SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#473705 - 07/30/19 04:32 PM Still think she's GREAT!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I'm in a rental car on the way back from a session. Listening to a jazz service. Listening to Rachelle Ferrell sing "I Can Explain". It's fantastic.

A year ago, I was referencing a George Benson, Rachelle, Quincy Jones number, and it was universally panned. Literally no one liked it. All posts indicated that everyone disliked her.

WHY?

I also heard a tune, "Love Won't Let Me Wait" by a lady I knew a little about....Maysa.

I'll look up youTube stuff from these two when I get home (I'm leaving St. Louis, trying to make a job that starts in Lexington in 2 hours and I'm 125 miles out).

I think these ladies are world class.

The question is WHAT'S WRONG WITH EVERYONE ELSE? (lol).

Russ (Tone Deaf) Lay

Edited by captain Russ (07/31/19 10:41 AM)

#473785 - 07/31/19 01:58 PM Re: Still think she's GREAT! [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Russ, we're usually in lock step with most artists but Rachelle.....let's just say, she's not for everybody. I've got to be honest, I don't like her, never did, never will; just a little too bizarre for my taste. I've included a little clip (watch as much as you can tolerate) that illustrates what I mean. Yeah, I know all about her vocal range, ect. but the weird facial expressions, strange (to say the least) vocal interpretations (screeching, screaming, etc.) just won't allow me to warm up to her. Maybe I'm too much of a traditionalist, but there are too many other female vocalist out there that I like soooo much better. I'm basically a Sarah Vaughan, Gloria Lynne, Carmen McRea, Betty Carter, Nina Simone, Shirley Horn, etc. kind of guy. Frankly, I'm not even a big Ella fan (she just never moved me the right way).

But hey, we all know how subjective music is and how much tastes vary. We agree on about 99% of our artists, just not on Rachelle. Nothing wrong with that. Here's the clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBmhFO0-uSs

chas

#473793 - 07/31/19 03:26 PM Re: Still think she's GREAT! [Re: cgiles]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Chas, I try to stay out of this bar (too political). smile

But I agree 100 percent with you here.. I can not figure out why Russ likes her.. The video says it all.. She is terrible grin

Just like I said months ago shocked

#473803 - 07/31/19 05:11 PM Re: Still think she's GREAT! [Re: Fran Carango]
captain Russ Offline

You think I care about what two old tone deaf farts think?

Sure I do. And you're in the majority.

I just see a major talent that, for some reason, after 50 years, hasn't reached it's potential.

Ella taught me how to play inverted chords. She was the first female jazz vocalist I really started listening to.

And, she made sure I got a home cooked meal a couple of times a week.

I loved her for her kindness as much as for her talent.

I just so much want Rachelle to hit her stride.

I enjoy her effort more than the result.

Be well, guys.

Russ (WHAT?) Lay

#473805 - 07/31/19 07:09 PM Re: Still think she's GREAT! [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Russ, here's my 'home girl'. She should help wean you off of Rachelle smile smile. She refused to expand beyond D.C. and therefore never really got the exposure and potential praise for her work.
If you haven't heard this song, please listen to the end, it's worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTv3TONfTTQ

chas

#473807 - 07/31/19 07:32 PM Re: Still think she's GREAT! [Re: captain Russ]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Chas, I worked with a young lady in the mid 80's..Her favorite singers were Sarah Vaughan, and Anita Baker.. So we did their material..

Cheryl was one of the best. Unfortunately she had to deal with a lot of negative patrons in our Philly area jobs.. We were a black and white duo, and back then as you are probably aware, people could be thoughtless.. The vast majority loved her, but the few were hurtful.

We are still friends today (35 years)… and she can still sing.

#473809 - 07/31/19 08:19 PM Re: Still think she's GREAT! [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Well Fran, you should have stayed out of South Philly smile smile. That's interesting, because during my stint in Philly and South Jersey I almost always worked with a mixed group including Black and White female singers (in both Black and White clubs) and I don't ever recall having a problem. Maybe because most of the clubs we played were jazz clubs which always had mixed patrons (as well as musicians of all stripes coming around to 'sit in' ---oftentimes they were just trying to 'gorilla' the gig smile ). We did tend to avoid the Jersey Shore clubs though (with the exception of Atlantic City) as the patrons tended to be more like what you described. Guess that's the America we're trying to get back to; personally, I don't think we ever left. Oh well, I'll be dead soon and for me, at least, it will no longer matter. Sometimes I can hardly wait. I used to think that people could change; I no longer believe that. I used to think that people were basically good; I no longer believe that either.

chas

#473844 - 08/01/19 08:45 AM Re: Still think she's GREAT! [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Offline

Chas, I had every Verve record I could get my hands on until they went under. Ella sicked me onto Shirley, and I met her with Herb Ellis in the mid-60's.

She's unquestionably world class. This is a Verve recording and most of the pieces from Rachelle have been poor quality live performances. I went back and looked at her album work, which I find to be "top shelf".

You're right. We think a lot alike, but, while I know why you question the character of people, (it's easier to think this way during the "rough" spots), I cannot make myself give up on everyone. All it takes is one uplifting experience or friendship (ours, for instance) to be able to appreciate the
sometimes hard to find substance in others.

That's my story, and, Damn it, I'M STICKING TO IT!

Russ

#473861 - 08/01/19 10:51 AM Re: Still think she's GREAT! [Re: captain Russ]
captain Russ Offline

Just spent an hour listening to prime cuts off of Rachelle's albums with Columbia. Read outstanding reviews across the spectrum. I think she's fabulous. Also, think Lisa Fisher (I Can't Stand The Pain-1991) Was an under appreciated vocalist, although she did have a # 1 song in 1991. Fran will appreciate her outfits over the years; especially on an award show singing "I Can't Stand the Pain).

The girl (Rachelle) does take chances, and sometimes she misses the mark, but she's a singer's singer. I'm looking into bringing her to Lexington for a performance with the Philharmonic. I will foot the bill.

So there!

R (tone deaf) lay

#476218 - 09/18/19 01:32 PM Re: Still think she's GREAT! [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Offline

Shirley is FINE! I have to stick with Ella, for personal reasons, and there is lots of admiration in my soul for Rachelle, too.

Of course, I very much liked Rosemary Clooney and my big, silly buddy, Pearl Bailey; obviously for reasons other than just vocal ability.

The Hathaway daughter is good, and the great Stones back-up singer Lisa Fisher was in my top 10. Dianna Krall is a particular favorite. Hey, if she married Elvis Costello, I figure ugly old me might have a chance.

Point is, I like experimentation and many different styles.

And, I REALLY enjoy it when a new male or female singer breaks through and gets the recognition they deserve.

"Ain't It Grand?"

Be well, all,

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (09/18/19 02:58 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online