SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#475596 - 09/06/19 08:05 AM Re: Roland back in the high end market [Re: Crossover]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Crossover
I am surprised Roland is finally ready to introduce such a premium market workstation again, 11 years after the Fantom G. I‘m happy for Roland that the company hasn‘t abandoned its former, how shall I put it, aspiration, or reputation.
My main question however concerns the acoustic /orchestral sounds:
Have they invested in new sampling sessions? Or are they once again repackaging the existing tones? What about using libraries within the instrument? The overview I watched sounds more like they are suggesting to use libraries on the laptop and just having them controlled from the Fantom...

There is a whole new sound engine, Zen-core, it has PCM and Virtuall analogue.. there is also V-piano... no ACB technollogy.. no Super natural.. seems its mostly synth orientated.. not even a drawbar organ.. just some sampled organs..

Right now they stepped in another direction them most arranger players like... more towards synths... less towards emulating different instruments on a workstation..

But they prommised expansions to sound engine and all the other parts in the near future, i expect they will keep patching this till its a true beast.. maybe someone can convince Roland to add some arranger features to it?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#475598 - 09/06/19 08:06 AM Re: Roland back in the high end market [Re: Robbo]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Robbo
High end yes indeed. Prices that i’m Assuming would make the 6 close to or over $4k Australian like where they are going but I do feel that pricing is placing it out of reach for most home small gig users

Simmilar prices to kronos and montage at release, so no surprise there..
Altough many current Roland FA players find this to expensive..

Anyway, the Genos was/is more expensive

http://keyszone.boards.net

#475618 - 09/06/19 10:38 AM Re: Roland back in the high end market [Re: Bachus]
solomon8 Offline

Loc: Lehigh Acres, Fl USA
A dealer got this information for me from Roland:

The piano engine is pretty much infinite polyphony and the synth engine has 256 voice polyphony.

#475628 - 09/06/19 12:35 PM Re: Roland back in the high end market [Re: Bachus]
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
61 key model will be $3,299. In regards to the drawbar organ, I’m fairly certain one vid made reference to the sliders doubling as virtual drawbars. Roland is clearly aiming this model to compete with the Montage and Kronos. I’d be very surprised if the bread and butter sounds weren’t good. Roland clearly knows how to produce quality traditional sounds. It seems that Roland is doing what Yammie did with the Montage vids, and that’s showcasing the synth capabilities. The Montage was all about that pulsating doorknob upon release focusing on the synth engine, but we later found the traditional sounds were also quite good. It’s probably going to be the same with the Fantom. Kudos to Roland for including pitch mod wheels and a joystick.

Sqk
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#475637 - 09/06/19 01:42 PM Re: Roland back in the high end market [Re: squeak_D]
Crossover Offline

Originally Posted By squeak_D
61 key model will be $3,299. In regards to the drawbar organ, I’m fairly certain one vid made reference to the sliders doubling as virtual drawbars. Roland is clearly aiming this model to compete with the Montage and Kronos. I’d be very surprised if the bread and butter sounds weren’t good. Roland clearly knows how to produce quality traditional sounds. It seems that Roland is doing what Yammie did with the Montage vids, and that’s showcasing the synth capabilities. The Montage was all about that pulsating doorknob upon release focusing on the synth engine, but we later found the traditional sounds were also quite good. It’s probably going to be the same with the Fantom. Kudos to Roland for including pitch mod wheels and a joystick.

Sqk

I had a different impression: When the Montage was presented, acoustic sounds like the Seattle Strings and other orchestral sounds were highlighted as well. Dom Sigalas had some nice demos about those. I'm skeptical with the Fantom so far...

#475640 - 09/06/19 02:11 PM Re: Roland back in the high end market [Re: Bachus]
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Dan Fisher did a vid at Sweetwater, and he showed a few acoustic sounds. I thought the few he played sounded good.

Sqk
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#475688 - 09/07/19 12:09 PM Re: Roland back in the high end market [Re: Bachus]
Crossover Offline

According to another forum, this is the origin of most Fantom sounds:
-Bank B contains the first 459 patches from the AX-Edge Keytar
-Bank C is the 128 patches from the Integra-7 Synth Legends expansion.
-Bank D contains the 1109 SuperNatural Synth Tones from the Integra-7 / FA synths
-Bank E contains the 896 patches from in the XV-5080.

I can confirm that the tone names in Bank E indeed match the XV-5080 sound list.

The AX Edge Keytar was introduced in 2018; obviously it has quite a number of newly sampled acoustic sounds such as trumpet, trombone and saxophones, also some strings.
(Note that "supernatural Synth" does not involve the SuperNatural Acoustic sounds - those are definitely not part of the Fantom.)

Edited by Crossover (09/07/19 12:10 PM)

#475692 - 09/07/19 01:39 PM Re: Roland back in the high end market [Re: Crossover]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I think I read somewhere that Roland was going to use Roland cloud in their keyboard designs.. Maybe the Fantom has this feature now, using the Roland cloud library as vst's.

A lot of the new concepts remind me of my MediaStation days smile

#475693 - 09/07/19 03:05 PM Re: Roland back in the high end market [Re: Bachus]
mweuch Offline

So is this machine a workstation or an arranger?

#475697 - 09/07/19 04:03 PM Re: Roland back in the high end market [Re: mweuch]
W Tracy Parnell Online   content

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By mweuch
So is this machine a workstation or an arranger?

Workstation.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online