SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#472647 - 07/11/19 03:47 AM Re: Live Arranger Keyboard & Piano playing | 07-07-201 [Re: john smies]
Tostie Offline

Originally Posted By john smies

What has come to draw my attention over the last 12 months or more is the fact that more often than not performances on the Genos are INSTRUMENTAL rather than backing up vocals.

Trust me, you don't want to hear this fellow countryman sing. eek

#472650 - 07/11/19 07:15 AM Re: Live Arranger Keyboard & Piano playing | 07-07-201 [Re: Dnj]
girljam Offline

Loc: FL
Fantastic Donny, as usual! Love the style change!
Yesterday while I was perusing my old desktop hard drive, I ran across a few of my very first attempts at recording when I had my first arranger, the 2100. Boy, I have come a long way, but considering I did not have much expertise with an arranger, they really weren’t that terrible, lol.

Hoping to record some things in the near future, I see most of you are using box or YouTube to share recordings . . .

PSR S970, PSR S910, ShureSM57 mics, and way too much misc.

#472652 - 07/11/19 07:18 AM Re: Live Arranger Keyboard & Piano playing | 07-07-201 [Re: Bill Lewis]
girljam Offline

Thanks Bill for the info , I may just order that book! Sometimes I see or read things that help me not only in my own playing, but give me ideas on how to best teach an idea or concept to others. I am familiar with the Nashville system, just don’t teach it at the moment.
Play on!

#472653 - 07/11/19 07:28 AM Re: Live Arranger Keyboard & Piano playing | 07-07-201 [Re: girljam]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By girljam
Fantastic Donny, as usual! Love the style change!

Hoping to record some things in the near future, I see most of you are using box or YouTube to share recordings . . .

Thanx Jill for the listen,...I just wanted to experiment with the KAOSS feature on my then KORG Pa4x unit with that song to see where it would go,...so many things can be achieved with all the great features on the KORG PA4x eg: KAOSS etc, if you take your time to learn them and open your mind to new ways of creating music,singing etc.
That said, I look forward to some of your work also...
have a great day !

#472654 - 07/11/19 07:29 AM Re: Live Arranger Keyboard & Piano playing | 07-07-201 [Re: bruno123]
girljam Offline

Originally Posted By bruno123
Jill, my favorite subject, chords. My wife who passed away in 1994 attended the School of Performing Arts, you would recognize the name Fame, there was a movie about the school. She played beautifully, sad to say she could not play without the music, unless she memorized the piece.

I started my journey with guitar. I studied with my first teacher for four years. After I spent my time searching for any teacher who knew more than I did. In 1987 I bought my first keyboard. (If my memory serves me right) I used all that I had learned with my guitar and brought it to the keyboard, the best thing I have ever done.

Part two: (smile) Chords and Chord Progression.

1-Chords are the basic harmony in all types of music.

2-Chord theory is important. You should be able to understand any chord, even if it is C13b9 sus4 #5. This is not a difficult learning.

3-If I am backing a singer or a solo instrument, chords and how they are played will effect notes they are singing or playing. Many years ago, a jazz singer asked if the accordion player would sit this one out. When I asked why she said; Accordion players normally voice their chords with the melody on top, which restricted her freedom to express what she was feeling.

4-Chords should be telling a story. It is that story that adds to a song. Chords are very important.

The above does nit normally apply to songs with three and four chords, but they could.

Jill, if you want the rest of the story please let me know.
John C.

Would love to hear the rest of your story! I am very familiar with NY School of Perf. Arts, my sister almost went there!! Ah yes, chords and harmonies.... one of FAV topics as well. I also sing and perform with a female acapella chorus. . . . And it is never MORE evident when is chord is discordant than when you are singing without music behind you!!!
Was considering becoming an arranger for barbershop groups . . .
PM me anytime!

]

Edited by girljam (07/11/19 07:30 AM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online