, can edit or add lyrics to any SMF.

Custom locations for styles , 10 locations in each style group.
Plus you can select from the same screen any style in your memory card.

Much more.....

#475542 - 09/05/19 01:56 PM Re: For what reason would someone buy a G70 Today? [Re: Fran Carango]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Fran, it certainly sounds like the board has a LOT going for it ...
Seriously, do you see any negatives with it?

#475545 - 09/05/19 02:21 PM Re: For what reason would someone buy a G70 Today? [Re: tony mads usa]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Fran, it certainly sounds like the board has a LOT going for it ...
Seriously, do you see any negatives with it?

Tony, for the things it does... no negatives.. It would be nice to have a media player for MP3 and Wave, also to record audio..

But with my cell phone connected to the audio inputs... I have that covered too.. wink

I would have liked the option of adding more then just a single expansion board.
4 slots would have been great.. smile

If someone was serious about having a great keyboard that holds it own , even today...Willing to learn how to use … Cass offering his for $800 is a good move.. I do not see a need for a G70 backup to a G70..
I have had mine for 13 years. .. and not a single problem (knock on wood.... where is that wooden B3 grin )

Edited by Fran Carango (09/07/19 07:34 AM)

#475549 - 09/05/19 03:06 PM Re: For what reason would someone buy a G70 Today? [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Singer key festure ? Somethin I never heardo and it sounds like a great tool. If only it wasn't so heavy it would be a great deal to get a used one.
Why didn't it sell better ? Weight? Waht was the original price ?

#475569 - 09/05/19 08:03 PM Re: For what reason would someone buy a G70 Today? [Re: TedS]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By TedS
I agree that there are some subtle considerations...
For me personally it came down to bulk. I don't play piano, so I can get by without the G-70's top-quality 76 keybed. Also I'm not a big guy, and and I just didn't want to wrestle with a 45-lb. arranger.

According to Diki (remember him?) the BK-9 has better mastering tools, and of course the chord sequencer. I have other instruments with the ability to create and store a chord progression, and I seldom use it. It seems like the start of a slippery slope toward playing over recorded music, which so far hasn't been part of my approach to the hobby.

The BKs and EA-7 allow styles with multiple drum tracks. A style like this won't play on the 'G' (although the styles on the G-70, and even older Rolands sounded pretty good, so the improvements are incremental.)

My last area of concern is parts/repair. If you pay a low enough price, I guess that mitigates the risk of failure. But if you buy one and really like it, you had better buy a second one for backup. Because if something goes wrong you may find yourself looking for another board!

Ted, a difference of opinion about comparing the BK9 /EA7 to the G70..

Yes you can take an acc style part and assign a drum kit in style composer. You cannot do this in style composer on the G70, but there is a better and a finished product way of doing this..

If you want to record your style using the added drum track, and save as a song .. This is easily done with the G70.

You can midi capture your song by playing in arranger mode.. Open your 16 track sequencer. Select the track /channel you want to record drums, and sequence the data..

If you want to use a factory style that uses a 2nd drum track

The G70 will load it and play it(with a tone instead of a drum..) Simply open the 16 track sequencer and change the instrument to a drum kit that matches your style. It will play the style as a son g format the same as the EA-7..

BTW: I have never came across a style that used 2 drum tracks worth using.

Secondly the EA-7 could not do any of the above that the G70 does..
It has no MIDI capture or a 16 track sequencer.

Your BK9 can , it has both..

As for the mastering tools, I don't know of any difference.. The G70 allows you to bring parts out of a separate out and run into the audio input, then you can add additional effects before mastering..

You cannot do this with the BK9 or EA7..

Just wanted to show it with a better understanding..

Edited by Fran Carango (09/05/19 08:07 PM)

#475668 - 09/07/19 06:56 AM Re: For what reason would someone buy a G70 Today? [Re: Dnj]
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
It's at a price I can finally afford to pay. It took me a year just to pay off my
Pa600 and psr e463. For what I paid for these I could have bought the g70. But I'm happy and grateful for what I have. Do miss my b3 .
Typical poor musician .

#475671 - 09/07/19 07:39 AM Re: For what reason would someone buy a G70 Today? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

My post are using the comparison to show why the G70 has value today. All 3 of these keyboards are my current favorites.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online