SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#472065 - 06/30/19 08:06 AM Hammond SK1 & SD90... ?
Dnj Offline

Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ?

Please make it stop...!!

I know, I know, .....why, why, why, ?
can't I just be happy with what I have ?

I hope Fran talks me out of this fast......
otherwise....

THOUGHTS?

Edited by Dnj (07/05/19 05:24 AM)

#472068 - 06/30/19 08:44 AM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Dnj]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Donny, Either way...your gonna love the Ketron keys
JM

#472072 - 06/30/19 08:55 AM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Dnj]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
THOUGHTS?

If the midi thing is a little scary...maybe just the sd9
JM

#472073 - 06/30/19 09:10 AM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You have the time and money, and you aren't really "gigging" that much. It will give you something to work on and play with.
You don't need to justify it. smile It's true Ketron has the best live sounds of any of the arrangers.

#472074 - 06/30/19 09:27 AM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
You have the time and money, and you aren't really "gigging" that much. It will give you something to work on and play with.
You don't need to justify it. smile It's true Ketron has the best live sounds of any of the arrangers.

Don all true makes good sense,....
I am well versed in Ketron units since
the X1 years ago, etc,etc,etc, thru today's units/modules,...
having almost ALL of them, and recently two SD7's also..
choosing the SD9 vs the module and SK1 could be a pain in the butt.
Certainly food for thought as this will probably be gear wise the Last Hurrah so why not enjoy it since I have much more time to explore and create music at home. At this point I am considering it.
All aspects must be weighed. I am not excluding other avenues also. Appreciate all the good thoughts...
keep them coming!!

Take care.

Edited by Dnj (06/30/19 05:47 PM)

#472077 - 06/30/19 09:42 AM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
this will probably be gear wise the Last Hurrah so why not enjoy it since I have much more time to explore and create music at home.

but...but won't that take time away from Synthzone??

smile

chas

#472079 - 06/30/19 09:47 AM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Originally Posted By Dnj
this will probably be gear wise the Last Hurrah so why not enjoy it since I have much more time to explore and create music at home.

but...but won't that take time away from Synthzone??

smile
chas

Chas as always thank you for your deep thoughts
and helpful guidance it's always appreciated.

#472092 - 06/30/19 11:50 AM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Donny
I think you need to think of your needs, first module or SD9, second, will you use the advanced features of the SD 90 or SD9 to the extent of the price difference to the SD40,eg. I am an absolute dumb cluck at midi. I, even had no problem except when I tried something out of the ordinary, but I am very content with a basic midi setup, and don't try and send midi control messages to parameters that are right in front of me on the touch screen.

SD90- a fine flagship, but I didn't need that modern stuff. For you, it is self contained with more controls on the board so you wouldn't have to reach up and touch the module(no advantage to me). The advanced features, for you, may, or may not be fully utilized.

SD90 and SK1, or any other controller, would make it more versatile, and not confined to one keyboard.

To summarize; I looked at the very same scenario and loved the Hammond sound, as well as Ketron styles and voices, especially, with AJ's basic package, which adds so much more to an already large palette of sounds and styles.

The last factor, for me, was the use of a small Korg Microkey Air and my SD40 at six or seven pounds total-under my arm and out the door, and what a sound.
Everyone is different-just my take

#472094 - 06/30/19 11:59 AM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Bernie thanx for all the common sense thoughts....really gives me food for thought here. I Know you love to experiment with all you have and that is pretty awesome my friend..

take care

#472096 - 06/30/19 12:24 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Bernie (and any other SK1/SK2 owners), do you use an expression pedal (true expression, not volume) with your SK1/2? If so, what brand and model and how would you rate it's range (midi 0-127) and 'feel' compared to the real thing on a B3? Just curious. I have several types on my organ(s) and some work better on some organs than others. I've never had or even played an SK series (although I've only heard good things from owners) so I was just curious if there was a consensus favorite among SK users. Thanks.

chas

#472102 - 06/30/19 01:34 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

What about the Sk1.. Midi'd to the S670?
And use the Yamaha styles?
Thoughts?

Edited by Dnj (06/30/19 01:41 PM)

#472103 - 06/30/19 01:51 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
No need for midi, use the SK1 to play solos, and comp chords, and reach your left hand up to trigger the Yammy

#472104 - 06/30/19 01:59 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Donny,
I'll bet my sox that this is clearly a guilty pleasure deal driven from boredom, so ... sit back and think carefully. You are not likely to love using a 2 kb setup at home. If you miss the organ drawbars, maybe look for a module that you can sit on your desk, and fiddle with. Simple midi cable from the 670, and a volume pedal brings in the color.
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Ferrofish/B4000-Organ-Module-With-Drawbars.gc
not such a big investment, either
BTW - this is a solid bet, on my end - I don't wear SOX! lol

#472105 - 06/30/19 02:02 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I know a B3 player would use an expression pedal, but I have always used a Yamaha volume pedal on everything. No, it is not expressive like a B3 pedal with a quick burst, but then, I am not a jazz player either.

#472106 - 06/30/19 02:04 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Please explain the actual difference I'd hear between volume and expression? I have never heard a difference in an outboard pedal, using a midi instrument.

#472109 - 06/30/19 02:33 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Volume (midi code 7) and Expression (midi code 11) COULD be used interchangeably since they do the same thing, however, volume is usually a 'fixed' thing while expression is usually used for crescendos and decrescendos. As I'm sure you've noticed, they are labeled separately in music stores and also are usually different in appearance with expression pedals usually larger and with longer physical throws. This would make it more nuanced (and dynamic) through the range.

chas

#472110 - 06/30/19 02:47 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: cgiles]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Donny, you are using the wrong criteria to judge what you shoould do. You are really not for the best sound, or ease-of-use. You are just looking for something new to play with.

With that in mind buy whatever, never regret it, and above all
enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. And be thankful that you have the means to do what is making you HAPPY.

Life is so good, John C.

PS, I am approaching 90, about two years to go --- And I am ready to get a new model something when it comes out. Can’t wait.
(HAPPY -- NICE)

#472112 - 06/30/19 04:20 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: bruno123]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By bruno123

I am approaching 90, about two years to go --- And I am ready to get a new model something when it comes out. Can’t wait.
(HAPPY -- NICE)

You are a pretty cool guy, John....I like your posts...lots of good positive energy...and obviously hard earned wisdom.

Yamaha makes a mini keyboard called the Reface YC-37...check out some of the online demos...I played one shortly (an hour) in the store...very convincing B-3/Leslie emulation (really nice overdrive)...way, way better than the drawbar organ emulations in the Tyros/PSR/CVP/Genos...can easily be midi'd to the latter (check your manual first).
I'm very surprised the Reface YC's innards weren't included in the Genos...different divisions I guess. Too bad, as the Genos' drawbar organs don't sound much better (if at all) than my Tyros4's (it still has that too clean "Electone" quality...not ballsy like a Hammond...or the little Reface yc-37). wink

It's something Donny could look into...not too much loot, either.

Best wishes,

Ian

#472114 - 06/30/19 04:36 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: bruno123]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Donny, you are using the wrong criteria to judge what you shoould do. You are really not for the best sound, or ease-of-use. You are just looking for something new to play with.

With that in mind buy whatever, never regret it, and above all
enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. And be thankful that you have the means to do what is making you HAPPY.

Life is so good, John C.

PS, I am approaching 90, about two years to go --- And I am ready to get a new model something when it comes out. Can’t wait.
(HAPPY -- NICE)

John, I second your comments to Donny and the comment Ian made about your posts, you have a lot of wisdom, no doubt about it. I know where a lot of that wisdom of it comes from too. smile smile

P.S. Ian good to see you post! cool

#472116 - 06/30/19 05:25 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: ianmcnll]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By ianmcnll

I am approaching 90, about two years to go --- And I am ready to get a new model something when it comes out. Can’t wait.
(HAPPY -- NICE)

You are a pretty cool guy, John....I like your posts...lots of good positive energy...and obviously hard earned wisdom.

Yamaha makes a mini keyboard called the Reface YC-37...check out some of the online demos...I played one shortly (an hour) in the store...very convincing B-3/Leslie emulation (really nice overdrive)...way, way better than the drawbar organ emulations in the Tyros/PSR/CVP/Genos...can easily be midi'd to the latter (check your manual first).
I'm very surprised the Reface YC's innards weren't included in the Genos...different divisions I guess. Too bad, as the Genos' drawbar organs don't sound much better (if at all) than my Tyros4's (it still has that too clean "Electone" quality...not ballsy like a Hammond...or the little Reface yc-37). wink

It's something Donny could look into...not too much loot, either.

Best wishes,

Ian

Check it out with a more elaborate setup.

#472117 - 06/30/19 05:40 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Nice demo with only two chords, wink
...but those TINY keys on the reface I don't know about eek2
brings back korg micro arranger days... frown

Edited by Dnj (06/30/19 05:43 PM)

#472118 - 06/30/19 06:41 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Good demo, Fran...not a lot of playing, but, a nice demo of how powerful it is with midi...small keys wouldn't matter much.

I was down to three choices back several months ago when I was thinking about getting a Hammond or Hammond emulator (had a Blues group situation that fell through, unfortunately)...the Hammond SK-1 (which I played and really liked very much indeed) and which was highly recommended by Bernie, the Roland VR-09 (also awesome...in some ways better than the SK-1 and very lightweight) and the Yamaha Reface YC-37 midi'd to either my Tyros4 or PSR-S775.

I didn't try it, but maybe the drawbar organ controls in the controller(Tyros, CVP, higher end PSR, etc.) can change the corresponding drawbars on the Reface (not physically, of course, but maybe internally?)...perhaps someone over at PSR Tutorial might have an answer. I'm too busy playing and enjoying...it was hard to shake the old me who was always considering how to best demonstrate an instrument. Now playing is fun again, mostly improvising/composing on the arranger and the occasional jam with a friend who plays a mean Fender Tele.

Hi Steve...the little PSR-S775 is a monster...and it is so cool to have built-in speakers again. I'm still an arranger advocate, although I'm content just to play and enjoy and leave the promotions to those getting paid for them.

I can tell by your posts that you are doing well...cooly along, one day at a time like me...in spite of the occasional shit-storm mad ...seriously, playing music keeps us alive...I call it my "safe addiction". wink

Best wishes,

Ian

#472121 - 06/30/19 07:49 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Ian, a couple years ago I was considering the YC to use as a controller for my DAW and software.. I had a chance to talk to a Yamaha rep.. and he came to the conclusion that the keyboard could not transmit or receive cc commands.

So I don't think your Tyros would change parameters via midi.

#472123 - 06/30/19 08:04 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Thanks Fran...I was hopeful as I may end up getting one anyway...it's so tiny it would sit on the music rack of the S775 and the drawbars wouldn't be too far away...it will transpose via midi and I don't mind the small keys. I love the crunch you can get out of it, and the Leslie sim is excellent...again, why they didn't put this instrument's innards in the Genos is beyond me...probably some kind of divisional issue...who knows?

I'll download the manuals and check out the specs.

Ian

#472125 - 06/30/19 10:44 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: ianmcnll]
Torch Offline

The Yamaha YC receives and transmits tons of CC messages. Just about all the buttons and drawbars do. I played it at NAMM a few years ago and I really liked the sounds. The MIDI implementation is not in the manual and in the following PDF

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/7/794817/reface_en_dl_b0.pdf
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#472126 - 06/30/19 11:16 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Torch]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By Torch
The Yamaha YC receives and transmits tons of CC messages. Just about all the buttons and drawbars do. I played it at NAMM a few years ago and I really liked the sounds. The MIDI implementation is not in the manual and in the following PDF

Chris I specifically asked the rep , if the YC would transmit the drawbars and leslie control to my pc DAW.. He said it would not..

I do notice some cc transmits in the manual, but a lot of important ones are X (no).

I had visions of replacing my Korg nanocontrol, with the YC.

#472127 - 07/01/19 12:48 AM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Fran Carango]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Ian, Steve, thank you for your kind words. Kind words always add to guy’s day. Much of my wisdom comes from, there isn’t much time, so let me get it all in. I do my best to kill all negatives, they destroy.

Fran, great post, thanks. My first keyboard was a mid-range Yamaha; I used midi to connect a synth. I knew Jerry Ash, Sam Ash’s son; I was Jerry’s son’s guitar teacher. I was in Jerry’s office; they were talking about importing their first synthesizer., they were trying to decide if there was a market for it.

John C.

#472130 - 07/01/19 05:24 AM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: ianmcnll]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA

Hi Steve...the little PSR-S775 is a monster...and it is so cool to have built-in speakers again. I'm still an arranger advocate, although I'm content just to play and enjoy and leave the promotions to those getting paid for them.

I can tell by your posts that you are doing well...cooly along, one day at a time like me...in spite of the occasional shit-storm mad ...seriously, playing music keeps us alive...I call it my "safe addiction". wink

Best wishes,

Ian

Ian, Yup same boat here cruising along one day at a time and navigating thru the occasional “shit storm.”

#472143 - 07/01/19 07:33 AM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Dnj]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Donny- SD60?? 61 keys instead of larger SD9??

Edited by sparky589 (07/01/19 07:33 AM)

#472145 - 07/01/19 08:33 AM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: sparky589]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By sparky589
Donny- SD60?? 61 keys instead of larger SD9??

Nope.... I'm done for now.... Holding the course!

#472151 - 07/01/19 10:12 AM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Fran Carango]
Torch Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
The Yamaha YC receives and transmits tons of CC messages. Just about all the buttons and drawbars do. I played it at NAMM a few years ago and I really liked the sounds. The MIDI implementation is not in the manual but in the following PDF

Chris I specifically asked the rep , if the YC would transmit the drawbars and leslie control to my pc DAW.. He said it would not..

I do notice some cc transmits in the manual, but a lot of important ones are X (no).

I had visions of replacing my Korg nanocontrol, with the YC.
Often times, I find that factory reps do not really know much about the very products they demonstrate and even give the wrong information. Then whoever hears the wrong information becomes a false prophet against one’s will. It is amazing how the Yamaha rep could tell you such misinformation when the YC can actually send and receive so many CC messages from every single button and slider as in the data sheet. In fact, I am surprised that YC is so capable as a midi controller.

#472153 - 07/01/19 10:14 AM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Checking the ol' wallet CAN have a sobering effect on gearlust, unless, of course, you're just stirring the pot for the sake of stirring the pot. Boredom can drive that too. In any case, we patiently await your next great, sometimes latent, discovery. Hey, if you're really that bored, you can always pay me a visit; I've got lots of toys. It'll be like Trump and Pelosi smile.

Your BFF,

chas

PS: If you answer this within the next 5 minutes, I will win a $5.00 bet. Seriously!! (so let's get a move on smile ).

#472161 - 07/01/19 11:22 AM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Torch]
ianmcnll Offline

Often times, I find that factory reps do not really know much about the very products they demonstrate and even give the wrong information. Then whoever hears the wrong information becomes a false prophet against one’s will. It is amazing how the Yamaha rep could tell you such misinformation when the YC can actually send and receive so many CC messages from every single button and slider as in the data sheet. In fact, I am surprised that YC is so capable as a midi controller.

Thanks for clarifying the issue, Torch. You are right on the mark. One of The Four Agreements, "Don't make Assumptions" applies very well in this case, smile

The instrument is a little gem.

Ian

#472173 - 07/01/19 02:01 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: cgiles]
124 Offline

Checking the ol' wallet CAN have a sobering effect on gearlust, unless, of course, you're just stirring the pot for the sake of stirring the pot. Boredom can drive that too. In any case, we patiently await your next great, sometimes latent, discovery. Hey, if you're really that bored, you can always pay me a visit; I've got lots of toys. It'll be like Trump and Pelosi smile.

Your BFF,

chas

PS: If you answer this within the next 5 minutes, I will win a $5.00 bet. Seriously!! (so let's get a move on smile ).

HaHa! There's five bucks you've blown. Coulda put it towards a new accordion. :):)

#472174 - 07/01/19 02:04 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Your BFF,

chas

First and foremost I don't discuss politics with anyone,........
that said, you will probably be waiting a long time,
...as I said, I am cured & cautious.
Happy to a point with my S670 & now "clean studio"
now that all the dusty gear I bought, traded, etc, is gone...
except for my computer, laptops, tablet,
and DAW recording programs, speakers, mics, headphones, etc,..
sorry you lost the bet...have a GREAT EVENING. cool2

#472176 - 07/01/19 02:19 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Donny, I wasn't discussing politics (I do that at The Bar), I was just trying to get a SMILE out of you (boredom seems to have you a little on edge lately). If it makes you feel any better, I am a worst offender than you 'cause I tend to KEEP all the crap I buy on impulse (usually influenced by Fran, DonM, and Uncle Dave smile ).

The truth is, I wanted to see if I could keep you from posting for five minutes; guess what? It worked.

smile

All in fun.

chas

#472178 - 07/01/19 02:39 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: 124]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By 124

HaHa! There's five bucks you've blown. Coulda put it towards a new accordion. :):)

Yeah, that's on my 'bucket list'.....but I'm sort of hoping I die first smile.

chas

#472179 - 07/01/19 02:39 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Chas, I am at peace with myself at this time.
After all the thoughtful discussions and ideas
which really makes sense, and with the mention of
garage band which I forgot I have on my iPad.
Played with the GB app a bit Organs, Pianos, EP, etc,
they sound great, so do my VST's on my DAW programs....
and then realized that I don't need any of it
or any new other gear then what I already have for my needs.
Oh yeah my bar days are over I don't smoke or drink. wink

#472183 - 07/01/19 03:15 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Donny, I meant the SYNTHZONE BAR. I don't smoke or drink either and haven't been in a bar since I stopped playing in one (a Jazz club really) several years ago. I'm glad you've found inner peace; that's something we all strive for, I guess. But the question is, can one be at peace and bored at the same time? Seems to me that if one is still bored, they are still striving for or looking for, something. I'm sure that's the case with me. Oh well, I guess we have to follow where the path leads.....or do we? smile smile

chas

#472189 - 07/01/19 03:47 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Take the road less travelled ...

#472191 - 07/01/19 03:56 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

HA HA, Tony I was thinking that.....it will make all the difference smile.

....and stop plagiarizing smile smile.

chas

#472193 - 07/01/19 04:18 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Donny, if that Hammond bug is still eating away at you, you could look into these two possibilities, both of which I own. 1) the Viscount Legend Exp module ($795) which is very midi-friendly - of course, it's a module smile. It's probably the best organ you're going to get at that price. ..or
2) Numa Compact 2x which, in addition to the Numa organ (decent) has additional sounds including a decent acoustic piano and a killer acoustic bass. Also, you get 88 keys, drawbars, and a very user-friendly OS/control surface. Check 'um out.

chas

#472194 - 07/01/19 04:53 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
HA HA, Tony I was thinking that.....it will make all the difference smile.

....and stop plagiarizing smile smile.

chas

You want me to come up with something original?!? ...

#472201 - 07/02/19 06:53 AM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Donny, if that Hammond bug is still eating away at you, you could look into these two possibilities, both of which I own. 1) the Viscount Legend Exp module ($795) which is very midi-friendly - of course, it's a module smile. It's probably the best organ you're going to get at that price. ..or
2) Numa Compact 2x which, in addition to the Numa organ (decent) has additional sounds including a decent acoustic piano and a killer acoustic bass. Also, you get 88 keys, drawbars, and a very user-friendly OS/control surface. Check 'um out.

chas

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Viscount+Legend+Exp+module[/video]

The Numa Compact 2x caught my attention in a few ways watching the demo...
small lightweight, 88 keys, drawbars, modeling, etc..
and @ 22:00 he shows using & playing along with
an iPad app iREAL B .....very cool stuff.cool2
I appreciate your offers but in reality
I have no need for either piece at this time .

Thanx

Edited by Dnj (07/02/19 07:38 AM)

#472218 - 07/02/19 01:44 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

#472221 - 07/02/19 02:23 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Cute little instrument. Like the form factor and some of the features BUT....got to be honest, I thought it was the worst of the recent 'clonewheels' in terms of sound, especially it's HAMMOND sounds (which is what most people want in a (mostly) dedicated clonewheel). I really like that morphing feature, something you could only do by (optionally) playing pedals (if you're doing the bass) and using one hand to change drawbars on the manual you were playing (something competent organist do all the time).

I was listening on decent monitors and if that's a true representation of it's sound, they won't sell five of them. Of course, with digitally based instruments, that could change with one firmware update smile. BTW, I know that Ralf is a bigtime demonstrator but I was not impressed with that demo. Hope they get it sorted out; the concept is good.

chas

#472222 - 07/02/19 02:29 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Cute little instrument. Like the form factor and some of the features BUT....got to be honest, I thought it was the worst of the recent 'clonewheels' in terms of sound, especially it's HAMMOND sounds (which is what most people want in a (mostly) dedicated clonewheel). I really like that morphing feature, something you could only do by (optionally) playing pedals (if you're doing the bass) and using one hand to change drawbars on the manual you were playing (something competent organist do all the time).

I was listening on decent monitors and if that's a true representation of it's sound, they won't sell five of them. Of course, with digitally based instruments, that could change with one firmware update smile. BTW, I know that Ralf is a bigtime demonstrator but I was not impressed with that demo. Hope they get it sorted out; the concept is good.

chas

I agree Chas with your assessment ... headphone

#472229 - 07/02/19 08:23 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: ianmcnll]
Torch Offline

Thanks for clarifying the issue, Torch. You are right on the mark. One of The Four Agreements, "Don't make Assumptions" applies very well in this case, smile
The instrument is a little gem.
Ian

Ian,
I agree that the YC is a gem especially for the low price. Even cheaper than a Leslie sim like the Neo Ventilator II. Watch this musician sending midi back and forth between his arranger keyboard and the YC. Pretty neat.

Chris

Edited by Torch (07/02/19 08:25 PM)

#472238 - 07/03/19 06:36 AM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Torch]
Dnj Offline

Edited by Dnj (07/03/19 06:39 AM)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online