SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#471505 - 06/21/19 10:07 AM Hanging it up at the end of the year...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
When I was younger, I played to get drunk and laid.
Then, I realized that the clubs and restaurants that could afford jazz also had business people who could afford my services (communications, photography, film making, etc.).

My studio work has doubled in the last 5 years, and I just realized I'm totally booked on my day work until 2025. I'll be 80 then, if I live that long. Don't need to "fish" for clients anymore.

I think I'm giving up my 5 night gig. I've only had 9 weeks off in 63 years. What I'll do is play the philharmonic (vibes), keep my 2 night a month B-3 jazz night and work with my trio...my son on bass and my grandson on drums. On bigger jobs, Ill call in a horn player, another guitar player, etc.

Being too busy is a GOOD problem to have. Studio is about 110 hours a month. My studio time for my clients is another 25 hours. Philharmonic is 20 hours. Add at least 8 jobs for the trio and you have a full-time job, I guess. It just won't be 5 nights playing for fat asses who are eaten up with self importance.

At least that's the plan.

BIG, BIG change. I'm tired.

R.

Edited by captain Russ (06/24/19 12:44 PM)

#471523 - 06/22/19 02:41 AM Re: Hanging it up at the end of the year... [Re: captain Russ]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
I appreciate you sharing this with us. I don't want to make some careless comment just to confirm that your message is read, because there's nothing simple when it comes to a real life.

In some way I envy you your energy, I've never been this active myself, but I'm working on it.
I guess, whatever the act is, it's always some form of escaping, because when you're busy with one thing, you're covered from another one. But not many people manage to organize it in a practical way, I guess, you're one of those who've managed it properly.

#472479 - 07/07/19 09:40 AM Re: Hanging it up at the end of the year... [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Time to smell the roses, Russ, before someone lays them on your casket. C'mon over and I'll take you sailing - beats the Hell out of working all the time, though I do miss being on stage.

Good luck, my friend,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#472926 - 07/15/19 12:41 PM Re: Hanging it up at the end of the year... [Re: captain Russ]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
My winter illness pretty much decimated my NH business. Now I've got one here nd there, so I either have to go out and shake the bushes once again or hang it up. WE are spending two months plus in Florida now too. With nine months of availability what are my chances of booking enough work to make it worthwhile. I still have my church subbing work to keep me active. At 69 I don't want to quit but I don't want to tie myself up in case I have a chance to take a short trip or something.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online