SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#474775 - 08/20/19 09:40 AM Re: formal training vs play it by ear (reworded) [Re: captain Russ]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I have that book and many more, they only tell which notes, there’s more to it than just notes.
Russ, has the best idea going. Hear, see, and feel.

John C.

#474832 - 08/22/19 07:38 AM Re: formal training vs play it by ear [Re: Mark79100]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Formal Training Vs. Playing by Ear

Who's to say that someone with formal training can not play by ear? If someone has had "formal training" and they can not play by ear, I say they're training is very incomplete. Ear training, interval recognition, melodic and rhythmic dictation, chord progressions,
transposition, transcription, sight singing (solfege) and improvisation are all part of a complete music education. If your only formal training was learning written pieces, you need to go further. Personally,I believe since music is an aural art form, one should stat with ear training long before they even learn to read music notation.

I believe learning music is much like learning a language. Does one learn to speak their native tongue with a book and list of written words? No, first the child spends a few years listening to their parents and other people speaking, then the child may start saying words, then more complete sentences. By the time the child is ready to read, he or she can hold a conversation and understand most of what is said. I believe music should be taught in a similar manner.

Edited by montunoman (08/22/19 07:43 AM)

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#474834 - 08/22/19 07:46 AM Re: formal training vs play it by ear [Re: Mark79100]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Let me add, music is a life long study. If you can not play by ear, improvise, or read music, don't just give up and blame your lack of talent. Go do something about it! That's the great thing about music, you can always learn something new!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#474842 - 08/22/19 10:58 AM Re: formal training vs play it by ear [Re: Mark79100]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Love it, I agree 100%

#474844 - 08/22/19 11:54 AM Re: formal training vs play it by ear [Re: montunoman]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By montunoman
Let me add, music is a life long study. If you can not play by ear, improvise, or read music, don't just give up and blame your lack of talent. Go do something about it! That's the great thing about music, you can always learn something new!

Paul, Very well said. My wife wonders why I spend quite a bit of my time with music. She will say something like “you already know how to play why do you spend so much time with it”? I just say you can never know too much, but she still doesn’t get it.

#474845 - 08/22/19 11:59 AM Re: formal training vs play it by ear [Re: Stephenm52]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Originally Posted By Stephenm52
I just say you can never know too much, but she still doesn’t get it.

Kinda like GOLF, or so I am told.
Eddie

#474847 - 08/22/19 12:29 PM Re: formal training vs play it by ear [Re: btweengigs]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By btweengigs
Originally Posted By Stephenm52
I just say you can never know too much, but she still doesn’t get it.

Kinda like GOLF, or so I am told.
Eddie

ABSOLUTELY !!!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online