SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#471518 - 06/21/19 05:03 PM Re: KORG EK-50 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Back to the EK 50. How do plan on using this KB Dave? Are you going to be using a VH with this KB? I’m sure everyone would love to here a demonstration by you. Keep us posted on you thoughts. Thanks!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#471535 - 06/22/19 07:05 AM Re: KORG EK-50 ... [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

#471536 - 06/22/19 07:06 AM Re: KORG EK-50 ... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Edited by Dnj (06/22/19 07:09 AM)

#471537 - 06/22/19 07:11 AM Re: KORG EK-50 ... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

#471540 - 06/22/19 08:53 AM Re: KORG EK-50 ... [Re: montunoman]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By montunoman
Back to the EK 50. How do plan on using this KB Dave? Are you going to be using a VH with this KB?

Paul, I bought this keyboard to fill a particular need for a quick in/out background setting at a local winery ,that I do once a month. I'll use a TC Perform VK for my vocals, but I'm not sure if this intimate setting will benefit from harmonies, since it's very low key/low volume endeavor. I find that electronic aids need a little more "air motion" to add the realism they require to not sound robotic. When my acoustic vocals will likely be louder that the amplified signal, the harmonies may not shine as well as they are capable of, in a more suited setting. Harmonies sound the best slightly behind in the mix, but this is going to be like singing in an overly reverberated living room. The giant wine tanks create a studio-like reverb, much like the early plates. It's really quite pleasant. Not boomy all all.

The biggest thing I need to wrap my head around is changing drum styles during playback of a song. I may have a few workarounds, but it's not as simple as pressing the tempo lock button. I respect what Korg has done in making this a simple, great sounding kb at a very affordable price, and I won't blame them if it falls short of my performance needs, but I'm dedicated to finding a way to make it work.

*** WAIT! ***

In a way - this IS all Korg's fault for not making the PAAS bar speaker able to amplify all the incoming signals that the PA4X allows. My 4x would be the perfect instrument for this job, if I could playback my ipad through the speakers (like the PA900 does), and not loose the mic/harmony features. Technically, it's possible if I use the Line Inputs, but then I need a small mixer, and external vocal processing, which takes away all the ease, and portability that the sound bar affords.
Sigh ... I'm such an odd duck - nothing off the rack (or shelf, in this case) seems to suit my particular style of creation. Sometimes I miss the old days when every instrument did ONE thing, and very well :
Rhodes, with a Moog bass, and synth on top, and drum machine du jour .... it was heaven .... but HEAVEY, and bulky.

I'm rambling. The EK50 should be perfectly suited for these jobs that I have at the winery, since I don't have the demand for quick changes to please a dance floor. It's cool, laid back, and should be very relaxing - for me, AND the audience. I'll try to record this beast when I get a chance.

Oh yes ... as for the way Fran and I RAZZ Donny - he is very aware that we love him dearly ... quirks, and all. Nothing we say here, can't be said right to his face. Our families know and enjoy each other, and we share a mutual respect for each others talents. That's basically true for most of us Zoners ... much of the trash talk we throw around is perceived more harshly than intended, because of the text format. Without body language, vocal inflection, and eye contact, a simple sentence can be taken out of context, or sound hurtful, when, in fact, it was only meant as a light hearted teasing. I'm kind of glad this forum is not as PC as the news media seems to want us all to be. We're all grownups here, with a common purpose, and if you can't take a joke ... don't engage.
What does Don Mason often say about wrestling pigs? (smile)
I truly believe that this place is a safe haven for all, and underneath our skins, we're mostly the same ... creative, poetic souls looking to connect with like minded beings. Bravo, Nigel for allowing us to gather in such a positive environment!

smile
peace

#471544 - 06/22/19 09:06 AM Re: KORG EK-50 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Never 'rassle with a pig. You can't win, you get all muddy and the pig loves it!

#471547 - 06/22/19 09:42 AM Re: KORG EK-50 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave

Oh yes ... as for the way Fran and I RAZZ Donny - he is very aware that we love him dearly ... quirks, and all. Nothing we say here, can't be said right to his face. Our families know and enjoy each other, and we share a mutual respect for each others talents.
peace

#471549 - 06/22/19 10:24 AM Re: KORG EK-50 ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Thanks for explaining on how you intend on using the EK 50 Dave.
I know you use a lot of VH so I was wondering how you would do so as the EK 50 didn’t have a midi out, correct?

Personally I’m looking for a battery KB and speaker for low key out door events
like back yard parties where it can be a hassle having to use those long ass extension chords, hoping nobody trips! Also I might want to try to busk sometime....

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#471550 - 06/22/19 10:34 AM Re: KORG EK-50 ... [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

Also I might want to try to busk sometime....

#471557 - 06/22/19 02:11 PM Re: KORG EK-50 ... [Re: montunoman]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
the EK 50 didn’t have a midi out, correct?

That's the beauty of the "Perform" series by TC. The Perform VK has 1/4" line inputs for your keyboard signal. No midi needed for chord recognition.
As an added plus, the VK has an 1/8" aux in that I use with my iPad ... the unit also reads chords from this input, so even if I walk out front, or play guitar, or sax, the track feeds the chords to the harmonizer.

All this is jolly well good in theory ... I'll let you all know how it works in practice, once I take it out on a job.
smile

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online