SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#473533 - 07/26/19 10:53 PM how do you make a voice sound "gruffy?"
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I've been thinking about this for the longest time.

I sing pretty well, but my voice (I think) is really only good for the legit stuff (Sinatra, Broadway, etc). When one is singing R&R how could he process a voice to sound rough like Mick Jagger...or...any of the great blues men...or...like rock singers in general?

#473546 - 07/27/19 06:50 AM Re: how do you make a voice sound "gruffy?" [Re: Mark79100]
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
that comes from drinking hard booze and smoking, working the blues bars 6 to 7 nights a week. modern vocal teachers can show you tricks. there are you tube videos out there, but getting in the trenches is (IMO) the only way to really do it. Even then only a few are successful. ive been trying for years.
I had a good voice for soul and blues with that raspiness , but when I quit drinking and smoking , my voice smoothed out . then add years of not singing ,my voice sounds like that character on family
guy (herb the perv) when he sings. not very soulful, but funny.

#473589 - 07/27/19 07:41 PM Re: how do you make a voice sound "gruffy?" [Re: wrinkles303]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
You may want to google “Bradley Cooper raspy voice coach”. He studied with a guy for quite a while prior to shooting “A Star is Born”. If I remember correctly...Cooper said it hurt like hell.
JM

#473590 - 07/27/19 07:59 PM Re: how do you make a voice sound "gruffy?" [Re: jingleman]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Another interesting example is Kevin Costner. Although not a singer...if you compare his voice in his earlier movies to his last few...including his TV show “Yellowstone” on Paramount, his voice is much more raspy with some depth. As I’m sure Gary will attest to...early Hollywood actors came from radio. Voice training and technique were already engrained in them.

I remember listening to Costner’s voice when he was younger and thinking it sounded like Bart Simpson bart But I guess not everyone can be blessed with the “Sam Elliot” chops!
JM

#473596 - 07/28/19 01:28 AM Re: how do you make a voice sound "gruffy?" [Re: wrinkles303]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Mark, I have asked the same question many times. Received my answer after listening to Frank Sinatra sing a rock type of song, he was tribble. My voice gave me a successful career – trying to sound like someone else puts me at the bottom of the list. I tried using vocal effects, but there is no vocalizer that can make me sing like Don, it’s not me.

When music stated to change, I did my best, which was not very good. (By my standards) Barbara Streisand lost some of the quality of her voice when she left her comfort zone. In trying to stay up with the times I hired a man who played terrible sax and a fair guitar, BUT his voice and feel for rock was great. He killed what you called legit music. The duo lasted four very successful years.

When you have high standards in music, which I fell you have, you will never be happy trying to sing like someone else.

Your “Mony Pony” was real good, you surprised me. Mark you are close enough. You reminds me of a guy who buys a new beautiful car and then begins to make it look like something else.

I have enjoyed your posts, Joh

#473600 - 07/28/19 06:46 AM Re: how do you make a voice sound "gruffy?" [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
John Fogerty of Creedance was asked how he got that rough vocal sound. He said he would go into the woods and scream as loud as he could till his voice roughed up. I would say this is not a good idea and will just lead to vocal chord damage. If its any help I think singing more from the back of yoir throat instead of deep down will help but again be careful. Sort of like when you first wake up and your voice isn't loose yet.
As most pro singers do just choose songs that fit your voice.

Edited by Bill Lewis (07/28/19 09:07 AM)

#473601 - 07/28/19 07:58 AM Re: how do you make a voice sound "gruffy?" [Re: Mark79100]
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
we all cant be a ray charles, frank sinatra, bill medley or joe cocker, but like those singers that were influenced by a previous singer, they became their own style that later influenced the new singers that came along. my singers i wanted to sound like was otis redding, sam cook , joe cocker, i worked with a guy that was considered the male aretha franklin his named was freddie empire. toured with him in the 70's. one greatest unknown club singers i've ever worked with. also boyd williams,i've work with, a good blues singer. both of these guys have youtube videos and have taught me alot on how to sing.

#473602 - 07/28/19 08:30 AM Re: how do you make a voice sound "gruffy?" [Re: Mark79100]
Crossover Offline

I haven‘t read all posts, but couldn‘t you technically apply the same effects that make a saxophone a growling sax? Maybe one could experiment with such effects.

Edited by Crossover (07/28/19 10:13 AM)

#473603 - 07/28/19 10:37 AM Re: how do you make a voice sound "gruffy?" [Re: Crossover]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Sometimes I can get a 'growl' in my voice for a word or two, but I don't know if it's the key I'm singing in, the note I'm hitting, the phrasing, or what that allows me to do it ...

I always marvelled at Elvis's ability to growl a whole song and then sing a ballad as smooth as silk ...

BTW, Mark, I thought your "Mony Pony" (Mony Mony) sounded pretty darn good ...

#473605 - 07/28/19 11:36 AM Re: how do you make a voice sound "gruffy?" [Re: Mark79100]
Crossover Offline

OK, I was thinking of digital effects; in synthesizers, a growling sax often uses the same samples as the softer tenor sax, but certain effects are applied...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online