SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#474326 - 08/08/19 10:01 AM Re: PA700 Organ Bossa style.... [Re: tony mads usa]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By tony mads usa
chas ... I use the same ones from the Real Book Vol (?) ...
Not to send Donny's post south, perhaps you could start another thread telling us what substitutions or additions you might use?

Tony, I play it pretty much straight; maybe re-voice a few chords in the interest of hand position. My 'canned' solo is pretty much directly stolen from an old Groove Holmes recording of it from the 60's or 70's. But let's not offend our friend Donny, who has NEVER, EVER, taken a post 'south'. BTW, your last post expresses my sentiments EXACTLY.

chas

#474328 - 08/08/19 10:27 AM Re: PA700 Organ Bossa style.... [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Ironically, I used the same chords DonM used, they fit my vocals, comfortably. And, No Tony, I'm not kidding - it's called ad liibbing: Short for ad libitum. A term used in jazz music as a slang for an improvised solo, or a solo performed without written notation, but where the performer improvises a melody based around the melodic and harmonic structure of the original melody.

This is one of those timeless songs that just about every audience recognized, I always enjoyed playing it and my Latin audiences loved to dance to it. There was a time when I sang it in Portuguese and Spanish, but alas, that was quite a long time ago. Now, I can no longer sing, so I didn't post a rendition.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#474329 - 08/08/19 10:40 AM Re: PA700 Organ Bossa style.... [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I'll admit, I dropped the two measures before closing out the bridge, on both of my Bossa demoes.

I wasn't trying to be accurate, as I mentioned I winged it smile.

I also noticed after recording that the bass inversion made it sound different than intended.. grin

But the point was to illustrate the different bossa organ styles of different instruments. frown

#474331 - 08/08/19 11:16 AM Re: PA700 Organ Bossa style.... [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
And, No Tony, I'm not kidding - it's called ad liibbing: Short for ad libitum. A term used in jazz music as a slang for an improvised solo, or a solo performed without written notation, but where the performer improvises a melody based around the melodic and harmonic structure of the original melody.

Gary cool

Which has little or nothing to do with what we're talking about here. There is a slight difference between a melody and a chord change. In general, one can be improvised freely; the other, with a great deal of caution (and musical knowledge).

As for the post being primarily about STYLES, (IMO) a style is best demonstrated when the listener is not distracted by errant chords. JMO.

chas (JMO MEANS JMO)

#474332 - 08/08/19 11:17 AM Re: PA700 Organ Bossa style.... [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Chas here are the correct chords smile

Multi tracks, using the E-A7.

https://app.box.com/s/zzdmsewwp6jjpeyzdtahy9foyghz6el8

#474335 - 08/08/19 11:31 AM Re: PA700 Organ Bossa style.... [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Yep, those are the correct chords (at least they're the ones I use). If you're looking for a critique, lose the piano. That E-A7 sounds pretty good, are they the same voices as in my BK7m? I use it as my go-to drum machine (love those Roland drums). I still use some of the styles (drums) you gave me a few years back. They still sound terrific and fit well with the kind of music I play. I still owe you a burger for that smile.

chas

#474336 - 08/08/19 11:40 AM Re: PA700 Organ Bossa style.... [Re: cgiles]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Yep, those are the correct chords (at least they're the ones I use). If you're looking for a critique, lose the piano. That E-A7 sounds pretty good, are they the same voices as in my BK7m? I use it as my go-to drum machine (love those Roland drums). I still use some of the styles (drums) you gave me a few years back. They still sound terrific and fit well with the kind of music I play. I still owe you a burger for that smile.

chas

The BK7m is different in drum kits available and the collection of SRX tones found in the E-A7.. but they can sound very similar.

#474337 - 08/08/19 11:43 AM Re: PA700 Organ Bossa style.... [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
There are more and some newer voices in the EA7, particularly piano.
Drums sound the same to me.
Intro one on most of the EA7 styles has been reworked to use as a break/fill.
Regarding the charts, I really prefer to put my chord changed in line with the lyrics. Like "Your cheatin' [1] heart, will tell on [4] you. You'll cry and [5-7] cry, like us old farts do...." smile

#474338 - 08/08/19 11:46 AM Re: PA700 Organ Bossa style.... [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
But the point was to illustrate the different
bossa organ styles of different instruments. frown

Thanx Fran....Finally someone really "GETS IT"!!
key word here is ORGAN.

Edited by Dnj (08/08/19 11:47 AM)

#474340 - 08/08/19 11:58 AM Re: PA700 Organ Bossa style.... [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
https://youtu.be/tDHyWgVMGqk

I found this old video we did of the Girl From Ipanema. My chord changes come the Real Book, with some substitutions I use on the bridge. I’m not sure if they’re “ theoretically correct” but it works for us. The guitar player in this video is a Spanish flamenco player, he said he had never played the tune before so I had to go over the changes quickly before the gig. He did alright but he was differently out of his confort zone.

Also my wife, who is a Spanish speaking Mexican did the best she could with her limited Portugués.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online