SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#47421 - 01/23/07 04:39 AM Technics KN2400 panel memory
lindhawk Offline

Loc: Midland, Ontario, Canada
I need help with storing/changing settings in the panel memory. They do not seem to stay put when I store them there.

#47422 - 01/24/07 02:42 AM Re: Technics KN2400 panel memory
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Panel Memory is 'Volatile' i.e. it is not retained after you have switched off the KN2400. If you wish to retain the Panel Memory for particular set-ups, you must save them to Floppy Disk.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#47423 - 01/24/07 08:41 AM Re: Technics KN2400 panel memory
lindhawk Offline

Thanks Bill. I have about 30 floppies, each with 20 rhythm and registration styles on. Only just discovered that each style has a preset variation which go into the panel memory but as you say, they have to be loaded from disc each time you want to use them. This seems like a lengthy process especially if you wanted to perform somewhere and change stored rhythms often. I assume that I can store several, ie 8 in each of the 3 banks, after initialization of the keyboard and keep changing between them but only until the machine is turned off, at which point they will be lost. Am I right? I'm at the point of getting rid of the Technics unless I can get this memory thing sorted out.

Also do you have any idea why, when the LH instrument kicks in with the preset panel memory, I am unable to change chords with the left hand?

#47424 - 01/24/07 11:18 AM Re: Technics KN2400 panel memory
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hi there
I help run the club that Midge may have told you about...
The KN2400 was produced as a lightweight version of the KN7000 without the built in memory facility (SD Cards) of the latter and the sister to the KN2400 known as the KN2600.
So the only memory storage it has is floppy disks to store your 'set-ups'/registrations that are in your panel memory buttons. Certainly this causes problems when playing in front of an audience as the loading time is significantly long whereas with an SD Card model it is only about a second or two.
So if you're playing out swap your KN2400 for a KN2600 or better still a KN7000.
As for your second question have a look at the 'auto play chord' mode button setting and alter it to: fingered; memory on; left hold on - should work then but you'll have to update/correct every one of the panel memory settings currently in place the above way. Or come to the Florida convention and we'll show you how....
Rog

[This message has been edited by RMepstead (edited 01-24-2007).]

#47425 - 01/24/07 11:38 AM Re: Technics KN2400 panel memory
lindhawk Offline

Thanks Rog. You're such a helpful bunch! Midge just sent me a lengthy email with helpful tips about Panel Memory that I'm going to study at my leisure. I managed to copy some favourite rhythms from disc to the Panel Memory buttons but know they won't stay after I turn the machine off.

Thanks - by luck, I found the Auto Chord Mode left hand On button and it does work but as you say, has to be changed for every rhythm.

There doesn't seem to be any way to permanently change the split point either. Being a "one finger" chorder right now, I prefer the split to be at G2 rather than the default C3 but again have to change it each time I use a built in rhythm. I'm working my way through the 30 discs, changing each one of them but have just discovered that each rhythm there has 4 variations (registration and beat) so am having to go through them again.

Easy for you to say - swap for a 6000 or 7000..... Pretty expensive swap and I'm not that good yet so will perservere with the 2400.

Thanks again. Wish I could make the convention but I'll be teaching on the 22nd. Would there be any use in coming for just one day?

#47426 - 01/24/07 11:58 AM Re: Technics KN2400 panel memory
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
OK - you're now beginning to set up the registrations with the settings that you want in the panel memory area, and going from memory you'll need to change the settings for the split point in each panel memory button as well - so a long haul if you are using someone else's registrations cos even saving new settings takes time!
Download some of the stuff that Midge and I have put on MSN Keyboardcapers web site - Midge'll give you the link - it's all one finger chord stuff because that's the way I play too...
Yes it is most definitely worth coming for one day - you'll learn an enormous amount first hand; meet some great people; and want to stay longer. Come prepared with a list of things you don't understand and even bring your KN2400 if you like...
Rog
p.s. the link: http://groups.msn.com/KeyboardCapers/welcometokeyboardcapers.msnw

[This message has been edited by RMepstead (edited 01-24-2007).]

#47427 - 01/24/07 01:56 PM Re: Technics KN2400 panel memory
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by RMepstead:
going from memory you'll need to change the settings for the split point in each panel memory button as well - so a long haul if you are using someone else's registrations cos even saving new settings takes time!

if you use the panel memory expansion filter to prevent split point changes (set off) and then use data protection to prevent further loads from changing the expansion filter, you just need to re-save the first setup on load, then all other panel memories will keep the same split point without having to re-save them irrespective of any different split points saved in them.

#47428 - 01/24/07 03:38 PM Re: Technics KN2400 panel memory
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Lindhawk,

I don't know too much about the KN2400 and 2600 but if they are based on the KN7, and have a similar 'working' method, I think I would save my settings in the order I was going to play either in the BANKS, MY FAVOURITES or CUSTOM STYLIST MEMORY.However, not knowing the keyboards, maybe these facilities are not available to you.

Just a thought!

Audrey

#47429 - 01/24/07 05:22 PM Re: Technics KN2400 panel memory
lindhawk Offline

Thank you again, Rog, Technicsplayer and Audrey. All good suggestions and I've visited the website you sent me, Rog.

Would seem I have a long haul ahead of me.

Cheers

Linda

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online