SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#475235 - 09/01/19 04:32 PM Does anyone USE 76 keys when playing arranger?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've been watching various YouTube videos, including PA4X76, Ketrons and Genos.
Not once have I seen anyone use the lowest keys and very seldom the highest keys in arranger mode. I can see where it would allow an extra split, but other than that that I question why you would need the extra keys, particularly the lower ones, in ARRANGER mode.
I have had a few 76s and I know I didn't use the lowest keys.
Just idle musings . . .

#475236 - 09/01/19 04:36 PM Re: Does anyone USE 76 keys when playing arranger? [Re: DonM]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
As a pianist I like the luxury of having 76 keys on the Pa4x for my style of playing and for the times I throw in a few piano solos it works for me. I’m very comfortable with having the extra real estate, but if I don’t it’s not a deal breaker for playing in arranger mode.

#475237 - 09/01/19 04:38 PM Re: Does anyone USE 76 keys when playing arranger? [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Ditto Don,.... personally I dislike 76 keys on an arranger...
but I can see piano style full keyboard mode players would like it.
I have had both just my opinion. Just stick to what your using
no need for more real estate.

#475241 - 09/01/19 06:38 PM Re: Does anyone USE 76 keys when playing arranger? [Re: DonM]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Interesting question, Don:

I am not a pianist or musician. For my needs, I could get by with even fewer keys on the 970 you sold me. I can fully understand how a real pianist would want a full 88 keys (or even settle for 76) but I prefer better sounding styles, intros, middle breaks, outros and multi-pads to enhance the songs I write. As I've said many times before... Arrangers are the best kept secret that most songwriters never hear about.

Have a great weekend, Pal!

#475243 - 09/01/19 06:47 PM Re: Does anyone USE 76 keys when playing arranger? [Re: DonM]
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I prefer 76 on playing a keyboard/piano AND Arranger.....

61 is too limiting for me & 88 is to mych....76 is just right

#475244 - 09/01/19 07:17 PM Re: Does anyone USE 76 keys when playing arranger? [Re: DonM]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By DonM
Not once have I seen anyone use the lowest keys and very seldom the highest keys in arranger mode. I can see where it would allow an extra split, but other than that that I question why you would need the extra keys, particularly the lower ones, in ARRANGER mode.
Just idle musings . . .

Don 76 keys is nearly a must for me.
For starters if you play manual bass (and I do).. low E matches a4 string bass.
If you play full piano mode (and I do) 76 keys is a must (Octave switching on a 49 or 61 keyboard is just dumb. grin

If you like to have sounds zoned on the keys , 76 keys is a must(G70 will zone 3).

Sure you can get by with 61 keys as an arranger (I do with the E-A7), but... why would I want to. smile

49 keys would be a total nightmare as Donny will find out (as an arranger keyboard).

#475248 - 09/01/19 08:16 PM Re: Does anyone USE 76 keys when playing arranger? [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
Just idle musings . . .

49 keys would be a total nightmare as Donny will find out (as an arranger keyboard).

That's if I still have it thru the weekend..
Just sayin'

#475249 - 09/01/19 08:35 PM Re: Does anyone USE 76 keys when playing arranger? [Re: DonM]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
I think for full pianist mode the 76 keys would be great. Guessing a lot of people don’t play in pianist mode.

61 keys for arranger mode if one plays full chords i tend to think is a is a must.

Tried the pa800 with its broken f1 key, would have thought I’d easily be able to play it considering the key is so low down. Wrong, without trying to relearn some of the chord inversions I use, I kept hitting it.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#475250 - 09/01/19 08:54 PM Re: Does anyone USE 76 keys when playing arranger? [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Very interesting. I seldom play left hand bass, actually almost never. The only time I really use 76 is on one song, Color My World, when I need notes above my normal split to make the chords easily.
I don't use Pianist mode; I just grab chords and play. I find it easier to push a button than to have extra zones for lead.

#475252 - 09/01/19 09:26 PM Re: Does anyone USE 76 keys when playing arranger? [Re: DonM]
Bachus Offline

Just idle musings . . .

Good question..

Most of the time i play left hand and right hand and then i barely use them

However when you play piano style, the 76 keys are a must..
Also when i use the R3 as upper voice..
Or when i have sepperate zones for left hand and chird recognition

I guess for most players that use only left and single right part, that 61 key is okay.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#475255 - 09/02/19 12:50 AM Re: Does anyone USE 76 keys when playing arranger? [Re: DonM]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
It's strange, I remember when Yamaha only made a 61 note TOTL a lot of posters complained about them for not making a 76 Note version, now many of these posters are saying why do you need 76 Notes, there is just no pleasing some. frown

Bill

#475256 - 09/02/19 12:59 AM Re: Does anyone USE 76 keys when playing arranger? [Re: DonM]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
Unlike me, Don, you have an extra option to your keyboard – your voice. I’m not a singer like you, so I substitute my vocal with a piano voice, playing popular songs like Richard Clayderman does. Fortunately, the audience gets it too. But with 61 keys I tend to run out of keys quite often, have to switch octaves or play it lower. Just recently I discover some solution – to use full keyboard chord recognition. Takes some effort, but gives me an extra keys for playing what I need to play.

For a solo piano playing I’m thinking of getting a 76 keys not arranger keyboard: there are Roland Juno for $860, MODX for $1650. As for 76-keys arrangers, they are much more of a financial challenge: Pa4x $3360; Genos $4950. These are the prices here. Somehow not-arranger market is more flexible in this aspect.

#475260 - 09/02/19 02:13 AM Re: Does anyone USE 76 keys when playing arranger? [Re: DonM]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
The only reason I use 76ers is because I play an octave higher on the keyboard and lower the sound an octave. I could technically use a 61 as is, but is more comfortable for me my way.

#475262 - 09/02/19 02:57 AM Re: Does anyone USE 76 keys when playing arranger? [Re: Kabinopus]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By Kabinopus
Unlike me, Don, you have an extra option to your keyboard – your voice. I’m not a singer like you, so I substitute my vocal with a piano voice, playing popular songs like Richard Clayderman does.

Great to find someone who also enjoys Clayderman’s style of music, I was a big fan.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#475277 - 09/02/19 07:52 AM Re: Does anyone USE 76 keys when playing arranger? [Re: DonM]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Yes, for Piano Style its necessary. Nice to have the flexibility to change my playing. And I think it just looks better, more professional, but thats just me.

#475282 - 09/02/19 08:53 AM Re: Does anyone USE 76 keys when playing arranger? [Re: abacus]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By abacus
It's strange, I remember when Yamaha only made a 61 note TOTL a lot of posters complained about them for not making a 76 Note version, now many of these posters are saying why do you need 76 Notes, there is just no pleasing some. frown

Bill

Its a personal thing Bill, i was one of the advocates of a 76key (and 88 key ) arranger...and still am, that because as said i temd to use more then just left right parts and OTS..

I guess there have allways been 2 camps.. and most people based on their needs are still in the same camp

http://keyszone.boards.net

#475286 - 09/02/19 09:43 AM Re: Does anyone USE 76 keys when playing arranger? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
Yes, for Piano Style its necessary. Nice to have the flexibility to change my playing. And I think it just looks better, more professional, but thats just me.

+1.... And now I am heading out the door to play a senior "gig" with a 61 key.... grin

Edited by Fran Carango (09/02/19 09:44 AM)

#475304 - 09/02/19 01:20 PM Re: Does anyone USE 76 keys when playing arranger? [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis

+1.... And now I am heading out the door to play a senior "gig" with a 61 key.... grin

Dang it!!! The E-A7 (61 keys) was perfect for the senior jobs.. Worked flawlessly, mic sounds good , and great on board speakers for monitors.. I carry the Marantz, but used it just to support the on board speakers.. they are that good in these settings.

And single button transpose.. grin

Edited by Fran Carango (09/02/19 01:21 PM)

#475307 - 09/02/19 01:42 PM Re: Does anyone USE 76 keys when playing arranger? [Re: Fran Carango]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY

Dang it!!! The E-A7 (61 keys) was perfect for the senior jobs.. Worked flawlessly, mic sounds good , and great on board speakers for monitors.. I carry the Marantz, but used it just to support the on board speakers.. they are that good in these settings.

And single button transpose.. grin

First thing I noticed when I got the PA900 was that the mic pre didn't sound as good as the E-A7 to my ears.

#475309 - 09/02/19 02:44 PM Re: Does anyone USE 76 keys when playing arranger? [Re: DonM]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Maybe 76 or 88 isn't necessary for most OMB type players, especially that sing , but I think it's a great option for those players that want to go back a forth between solo piano and style play.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#475321 - 09/02/19 05:58 PM Re: Does anyone USE 76 keys when playing arranger? [Re: Dnj]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hi . . ,. I've been slowly trying to 'remember' that I have those extra keys :-) after so many years playing 71-note arrangers. I do use the top keys a moderate amount, mostly for piano 'runs' to be able to go a bit higher. I don't use the bottom-most keys much, but in a few songs I have found ways to use them. Not often, but here and there (and maybe a bit more as I discover songs for which some low notes (in addition to my chords) are useful ...

Jim

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online