SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#475350 - 09/03/19 12:35 PM Why don't you sing when you play?
Dnj Offline

Why don't you sing when you play as a one man act?
I have heard every silly excuse why players don't sing or have convinced themselves they can't,....
or think its too difficult to sing and play at the same time?..
would love to hear the actual reasons... confused1 keys

Edited by Dnj (09/03/19 01:40 PM)

#475351 - 09/03/19 01:27 PM Re: Why don't you sing when you play? [Re: Dnj]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
I sing but when I started customers suggested I stop. Not everyone can sing. I'll go even further and state there are some folks here who believe they are great singers who really shouldn't embarrass themselves. At the least they need to work on getting a good pa and a good mike. Using inferior equipment for vocals is a huge problem with the bulk of local entertainers.

#475352 - 09/03/19 01:38 PM Re: Why don't you sing when you play? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I can answer that with ease smile

Exceptional players have no need to sing, their skill shines through their play..

Secondly, when you are a great player, there is more involved then playing 2-5 chords, or following tracks.

They have mastered their skills..

I believe I have only really known one great player that sang .. He was also an average singer.. (Brent).

I do know many "singers" in the next group that play to back themselves... I don't believe many if any are great players..

Personally I rather listen to a great instrumentalist ( and appreciate the skill level, then a "pop" type singer. The exception would be throwback to old groups that I grew up with) grin

#475353 - 09/03/19 01:42 PM Re: Why don't you sing when you play? [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
I can answer that with ease smile

Exceptional players have no need to sing, their skill shines through their play..

Secondly, when you are a great player, there is more involved then playing 2-5 chords, or following tracks.

They have mastered their skills..

I believe I have only really known one great player that sang .. He was also an average singer.. (Brent).

I do know many "singers" in the next group that play to back themselves... I don't believe many if any are great players..

Personally I rather listen to a great instrumentalist ( and appreciate the skill level, then a "pop" type singer. The exception would be throwback to old groups that I grew up with) grin

Great excuse Fran...haven't heard that one yet.. confused1

#475354 - 09/03/19 02:57 PM Re: Why don't you sing when you play? [Re: Dnj]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
We are not all wired the same way. I would have become an excellent guitar player, but I loved singing more. If I played a guitar solo like misty with the band, no matter how good it was, they appreciated a vocal more. The majority of people out there do not understand an instrumental solo. Not talking rock here.

It was needed in my band, so I sang. There are those who met the need and should not sing. And there are those on the fence, they have doubts. The good part is that we can all do what we want, regardless.

John C.

PS, when I married, my wife asked me if she could sing on the job with me --- I turned on the keyboard, handed her the mic, and she sang. I gently took the mic out of her hand and asked her to promise not to touch the mic again. I love my wife, she is a winner, but she can not sing.

#475355 - 09/03/19 02:59 PM Re: Why don't you sing when you play? [Re: Dnj]
solomon8 Offline

Loc: Lehigh Acres, Fl USA
Believe me I can't sing. Helen Keller asked me to stop singing.

#475357 - 09/03/19 03:45 PM Re: Why don't you sing when you play? [Re: Dnj]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Pretty simple, I tell folks I don't sing cause I don't want them to leave!

Deane

#475359 - 09/03/19 03:59 PM Re: Why don't you sing when you play? [Re: hammer]
Dnj Offline

All these excuses I have heard before many times.
Why not practice and work out some songs to sing so that it gives your act variety....even a few songs makes it more entertaining.
I've also noticed non singers don't even talk to the audience either....really? I don't get it.

#475360 - 09/03/19 04:01 PM Re: Why don't you sing when you play? [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I took up singing pretty late in life. I wish I had started when I was a kid but I just never had the inclination. I just thought of myself as a musician and focused on my playing skills. After years of working with many not so great singers and often times training them, I thought, “ I can do this too”
To my surprise I got way more positive comments from audience members on my vocals then I ever did on my playing, which I’ve worked so hard on. I started singing more out of necessity and now I actually enjoy singing. I say if I can do it YOU can do it too if you want to.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#475364 - 09/03/19 05:35 PM Re: Why don't you sing when you play? [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
If we're referring to preforming outside of your home singing is a must. Haven't seen an act yet and I've seen alot that doesn't have vocals and thats whats fearured. Many mediocore,guitar players here but no one cares if the vocals are good. Even at the more pro level its all about singers.
As far as " I can't " yes you can it may just take more work than someone else. I sang all the way up thru college but never as a soloist. Found a great teacher who used to sing at the Met. She helped me "find my voice" and in time I was preforming out at gigs I,m not great, but have been told I have a good voice. I taught music in schools and worked with a lot of kids who said "I can't" So do it , find a teacher or youtube some lessons and take some time to work on it every day. It willl happen.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online