SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#475376 - 09/03/19 07:41 PM Re: Are you addicted to style playing? [Re: rikkisbears]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By rikkisbears
Hi Donny,, it is, I use it for so many slow standards. Reason I was asking was I converted it to my PA4X, and wondered if it might be of use to anyone else.

Yes, I would like it!

#475387 - 09/04/19 01:42 AM Re: Are you addicted to style playing? [Re: DonM]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
Playing styles is not necessarily about an addiction. Although it’s can be different now, but it used to be that a lot of arranger keyboards didn’t have sophisticated enough piano and electric piano voices, which would sound persuasive without backing. As for other voices, like saxophones, flutes, or even electric guitars, they are usually monophonic, and require backing as well. And if your are a singer, either all your backing is (e)piano based, or you use styles, pre-recorded tracks or a real band.

I guess, just in scenarios like when you have to make a soundtrack for a movie or video, which usually isn’t based on rhythm, or your are a band-type person or a member of a orchestra; or you work in a classical genre —in these cases you won’t find much room for an arranger keyboard.

Originally Posted By DonM
My last set of organ pedals and bench weighed more than my keyboard, stand, stool AND PA system I use now! And that doesn't include the massive organ and Leslie and heavy PA I used back then.
I remember making a road trip to south Louisiana and barely having room for a suitcase after loading all my gear into my full-size 76 Chevy van.
As I recall, that $20,000 organ had maybe a dozen styles.

Wow, that’s impressive! I’d better not be complaining in your presence about lugging my “overpriced” and “overweight” PSR-S950 into my Hyundai Getz, which is the largest car I’ve owned (well, it’s larger than my friend’s Kia Picanto).

#475432 - 09/04/19 09:04 AM Re: Are you addicted to style playing? [Re: Kabinopus]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By Kabinopus
Playing styles is not necessarily about an addiction. Although it’s can be different now, but it used to be that a lot of arranger keyboards didn’t have sophisticated enough piano and electric piano voices, which would sound persuasive without backing. As for other voices, like saxophones, flutes, or even electric guitars, they are usually monophonic, and require backing as well. And if your are a singer, either all your backing is (e)piano based, or you use styles, pre-recorded tracks or a real band.

I guess, just in scenarios like when you have to make a soundtrack for a movie or video, which usually isn’t based on rhythm, or your are a band-type person or a member of a orchestra; or you work in a classical genre —in these cases you won’t find much room for an arranger keyboard.

Originally Posted By DonM
My last set of organ pedals and bench weighed more than my keyboard, stand, stool AND PA system I use now! And that doesn't include the massive organ and Leslie and heavy PA I used back then.
I remember making a road trip to south Louisiana and barely having room for a suitcase after loading all my gear into my full-size 76 Chevy van.
As I recall, that $20,000 organ had maybe a dozen styles.

Wow, that’s impressive! I’d better not be complaining in your presence about lugging my “overpriced” and “overweight” PSR-S950 into my Hyundai Getz, which is the largest car I’ve owned (well, it’s larger than my friend’s Kia Picanto).

I've been meaning to say something like that. Addiction is the wrong word. Preference is better!
And, I'm so glad that great gear has gotten not only better but lighter, more reliable and relatively less expensive.

#475439 - 09/04/19 10:22 AM Re: Are you addicted to style playing? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
Hi Donny , just noticed you said West End, mines the Broadway Ballad, similar, different piano tracks,might give that one a go too, found it in my psr user collection.

Either way I’ll upload my current one, and do the west end.

Thanx Rikki.... I love playing The Wind Beneath My Wings using the West End Ballad..

Now that you have a Korg again... use the "wind bt" from the PA1x

#486881 - 01/15/20 07:39 AM Re: Are you addicted to style playing? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

I am now searching thru all my Roland styles, etc, to find a suitable version just like Yamaha's "West End Ballad"...
it's in there "Somewhere" so I'll keep auditioning until
I find what I am looking for.....

#486890 - 01/15/20 08:37 AM Re: Are you addicted to style playing? [Re: Dnj]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Bill, the Sx900 can mute easily.

What about addicted to style collecting ? Wow, let’s not go there.

This was all SO simple years ago with my technics Kn6000 and its Panel Memory (registrations)
Tony, now you are talking about the Sx900, and ie dows it better.
Hi John,

You play show songs? Did you ever use the Broadway Ballad on the Psr
Rikki, yes, I lve it.

Playing styles is not necessarily about an addiction.
How true, how true.
Don, you are 100% on the ball, nice.

Not for everyone, just my thought:
1-Everytime I play with a Midi file it plays the same song the same way, no room for me.

2-No back tracks, but I like the Chord Looper, I am still in control, ready to express me.

3-I use original recordings for song that my keyboard and I can not do well. Cotton-eyed Joe, Trouble, Hot Hot Hot ---------

I want as much freedom as I can get without losing the overall thought.

John C.

#486891 - 01/15/20 08:48 AM Re: Are you addicted to style playing? [Re: bruno123]
Dnj Offline

1-Everytime I play with a Midi file it plays the same song the same way, no room for me.

why not mute some smf parts and play on top

2-No back tracks, create your own backing tracks leave out your part to play on top..
but I like the Chord Looper, I am still in control,ready to express me.
only to a point as you a slave to the looper just like a smf..

3-I use original recordings for song that my keyboard and I can not do well. Cotton-eyed Joe, Trouble, Hot Hot Hot ---------
Playing at home now you probably wont need those songs.....
but on a gig as a DJ you would.

I want as much freedom as I can get without losing the overall thought.
John anytime YOU produce music in ANY WAY you are in control of it...

John C.

Edited by Dnj (01/15/20 09:01 AM)

#486913 - 01/15/20 01:35 PM Re: Are you addicted to style playing? [Re: Dnj]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By Dnj
I am now searching thru all my Roland styles, etc, to find a suitable version just like Yamaha's "West End Ballad"...

Hi Donny,
does one exist , if not , maybe someone could convert it for you.

Such a wonderful type of style. Broadway Ballad I use for numerous tunes.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#486935 - 01/16/20 02:05 AM Re: Are you addicted to style playing? [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Even though it isn't always successful,I have converted quite a few MIDI's to styles on my Pa4X for specific songs to get more control.

#486944 - 01/16/20 05:26 AM Re: Are you addicted to style playing? [Re: rikkisbears]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

Hi Donny,
does one exist , if not , maybe someone could convert it for you.

Such a wonderful type of style. Broadway Ballad I use for numerous tunes.

I am still searching my Roland style banks and others....
I will also try a conversion if needed or create my own....

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online