SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#472512 - 07/07/19 10:37 PM I'm stumped on this Roland procedure
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I've recently been using my Roland E-300 and can't figure how to change the styles that I'm showing in the diagram ("panel descriptions...music styles" in the manual). Can anyone guess how to change from the "top row" to the "bottom row" (ballad, waltz, swing etc). Right now, luckily, I'm accessing the styles in the "top" row.

I was able to do this years ago, but I can't remember "how." The manual doesn't explain it either.

Anyone have any guesses on what to do (IF it's not broke)?

Roland E-300 manual

#472522 - 07/08/19 03:22 AM Re: I'm stumped on this Roland procedure [Re: Mark79100]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Mark, as I read it, the labels on the 'bottom' are just sub-categories of the 'top' label. The manual states that there are EIGHT (8) categories. If the bottom labels were separate categories there would be THIRTEEN (13). Note that the 'Disk/User' button is labeled the same way but it only represents ONE function. An easy way to check would be to select a style category with a bottom label and see if styles from the 'bottom' category show up in the display (probably towards the end). I think if you look at the Styles list on page 82, that will bear this out. Hope this helps.

chas

#473103 - 07/18/19 09:36 PM Re: I'm stumped on this Roland procedure [Re: cgiles]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By cgiles
I think if you look at the Styles list on page 82, that will bear this out. Hope this helps.

Chas..I'm half embarrassed (no, make that 100% embarrassed) that I couldn't figure that out for myself.

I didn't realize there was a complete listing of all the styles on page 82. ALL of the styles ARE in my keyboard. I'm not sure I would have figured that out for myself. I don't use the keyboard that much any more.

Anyhow, you opened up a whole can of worms for me. I had a blast going over those styles I forgot all about. And the great supplement styles on a separate floppy disc that came with the keyboard. That led to me remembering I had hundreds of old E-300 styles stored on my hard drive. These are the real stuff....when styles were authentic reproductions.

I'm really enjoying going over those age-old styles that Roland put out in the early days!! Not sure I would have gotten this far without your "investigative work."

#473106 - 07/18/19 09:57 PM Re: I'm stumped on this Roland procedure [Re: Mark79100]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Nothing to be embarrassed about. I don't think there's a single one of us that hasn't 'missed the obvious' from time to time. Just glad it worked out. There's nothing like discovering (or re-discovering) something new and exciting musically. It also shows that just because it might be considered 'dated' doesn't necessarily mean it's not good. Have fun with the 'new' styles.

chas

#473128 - 07/19/19 05:23 AM Re: I'm stumped on this Roland procedure [Re: cgiles]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Mark, it takes humility to say you do not understand, and humility opens the door to wisdom.
Mark, you’re doing just fine I have posted many questions on this forum, questions that I knew had a simple answer, but for whatever reason got past me.

The good part is without those questions Chas would have nothing to do. (smile)
Be well my friend, John C.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online