SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#47199 - 08/11/02 07:42 PM multi-track recording
Jean Olivia Offline

Loc: Melbourne Victoria Australia
I notice in the 20 for 1 project that a lot of members record a number of extra "PARTS".
When I record an extra PART -If it is a complete counter melody or the melody line again with another instrument, I like to play it in with both hands as I feel I get a better result. This means I need to have the SPLIT on. I don't play piano style incidentally. I find the only way to keep the SPLIT is to record the LEFT even if I am not going to use it in the final recording, so I just keep on recording and re- recording the LEFT until I have all the extra tracks in that I need. I dont bother if its just a little arpeggio or a few notes- I just pop them in with the right hand. Does any one else do this or am I just showing my amateurism.? Maybe there is another way? I have watched the video on the sequencer, but it did not go into much detail on multi- tracking. I would have liked to see a bit more about adding extra rythmns on the rythmn track.Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Reguards to all. Jean.

#47200 - 08/12/02 03:12 AM Re: multi-track recording
technicsplayer Offline

if you need to use both hands to feel comfortable playing, just don't switch the left and apc parts to record. Leave them as playback if you are happy with them. You can still pound the old left fingers but it will be just dummy keyboard playing, while the right hand records your new part.

as far as extra rhythms are concerned, you can only record one auto play chord track. so to elaborate the rhythms is a job in the composer where you have 2 drum tracks, or use the easy composer where you can combine 3 sets of drum tracks to the final composer. So prepare your composers with varying levels of complexity, just like the variations, pop them in panel memories, and then change the panel memories during the course of the song.

The alternative is to use the pads, which are well suited to augment the styles since two track. In order to avoid playing rhythmically into the pad, record a style into the sequencer, do a apc to smf convert, then a sequencer to pad copy. Any parts of any style can thus be placed into the pads, and looped to play in addition to the normal style for however many measures you want. Instant rhythmic complexity!

#47201 - 08/13/02 06:47 AM Re: multi-track recording
Jean Olivia Offline

Thanks Alec for your reply.
This is how I have the keyboard set up. I have recorded the APC and the Control track also Right 1 and Right 2 and I also have recorded chords into Left even if I am not going to use them in the final "masterpiece". Now I want to record on Part 7,so I press the record button for 7 and the split light goes out. It comes on again if I put the Left on record.Its no great worry. I just wondered what everyone else did.
I am still working on the sequencer and trying to understand everything that it does. I should have said Percussion--not rythmn. I was interested in the way the percussion instruments in the sound explorer could be used. I have heard a few of the members in their 20 for 1 disks using the sound effects like rain and thunder etc, but am interested to see how some of the instruments could be used in perhaps, say, Latin Rythmns to add to them. I guess its trial and error.
I am starting on the composer now so I will be able to make use of your other suggestions. The Easy Composer sounds a good place to start. Thank you. Jean.

[This message has been edited by Jean Olivia (edited 08-13-2002).]

#47202 - 08/13/02 07:44 AM Re: multi-track recording
technicsplayer Offline

well one way of doing what you want to do is to copy your sound into sound edit. Using key layer you can silence the sound below the split point. Then use the sound edit in the new part.

You could change the notes below the split to silent notes in the sequencer note change after the recording, but this would probably be more long winded.

Experimenting with percussion is best done in the pads initially maybe? Step record some simple patterns as they loop, you can hear the results straight away, erase what you don't like etc. It's all the same (and more) in the composer.

#47203 - 08/13/02 04:24 PM Re: multi-track recording
Jean Olivia Offline

Alec . Thank you for all the information. I am going to follow all your suggestions and see what I can do. The scope of this keyboard is amazing, as is the depth of your knowledge on it.Meanwhile I have just done a version of Chatta-nooga , complete with train arriving at the station before the introduction although it took 2 of us to turn the Volume and the Pan button- but the results are good.Having fun. Jean.

#47204 - 08/13/02 04:31 PM Re: multi-track recording
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Jean, you have the right attitude - having fun! All the experimenting will lead one to new findings and further exploration. Between the composer and the sequencer, you have the expertise of any great conductor at your fingertips.....what a great name for a song.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online