SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#475134 - 08/30/19 01:36 PM Getting The Most Out Of Your Existing Arranger(s)
MusicalMemories Offline

Loc: Arbroath,Angus,Scotland
As we have the next batch of Arrangers looming on the Horizon. I wonder what percentage of your existing arrangers features get used before you think about getting another or adding to your setup.

#475138 - 08/30/19 03:25 PM Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Existing Arranger(s) [Re: MusicalMemories]
Kabinopus Online   content

Loc: Russia
I was thinking about adding one more instrument to my PSR-S950; at first this idea got me exited; somehow when I got money to finally do that I had to look at it more realistically. So far, I guess, if there’s no goal to have the latest and the most expensive stuff possible, the best offer on the market right now is PSR-S670 as an arranger and Yamaha P-121/125 as a digital piano. It’s about $600-$750 each.

The one thing which really affects the quality of music is, I’d say, time you can devote to it.

I see that in a lot of YouTube demonstrations a lot of keyboards tend so sound cheaper than they should. I explain it by the fact that the players didn’t have time or desire to get really familiar with the instrument. Often you have to mute half the style to make it sound more professional and each tone requires a specific approach. Finally, it’s rather about a general approach to music — dealing with arrangers, you won’t be able to work as a performer in an orchestra whose job is to follow sheets and a conductor; it’s rather about being a music producer first and this is where it becomes complicated.

Now I’m going to contradict myself after I told that music needs time; because also I think that music demands time to be away from it. Being outside, seeing new places, good communication; reading or listening some interviews, watching documentaries; in general, to have it all well-balanced; is something which doesn’t come in a box with a new purchase.

I see that I’m sort of preaching, which means that I have some dilemma myself; well, it’s tempting, for sure, to buy it all; but the question is — considering the amount of time it takes to really know (and remember) the keyboard’s content; the time we have to spend on other things (to stay healthy and socially active) — is it really a good idea to deliberately put on a plate more than one can eat?

Okay… this is sort of how I distract myself from playing too much.

#475140 - 08/30/19 03:49 PM Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Existing Arranger(s) [Re: MusicalMemories]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi
Have been thinking about getting the new sx 900, but haven’t ordered one yet, even though hubby has told me I can buy one. Just as well they’re not out yet or I would have dashed out and bought one.
Now tossing up between it and an inexpensive digital piano. Hmm.

I finally unpacked my keyboards after a nearly 12 month break, played my psr.
which has sat unplayed for most of its life. Liked the ease of being able to find an onboard style that suited .

My. Korg has a ,new upgrade. New stuff . Bernie happened to point out the upgrade manual which I hadn’t paid any attention to, so back to experimenting.

Haven’t had a great deal to do with the chord sequencer, but thought it might make a good practice tool.

So always something new to try.

Edited by rikkisbears (08/31/19 02:52 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#475153 - 08/31/19 05:32 AM Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Existing Arranger(s) [Re: MusicalMemories]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi MM:

Your point is well received. Most of us never really understand all the features available to us on our arrangers... no matter which brand or how old it happens to be. The temptation to "nibble" on the bait of a new (or newer) model is always there. We all want better sounds, new styles and multi-pads to make our performances sound more current... or true to a specific genre.

Truth told, we tend to get "new car syndrome" and that is only human. Resist, my friends... if you can! But if you don't or can't... enjoy that new toy and make us all envious! LOL!

Regards to all... ----Dave

#475155 - 08/31/19 05:54 AM Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Existing Arranger(s) [Re: Riceroni9]
Dnj Offline

Just use what YOU need for YOUR needs all else just goes by the wayside.
An arranger KB is a generalized instrument for many needs and function of which the player can choose to use or not.
Sad part is that either way YOU have to pay for it if you use them or not.
The small increment improvements on each upgraded model is the Bait to which makes them all money.

Edited by Dnj (08/31/19 05:55 AM)

#475157 - 08/31/19 06:47 AM Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Existing Arranger(s) [Re: MusicalMemories]
zuki Offline

I just added an MX61 with my 3X. I can pick it up with one hand and put it on the top tier. Adds a whole new element to my live play, although still working it in before taking live. I really like the arps that match up perfect when setting the bpm.

Nice too, to have 3 splits for on the fly voices...…….. Not to mention the fantastic Yamaha synth sounds - something that's been missing.

Edited by zuki (08/31/19 06:48 AM)

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#475158 - 08/31/19 07:01 AM Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Existing Arranger(s) [Re: zuki]
Dnj Offline

Zuki good luck with your MX61..looks like a kool unit..
are you carrying two KBs to your gigs now too...or?

#475198 - 09/01/19 08:10 AM Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Existing Arranger(s) [Re: MusicalMemories]
zuki Offline

Hi Donny,

Not yet. Have a lot of jobs in September, which slows down new material. Going through every single song, one by one, rearranging stuff and adding the synth. Material will be different than what I Do for the senior circuit. Hey, I figured might as well have some serious fun and try to branch out musically.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#475200 - 09/01/19 08:15 AM Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Existing Arranger(s) [Re: zuki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By zuki
Hi Donny,

Not yet. Have a lot of jobs in September, which slows down new material. Going through every single song, one by one, rearranging stuff and adding the synth. Material will be different than what I Do for the senior circuit. Hey, I figured might as well have some serious fun and try to branch out musically.

You go for it Herman I know in time you will kill it on stage...
keep us posted please...
good luck.

#475202 - 09/01/19 08:27 AM Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Existing Arranger(s) [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By zuki
Hi Donny,

You go for it Herman I know in time you will kill it on stage...
keep us posted please...
good luck.

What is this... the military!!! Call him Jim smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online