SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#472117 - 06/30/19 05:40 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Nice demo with only two chords, wink
...but those TINY keys on the reface I don't know about eek2
brings back korg micro arranger days... frown

Edited by Dnj (06/30/19 05:43 PM)

#472118 - 06/30/19 06:41 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Good demo, Fran...not a lot of playing, but, a nice demo of how powerful it is with midi...small keys wouldn't matter much.

I was down to three choices back several months ago when I was thinking about getting a Hammond or Hammond emulator (had a Blues group situation that fell through, unfortunately)...the Hammond SK-1 (which I played and really liked very much indeed) and which was highly recommended by Bernie, the Roland VR-09 (also awesome...in some ways better than the SK-1 and very lightweight) and the Yamaha Reface YC-37 midi'd to either my Tyros4 or PSR-S775.

I didn't try it, but maybe the drawbar organ controls in the controller(Tyros, CVP, higher end PSR, etc.) can change the corresponding drawbars on the Reface (not physically, of course, but maybe internally?)...perhaps someone over at PSR Tutorial might have an answer. I'm too busy playing and enjoying...it was hard to shake the old me who was always considering how to best demonstrate an instrument. Now playing is fun again, mostly improvising/composing on the arranger and the occasional jam with a friend who plays a mean Fender Tele.

Hi Steve...the little PSR-S775 is a monster...and it is so cool to have built-in speakers again. I'm still an arranger advocate, although I'm content just to play and enjoy and leave the promotions to those getting paid for them.

I can tell by your posts that you are doing well...cooly along, one day at a time like me...in spite of the occasional shit-storm mad ...seriously, playing music keeps us alive...I call it my "safe addiction". wink

Best wishes,

Ian

#472121 - 06/30/19 07:49 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Ian, a couple years ago I was considering the YC to use as a controller for my DAW and software.. I had a chance to talk to a Yamaha rep.. and he came to the conclusion that the keyboard could not transmit or receive cc commands.

So I don't think your Tyros would change parameters via midi.

#472123 - 06/30/19 08:04 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Thanks Fran...I was hopeful as I may end up getting one anyway...it's so tiny it would sit on the music rack of the S775 and the drawbars wouldn't be too far away...it will transpose via midi and I don't mind the small keys. I love the crunch you can get out of it, and the Leslie sim is excellent...again, why they didn't put this instrument's innards in the Genos is beyond me...probably some kind of divisional issue...who knows?

I'll download the manuals and check out the specs.

Ian

#472125 - 06/30/19 10:44 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: ianmcnll]
Torch Offline

The Yamaha YC receives and transmits tons of CC messages. Just about all the buttons and drawbars do. I played it at NAMM a few years ago and I really liked the sounds. The MIDI implementation is not in the manual and in the following PDF

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/7/794817/reface_en_dl_b0.pdf
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#472126 - 06/30/19 11:16 PM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Torch]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Torch
The Yamaha YC receives and transmits tons of CC messages. Just about all the buttons and drawbars do. I played it at NAMM a few years ago and I really liked the sounds. The MIDI implementation is not in the manual and in the following PDF

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/7/794817/reface_en_dl_b0.pdf

Chris I specifically asked the rep , if the YC would transmit the drawbars and leslie control to my pc DAW.. He said it would not..

I do notice some cc transmits in the manual, but a lot of important ones are X (no).

I had visions of replacing my Korg nanocontrol, with the YC.

#472127 - 07/01/19 12:48 AM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Fran Carango]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Ian, Steve, thank you for your kind words. Kind words always add to guy’s day. Much of my wisdom comes from, there isn’t much time, so let me get it all in. I do my best to kill all negatives, they destroy.

Fran, great post, thanks. My first keyboard was a mid-range Yamaha; I used midi to connect a synth. I knew Jerry Ash, Sam Ash’s son; I was Jerry’s son’s guitar teacher. I was in Jerry’s office; they were talking about importing their first synthesizer., they were trying to decide if there was a market for it.

John C.

#472130 - 07/01/19 05:24 AM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: ianmcnll]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By ianmcnll

Hi Steve...the little PSR-S775 is a monster...and it is so cool to have built-in speakers again. I'm still an arranger advocate, although I'm content just to play and enjoy and leave the promotions to those getting paid for them.

I can tell by your posts that you are doing well...cooly along, one day at a time like me...in spite of the occasional shit-storm mad ...seriously, playing music keeps us alive...I call it my "safe addiction". wink

Best wishes,

Ian

Ian, Yup same boat here cruising along one day at a time and navigating thru the occasional “shit storm.”

#472143 - 07/01/19 07:33 AM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: Dnj]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Donny- SD60?? 61 keys instead of larger SD9??

Edited by sparky589 (07/01/19 07:33 AM)

#472145 - 07/01/19 08:33 AM Re: Hammond SK1 & SD90...OR KETRON SD9 ? [Re: sparky589]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By sparky589
Donny- SD60?? 61 keys instead of larger SD9??

Nope.... I'm done for now.... Holding the course!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online