SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#473461 - 07/25/19 12:35 PM George Duke...an all-time favorite.
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
T-Jam, by George Duke has always been my "go to" fusion/funk place. Just found a live version of George with Christian McBride on a 5 string maple neck fretless jazz bass playing what is now my favorite live jazz/funk piece ever. It's called "It's On" and was recorded at the 2010 Java Jazz Festival.

Take a look...

Russ

#473465 - 07/25/19 02:01 PM Re: George Duke...an all-time favorite. [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Hey ol' man, you gittin' old or what? Where's the link? smile smile.

chas

#473469 - 07/25/19 05:54 PM Re: George Duke...an all-time favorite. [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Ok, so you're gonna make us work for it smile smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHFJ9qhR0VM

chas

#473668 - 07/29/19 11:53 PM Re: George Duke...an all-time favorite. [Re: captain Russ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
The first time I heard George play was with Frank Zappa in Australia in 1973. It also featured Jean Luc Ponty.

#473688 - 07/30/19 10:31 AM Re: George Duke...an all-time favorite. [Re: Nigel]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
My friend, Zak Brock occasionally subs for Ponty in Chick Corea's band. Great kid and fabulous player.

Russ

#474093 - 08/04/19 04:08 AM Re: George Duke...an all-time favorite. [Re: Nigel]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Just looked Zack up ... what a fantastic musician. The last time I saw Al Di Meola play live he had a new violinist Evan Garr who is also great. He had driven from Illinois to Toronto to hear Al play live. After the show he managed to meet Al backstage and told him how much he loved playing his music on violin. Al let him play violin with him backstage. After playing with him he asked what he was about to do that night. Evan said he was driving back to Illinois. Al said no you aren't you are playing with us tomorrow at the Montreux Jazz Festival. Al emptied his wallet of any cash and gave him money to stay and fly to Montreux to play with him. Evan is still his violin player. When I heard them play together last Al credited him with the line "And he is cheaper than Jean Luc" wink

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online