SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#47464 - 08/13/03 12:21 AM need good piano sound
Anonymous
Unregistered

hi folks

need major help picking an instrument with simply good piano sound... i know all of you are technics fans; that's why i ask. would it be yamaha, korg, or roland? for sure, many agree that technics has OK--but not cutting edge--piano samples (even the 7000)

#47465 - 08/13/03 07:15 AM Re: need good piano sound
indytechpr804 Offline

Loc: indianapolis, in usa
It is all a matter of taste and Budget! We own one of the Ensemble Series Technics (PR-804), and this is our 2nd Technics Digital Piano. I have not played any of the Technics Keyboards,So I cannot vouch for their Sound, but the Technics Digital pianos, in my opinion have a very superior piano sound. My wife plays on the Roland Digital at our church, It is a $10,000+ digital in the form of a grand Piano. And even though it is a bit easier to record on, she thinks it sounds like you are playing in a tin can. But she has always enjoyed the Technics sound.

So there is the biased answer, but what can one expect from a Technics Discussion? My sugesstion is to try a number of instruments, and find the one that does what you want it to, and has the sound you are looking for, you will find that each manufacture has their own strengths and weaknesses. I wouldn't recommend a PR804 to every musician, but for my wife, who plays by ear, it is perfect!

The Salesmen we dealt with let my wife play on any instrument she wanted to, and that is really the best way to pick one out, explore different instruments, and find one the "Sounds right".

Happy Hunting!

Indy

#47466 - 08/13/03 07:47 AM Re: need good piano sound
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
You just can not judge an instrument sound when one is played in a church and the second one is played at home.
To make a fair assessment both keyboards are required to be played in the same room environment and acoustics.

Graham UK

#47467 - 08/13/03 08:20 AM Re: need good piano sound
indytechpr804 Offline

I agree!, and in this case both of them were played in the same environment! We went to the same store our church bought their piano from, The piano store had the same Roland my wife plays at church as well as the Technics. Which made it very easy to compare the sounds, she could go back and forth on both instruments. Which brings me back to trying a number of instruments, with your added point of hopefully in the same environment, so you can make a adequate judement for yourself!

There are a number of great instruments out there, Roland makes a very fine product, but it is a matter of taste, and for us, Technics has a much better sound!

Indy

#47468 - 08/13/03 09:26 AM Re: need good piano sound
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Who are the many? That would be my first question to you. Next would be of these many what is the make of the keyboards of these many that you speak of. Once you have furnished the answers to these questions I’ll just bet I can tell you why each one of the many have given you their opinions. One of the main topics of the general discussion forum and one that absorbs great amounts of space and seems to reflect the mentality of most of them is mine is better than yours, what should I get, or, I need help in choosing. Most already have their minds made up to start with but for lack of something better to do and not having much to contribute of any value, resort to this kind of stuff to keep some conversation flowing, or pamper their ego. I have very seldom seen any thing of value issue from this mindset. Why do they always need help? Can’t they determine for themselves what they personally like and what will fulfill their needs? If you have read this technics discussion for any length of time I don’t see how you cannot determine why all of us have purchased the boards we have. For heavens sake, some of us have bought other boards. Tried what we thought might be better from the suggestions of the people that owned them, and then kicked ourselves in the rear end. Including me! I guess everyone has an agenda and always will. I kind of like the agenda of this forum, to help each other learn and enjoy the product we have determined to be the best for us and do everything we would like it to do. If you don’t like the piano on the KN based on the opinion of others then by all means get what they, (whoever they is), like and be happy with what there choice for you might be. Me? I like to get what I like. Ruthie lets me get what I like and I let Ruthie get what she likes. For fifty three years this has worked just fine. Good thing keyboards are not like marriage. Your not stuck with them forever. I guess today things have changed somewhat. Even wives seem to be traded in more often these days. Good thing I made my own choice with Ruthie. Didn’t listen to my mother or my friends who tried to fix me up. Made up my own mind and picked her because she is what I wanted and have never been sorry. I hope this helps, dimsum, for I can only try to put into words the way I think and you got them for better or worse.

Grandpa Doug

#47469 - 08/13/03 11:50 AM Re: need good piano sound
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's very unlikely that someone who has just paid $10000 dollars or whatever for any product is going to give you an unbiased answer. Can you imagine QUOTE ' just bought the latest piano and paid $10000 for it and it's rubbish' UNQUOTE. No , the best way is always to go on your own judgement and match it to your purpose. I personally have owned a Roland KR577 piano and I don't consider it even close to the Technics.
good hunting
Peter B

#47470 - 08/13/03 12:13 PM Re: need good piano sound
indytechpr804 Offline

I see what you are saying, but you missed my point! Our original intention was to buy the Upright version of this Roland Digital/Grand-Monster, and still couldn't get past the Sound Quality of the Technics, even when you compare the Student level Digitals, Roland wasn't even close! But I think I am preaching to the Choir!!!

#47471 - 08/13/03 12:36 PM Re: need good piano sound
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I Just have to get into this one.
First Grandpa Doug, you hit it right on the nose. Your post did remind me of the "BIG BOPPER" when he sings "Baby, you know what I like".
ok now then.
First of all welcome to dimsum on his/her second only post to the forum. We will all try to help you here if we can and you just have to overlook the imput from some of us. OK OK GRAMPS, I SAID US US US US!!!
Now then with all that said.
I have the best piano of all for over the 16 last years and it is not for sale. What is it? It is in the Ensoniq Sampler EPS 16 Plus Turbo in the hard drive. I have exact samples of all the greatest pianos ever built. Steinway, Yamaha, Bosendorfer, etc.
I DO NOT think that Technics has the greatest piano in any of their keyboards or Pr pianos, but I do think they have the greatest of everything else there is to have in a digital piano or keyboard and each model proves that beyond a shadow of a doubt. I have had keyboards from all manufacturers and still have many of them. i am not guessing about this. I am not neccesarily an expert but like the "BIG BOPPER", I know What I Like BABY
Best to you dimsum who lives in Vancouver, BC only a few water miles from the island I grew up on at Anacortes, Washington
Bebop

#47472 - 08/13/03 07:47 PM Re: need good piano sound
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
If you are looking for a good sound for any instrument with a wide frequency and dynamic range, don't forget that the speaker system you use can have a considerable impact on the result.

Mike

#47473 - 08/13/03 09:03 PM Re: need good piano sound
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Piano is the most difficult to reproduce through the speaker system, no matter how good the source. The dynamic range of the piano is very high. It requires high peak power even for moderate volume levels and very good transient response of the amplifier and speaker. The amplifier/speaker combination is absolutely the key to good sounding piano.
Walt

[This message has been edited by Walt Meyer (edited 08-13-2003).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online