SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#472671 - 07/11/19 10:00 AM OT - I'm home!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Although there were times when I thought I wasn't going to make it home ever again.

Monday started out beautifully, sailed 40 miles on just the jib sail down to Worton Creek where I anchored up and spent the night. Although it was very hot and humid, I have a Honda 2001i portable generator on the boat, which allows me to run the AC/heat pump and the generator is very quiet, comparatively speaking,

After a quick breakfast the following morning, I motored out of the creek, put up the sails and pointed the bow south, though there was not a lot of wind to work with so it took most of the day just to travel 29 miles to my next destination, a small creek just north of Annapolis, Maryland where a friend of mine works during the summer months. Most of the evening was spent drinking Honey Bourbon, talking about old times and how much fun we had on the trip the Florida Keys and Dry Tortugas back in 2012. Since then, he and his wife have divorced, he has a girlfriend that is half his age, but not sure how this is going to work out.

I fired up the engine and motored out of Mill Creek at 6:30 a.m. and listened to the marine weather forecast, which called for winds from the southwest at just 5 to 10 mph. Unfortunately, the marine weather forecast is about as reliable as predicting anything else in life - it's a crap shoot at best. I managed to sail about 30 miles farther south, tacking most of the way, and about noon the wind began to pick up. "Great, I thought, at least I should have some wind to sail on today." Well, those 5 to 10 mph winds increased to 25 to 30 with some higher gusts.

Well, it wouldn't been so bad if I had someone along with me to help manage the sails, but as usual, I was sailing single handed. The wave heights gradually increased to 4 to 5 feet, spray was constantly coming over the bow, and the pressure on the sails and helm was considerable. Then, just as I was coming around to change my tack angle, a rogue wave of about 8 to 10 feet hit me broadside, threw me out of the helm seat, sent the boom flying to the opposite side of the boat, and for a few minutes, I thought I had broken my arm. (Turns out to just a bad sprain of my right elbow. My left elbow, somehow, go a pretty nasty gash in it, though I didn't realize this until I saw blood on the cockpit deck.

I covered my wounds with sterile gauze, turned the boat around and headed for home, which was 142 miles away. It was a lot easier ride with following seas, and while underway, I called my friends to let them know I'm not going to see them. They understood, said maybe I should just drive down, which only takes a couple hours at most,go out to a local seafood restaurant, then I could be back home that night, sleeping in my own bed. Makes perfectly good sense to this old fart.

I was behind the helm on the return trip for nearly 17 hours, arrived at the marina at 3 a.m., hooked up the AC power, fired up the AC, took some pain pills and quickly fell asleep at the dock. I woke up at 8 when my wife called, worrying why I didn't answer the phone - I turned it off so I could sleep,

This morning, I made a conscientious decision that this was the end of my sailing days. I'll be 79 in October, if I make it that far, and I have come to the realization that I no longer can do the things I did back in 2012 when I was in much better physical condition. Too damned many body parts are just plain shot to Hell!

The boat is up for sale again, Carol is happy about that, and to be perfectly honest, I guess I am as well.

I'll post some vids and photos later this evening when I retrieve my phone from the car.

Sorry about the rant, but I thought this short story would be amusing to some of the forum members.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#472674 - 07/11/19 10:21 AM Re: OT - I'm home! [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I think you are making a good decision Gary. Glad you made it back o.k.
I sold my 19 foot, 150 hp, bass boat and bought a much smaller one, with stick steering. I'm able to get in and out of it much easier. There are some compromises, but at least I'm still fishing!
Yesterday my friend and I were fishing when a storm popped up. We were about two miles from the dock, but managed to get back just in time to not get blown away.
Maybe you should trade your boat for a powered cruiser and still be able to get out on the water.

#472676 - 07/11/19 10:31 AM Re: OT - I'm home! [Re: travlin'easy]
girljam Offline

Loc: FL
Wow Gary . . . So glad you are able to post about it, not so glad that it happened! Please take care of yourself!

PSR S970, PSR S910, ShureSM57 mics, and way too much misc.

#472677 - 07/11/19 10:37 AM Re: OT - I'm home! [Re: girljam]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Hi Gary,

Welcome back. I admire your guts!!! At least you had one last final trip to add to your many other memories.

Hope your arm & elbow gets better soon.

All the best,

Henni

#472678 - 07/11/19 10:49 AM Re: OT - I'm home! [Re: Henni]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
WOW! Maybe I won't make it to your place to sail...EVER!

Just had lunch with a new friend who is information chairman of a
local chapter of a group called America's Boating Club. He has a 38 footer somewhere near you. Supposedly, the club is over 100 years old and nationwide, with over 60,000 members.

BE CAREFUL. I just decided to get off motorcycles permanently...one of the hardest things I've ever done.

At least I am going to do it before I hurt myself or someone else.

Russ

#472681 - 07/11/19 11:09 AM Re: OT - I'm home! [Re: travlin'easy]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Glad you made it home safely, Gary. All good things must eventually end... but it can't be an easy decision.

----Dave

#472685 - 07/11/19 11:37 AM Re: OT - I'm home! [Re: Riceroni9]
Dnj Offline

Gary wow!!!

Glad your ok,... you were lucky this time around,.... stop
sometimes you just have to remember the good times
and move on to what next in life to make you happy..
Good luck buddy.

#472699 - 07/11/19 01:12 PM Re: OT - I'm home! [Re: travlin'easy]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Gary, Very close call and happy to hear you made it back in one piece. To quote Kenny Rogers song “ya gotta know when to fold ‘em.”

#472708 - 07/11/19 03:33 PM Re: OT - I'm home! [Re: travlin'easy]
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
If I've ever met anyone who could live life to the fullest it is you, Gary!! I really think you could write a book about all your adventures. Remember......whenever any adventure ends means another can begin !!! Best wishes. -charley

#472710 - 07/11/19 04:49 PM Re: OT - I'm home! [Re: rattley]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Gary, what a hair rising story. Yes, there was danger and possible harm, but you have another adventure to add to your long list.

I DID IT M Y WAY
Proud of you my friend, John c.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online